• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Skyrc Toro 8s 150A Brushless Sensored ESC for 1/8

jahk20

Anyone tried this ESC?

Looks like a good deal on ebay.

I am looking for a decent 1/8 ESC and motor for a buggy. Don't wanna go and spend a lot but I don't want a cheap and unreliable system.

Any suggestions?

8S for a 1/8 buggy?  Hugely overkill.  6S is insanely quick in a 1/8, even a heavier older one.

Generally the hobbywing 150a/~2000kv combo is recommended for 6S if not on a tight budget and you want the power.  Personally have run all 4 of mine on 4S, inc 2300kv on 19/46 gearing on a Hyper - more than enough speed.

Edited by capri-boy

8S for a 1/8 buggy?  Hugely overkill.  6S is insanely quick in a 1/8, even a heavier older one.

Generally the hobbywing 150a/~2000kv combo is recommended for 6S if not on a tight budget and you want the power.  Personally have run all 4 of mine on 4S, inc 2300kv on 19/46 gearing on a Hyper - more than enough speed.

My hyper 9e gearing is 19/46 but I was getting the esc and moto really hot and in the end the esc failed and went up in smoke( motor just lost power and started spinning without moving the buggy so probably is dead)

Now looking for a decent esc and motor.

There is a flux esc on forum for sale but it was repaired and I'm not sure if is a good idea to use a repaired ESC.

I think you've got a Leopard motor for sale. I shall have another look to see.

If I would go with a 2650kv motor and a 15 tooth pinion, would that drain my battery faster that a normal 2200kv with a 19 toot pinion?

Edited by jahk20

2650kv is 4s only.

Lower kV runs cooler and is more efficient in terms of current draw, provided your gearing is correct, which, as you've already burnt out one ESC and motor is something you need to address.

hi, yh I've got a leopard 2100kv +120a hobby wing esc for sale.

I don't know how the 9's front and rear diffs are geared but on the 7 19\46 is doable for track, short grass use

esc makes a difference, I ran the 2300 with a HW 120a at 19/46 yet the same can with a hobbyking 120a cheap esc got too hot and needed 17/46.

When it comes to 'good' and 'cheap' .... they seldom go well together ni a description of an ESC.

No problem with repaired ESCs as long as they are properly repaired by the right people. If it went back to Castle for a warranty repair, it will be as good as new. If it was patched up, or had some parts replaced on the board, you won;t have any kind of warranty on the repair. The Flux Blur is just re-badged Castle gear.

Very little is 'sure' in terms of ESCs when you ramp up the voltage. I had an XERun..supposedly a good reliable ESC....and it turned itself into a molten blob of plastic for no good reason. Only got a few runs out of it, kept a close eye on temps and geared it conservatively. All part of the 'fun'

8s is just model name not input voltage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toro-pro-8s-Brushless-Sensored-ESC-150A-for-1-8-Scale-RC-car-/171426383496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e9cf0688

toros last 150a esc had issue with filmware n set up if remember right, however this 8s model could be improved? only way to know is purchase an try it, its cheap to experiment with.

8s is just model name not input voltage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toro-pro-8s-Brushless-Sensored-ESC-150A-for-1-8-Scale-RC-car-/171426383496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e9cf0688

toros last 150a esc had issue with filmware n set up if remember right, however this 8s model could be improved? only way to know is purchase an try it, its cheap to experiment with.

Thanks for pointing that out!  Cheap marketing trick calling it 8S.....  150a generally means upto 6s, as 120a does 4 but iirc there's some 120a that are 6S happy.

Toro have been making a niche for themselves, some good reports for there 1/5 scale things I'm reading, though this 150a looks like a clone / rebadged something - I just can't place it atm.

Anyone tried this ESC?

Looks like a good deal on ebay.

I am looking for a decent 1/8 ESC and motor for a buggy. Don't wanna go and spend a lot but I don't want a cheap and unreliable system.

Any suggestions?

A friend is currently using one on his 8th scale bits and bats - seems to be running quite well on 4s and 6s in his ST and Emaxx.

that flux esc is a good deal if you can get him down to 55/60 ish quid.

it was repaired professionally by a guy that does a fair few escs and knows what hes doing not a cheap job I must say

im running the flux blur combo on 6s and handles easily :)

Or you could a Hobbyking 150a esc, I know they are fairly chunky in size but it took me 3 years to kill one. Ran it from 2s-3s in my slash 2wd, 3-6s in my inferno, 4-6 in my xt2e ranging from 2650kv up to 6000kv in the slash, never got hot, just served its purpose. Runs sensored too, says no bigger than 2 pole sensored but that's a myth, it works.

ok guys. loads of different suggestions.

that flux esc is a good deal if you can get him down to 55/60 ish quid.

it was repaired professionally by a guy that does a fair few escs and knows what hes doing not a cheap job I must say

im running the flux blur combo on 6s and handles easily :)

I did wonder if it was proffesionaly repaired, thanks for putting that straight.

Or you could a Hobbyking 150a esc, I know they are fairly chunky in size but it took me 3 years to kill one. Ran it from 2s-3s in my slash 2wd, 3-6s in my inferno, 4-6 in my xt2e ranging from 2650kv up to 6000kv in the slash, never got hot, just served its purpose. Runs sensored too, says no bigger than 2 pole sensored but that's a myth, it works.

Edited by jahk20

so I gota 6 pole 1850kv tenshock in my hyper. .Will it b better in the savvy??

Yes, I'd swap motors. The lower Kv can would be put to better use in the bigger, heavier Savvy. The 2000kv would be better in the buggy.

Yes, I'd swap motors. The lower Kv can would be put to better use in the bigger, heavier Savvy. The 2000kv would be better in the buggy.

ah crap...time to take it apart again..lol...not tonight though...so what pinny would I wanna use in the savvy then??I got stock spur Edited by evssv