• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Painting order

AndySeven

I'm painting an ABS body i.e. exterior paint. There are 4 main colours, purple body, gold roof, white bonnet, windows dark gray. In what order do you suggest I paint it?

go fine line tape and fill out with standard masking tape. the fine line tape will let you make some lovely curves. 

mask of the hood - roof - windows 

now heres how i would tackle, lay down a full gray underocat, let it dry up the mask the body out

fineline taping curves i need-want and filling out with normal masking tape.

shoot over a few fine coats, wait for some good light and have a look at the deepness.

shoot a couple more fine coats and let it fully cure dry.

fineline tape as close to the hood masking as possible and remove the hood masking itself

newspaper stuck to the hood fineline tape to prevent any overspray on the purp, shoot the white hood

same amount of coats as the purp , let it cure then unmask the whole front. mask up the body round the roof panel

to capture ANY overspray of gold onto the white bonnet and purp body, carefully shot the gold same amount of coats as the rest of body.

let it dry then unmask. 

would go with smoking the windows , use something like a tamiya smoke spray ( can use this on all rc windows to get that smokey tint look)

here that fineline tape will come into glorious use.

use the fine liner tape to make lush curves following the window outline, the use masking tape and newspaper

to mask up so you do not overspray onto the white bonnet , purple body wings and the gold roof panel.

spray your smoke effect spray and let it start to take up around 5-10 mins then peel off the masking

carefully. and leave to dry. 

for the ultimate finish, you can go a glossy clear coat , or i would maybe go with more a satin clear coat,

has that sheen but not super in your face shiney fake look

Edited by Tamiyacowboy