• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 Truggy's?

Hello there everyone

New to the site, so please be gentle with me lol

Been dicking around with some RC drift cars recently to take up the time when I can't get out and race my motorbike or get out kite buggying/surfing as I have access to a huge underground car park with polished concrete floor =)

However I'm thinking of getting myself something for a bit of a mess around, or bashing as you guys call it, in a more off road/all terrain kind of variety. Mainly as I have access to acres of fields at my parents house as well as various jumps/tracks around Bristol.

So having done a bit of digging already I'm pretty sure that I want a 1/8th scale truggy as I'm not really looking at racing, and I want something with both a bit of speed (unlike an MT) but also the ground clearance for bigger jumps etc (unlike a buggy).

Also probably want to stick with electric like my drifters as it's less hassle for me in the long run, but not fussy when it comes to building/modding/converting (I love building and tinkering). Just want to get something that handles well and will also take a good bashing without falling to pieces after the first jump.

Had heard that I might be better with a dedicated electric truggy rather than a conversion as some conversions weight balance isn't great compared to an electric dedicated truggy. Is this true?

Originally I was looking at the Sabertooth Basher from hobbyking as they look pretty decent value and performance and having watched a few reviews on youtube etc much as they have a couple of weakspots - these are easily upgraded/rectified for not much money. The only thing really putting me off is the parts support in the UK.

Then started looking at a few other models and ideas. Such as the Absima Torch E (Team C T8TE I seem to recall) at a similar price point, ARRMA Kraton 6S and Talion 6S as they seem pretty decent out of the box and there are some good deals. Are there any other RTR or ARR models that I should have a look at as well? Also has anyone got any advice about the ARRMA Typhon 6S (buggy I know) as they are only

IMO, the best bang for your buck is a Losi 8ight-Te.

Unbelievably strong, take a proper hammering (mine did) with the HobbyWing 150a ESC and 2000kv motor, ample power and speed even on 4s, but capable of taking 6s (might want to go lower kv if you want to use 6s though)

I loved it, still regret selling it and keeping toying with the idea of another one.

Problem with going for cheaper brands is access to spares and such.

For the same price, you could get an 8ight-Te roller second hand, new electrics and have a bit of change for a LiPo or two.

You'd have an ultimately much stronger truggy then, with more reliable electrics.

Hmm not really, a used roller and conversion plus leccies would probably still end up over budget.

But....the ARRMA stuff has not been getting blinding reviews recently so in my opinion it really is better to spend a little more and buy the right one first.

You use a kit buggy in an underground car park ... wow ;)

As mentioned above...your budget is going to really limit your options. I tried building a Hyper ST conversion, and getting it all together on a budget was a real issue. The conversion kit for the Hyper is only around

• Like 1

Actually Nitro, I don't currently, just the drift cars - however that may well change soon if I'm feeling brave lol

As for the budget, I've not set a firm budget but at the same time I'm not going to go spending willy nilly just because, has to be justifiable in the long run.

Like buying a Castle ESC or motor, or getting higher discharge and capacity batteries etc. - on the battery front the only reason I asked about my current ones is I was hoping I could get away with using them for the time being and look at some better batteries in a month or two when funds allow. I had heard suggestions that I could probably get away with 30C (not counting the mah issue)

On the ESC front do I really need to go for a 150A ESC over say a 120A ESC - ultimately I would like to have the option to run 6S but mainly be on 4S I'm thinking.

What about a Thunder tiger mt4 g3 ? It's basically a truggy with a truck body ,6s capable and pretty strong.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-mt4-g3-monster-truck-brushless-blue-/rc-car-products/39002

Good call.

Wer have u seen the arrma buggy for 299?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-typhon-blx-4wd-brushless-rtr-silver-/rc-car-products/386972  :thumbsup:

Actually MyDoddy, you seem to know your fair share of TT things.

I do really like the look of the ST4 over the MT4, but the better electrics are swinging it for me (plus they are easier to find over here, not many places selling ST4's online from what I could see).

From what I could tell the MT4 and ST4 are nearly the same product anyway so was hoping I could buy the MT4 and just bolt on the rear wing off an ST4 and slap a ST4 shell on as well or is there a lot more to it than that?

Also I'm guessing the ST1 was/is nitro based - is there an off the shelf conversion available? Is it worth going down this road instead of the just getting an ST4/MT4 in the first place?

And finally, pure speculation, but as it's been out for four years and I'm sure that there is a good chance they are about to update the MT4 G3? What about the eMTA-G2 - is it worth a look as no one has mentioned that to me yet? Also noticed something called a K-Rock MT4 Mid-Engined model?

And double finally (lol) any suggestions on the spares front for one - the biggest issue I have with TT at the moment is that they are in transition from distributors and therefore there are no parts currently available easily (I've checked Tower, Asiatees, MSUK and anywhere else I could think of).

Actually MyDoddy, you seem to know your fair share of TT things.

I do really like the look of the ST4 over the MT4, but the better electrics are swinging it for me (plus they are easier to find over here, not many places selling ST4's online from what I could see).

From what I could tell the MT4 and ST4 are nearly the same product anyway so was hoping I could buy the MT4 and just bolt on the rear wing off an ST4 and slap a ST4 shell on as well or is there a lot more to it than that?

Also I'm guessing the ST1 was/is nitro based - is there an off the shelf conversion available? Is it worth going down this road instead of the just getting an ST4/MT4 in the first place?

And finally, pure speculation, but as it's been out for four years and I'm sure that there is a good chance they are about to update the MT4 G3? What about the eMTA-G2 - is it worth a look as no one has mentioned that to me yet? Also noticed something called a K-Rock MT4 Mid-Engined model?

And double finally (lol) any suggestions on the spares front for one - the biggest issue I have with TT at the moment is that they are in transition from distributors and therefore there are no parts currently available easily (I've checked Tower, Asiatees, MSUK and anywhere else I could think of).

I will try and answer some ??

The st4 is the same platform as the mt4 only difference was esc in the st4 is only rated as 80a 4s max where the mt4 is 150a 6s max . The shocks are big bores on the st4 but are plastic bodied . The other difference is the shell and wheels ..

The st1 is a nitro and yes you can buy a off the shelf conversion kit .. This is where the mt4 comes from personally I like the st1 layout better ..

The mt4 is still in production but there is a new mt4 G5 due out around May I believe, but not confirmed..

Spares at the minute are short but this is due to the transition of suppliers, but the opening of the European warehouse should get things improved in time, I have seen an improvement of restocking of the actual mt4 on Modelsport so my guess would be spares should be getting better in the future too.

The new G5 has the same front and rear end as the G3 so spares for the G3 even it was discontinued won't be a problem same as the st1 as that shares the same front and rear end ..

If you want spares HRP are taking over stateside and should be getting stock very soon .. Chinese new year always slows things down so just give it a while and things should be back to usual soon .

Think that covers all you asked

ST4 had a rep for bending shock towers....which the MT4 doesn't. I have owned several ST-1s and they were ace. No longer made...but ace. The driveline in the ST/GT4 is taken directly from the old ST-1.

The MTA was a bit too plastic for my liking, and had silly enclosed ESC and motor that looked bound to trap heat and give issues.

If I wanted another ...I'd be tempted by that Hyper ST. Looks like it was the basic model to start with, but has all the added bracing the Pro got. Don't bother with the stock wheels/tyres unless they have been taped. They will balloon like crazy..... mine did ;)

Check what diff oil has been put in. They need quite thick oil in the centre diff....and check the centre one has been properly shimmed. Mine used to eat them. But then I think I might have got OTT on the motor ;)