• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I THINK I'VE BOUGHT A FAKE!

dubnut1

I recently bought what I was lead to believe was a team Orion brushless motor & speed controller combo from a local RC model shop.

I got it home and fitted it straight away.  After timing everything up as it should be, I then ran the motor for about 3 minutes - after which the motor and the ESC were way over temperature.  Thinking this could be a gearing issue, I proceeded to change the pinion gear from 13-tooth to 11-tooth but still no joy - it was burning hot!  I switched the car off and disconnected the battery.  I then checked the meshing of the gears and found that it was running completely freely and as it should.  

Upon removing the motor and ESC, I found that both looked very dubious and bared no resemblance to any Orion product I have seen before. Stickers/decals looked as if they had been cut out with scissors and there was no information on the motor such as model number/serial number, number of turns etc.  The ESC was a strange, flat type normally used in RC Aviation, not cars and it has no amp details at all on it.  Neither the motor or the ESC came in genuine Orion packaging - the model shop had re-bagged them in their own branded packaging.

I have google searched for both the motor and the ESC but cannot find anything that resembles either of them.  

Can anyone offer any advice/thoughts?  Any help would be appreciated!

PHOTO'S BELOW:

20150308_172439_zpsgv8slost.jpg

20150308_172239_zpswzz1wo33.jpg

20150308_172217_zpsc5oy84fj.jpg

20150308_172204_zpsz9vvhd24.jpg

20150308_172508_zpsphrgzoyf.jpg

20150308_172439_zpsgv8slost.jpg

I'd be taking that back to the shop and asking a few questions.

Dumping of old stock in replacement packaging is very naughty indeed. Doubly so when it's not fit for purpose.

One question ... have you shortened the motor wires? Not all motor wires can be shortened, and the bare wires around the soldering could easily short

Hi Capri,

Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean - Manor?

The shop I got it from was called Al's hobbies, in Wolverton, Milton Keynes.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about it being for planes!

My bad - your sig cars and issues are extremely similar to a guy I bumped into at Manor RC today - he had 2 Mavericks for his kids and smoked a new esc in 3 mins.

I'm not saying that is a plane esc, if it's 10yr old NOS then back then I was still running Nitro and BL was an expensive diversion  for others as far as  I was concerned.  It certainly looks like one though.  I've found Team Orion very slow in responding to inquiries but it may be worth contacting them to find it if it is one of there's...

The soldering job on those bullets is terrible, i'm assuiming by the esc you plugged them directly into it?  They could well have shorted.  I would indeed be returning it the lhs.

Looking around, as i've nowt else to fill my time tonight atm, there have been some micro esc's that aren't dissimilar, though I can't find one similar to this.  So far the closest match, going back to 2001 is this:

208610-2.jpg?1360069720

I cant get a better photo but you'll note the black heatsink but the receiver wires are the usual white black red, (like Orion seem to use) not the black brown orange like the op's.  It's not this, as this one doesn't have the dip switches to program but it's the closest yet.  Orion avionics esc's look similar, though have a blue heatsink, black red white receiver wires and hard soldered motor leads - on the ones I've found anyway.

I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

Found it, it's not a fake.  Looks like it was produced / cloned off a schulze future esc:

ai1916946-148-thumb-future.jpg?d=1153306

It doesn't seem to have a lvc for lipo , though a 2S lipo shouldn't have overvolted it.  It looks to date to around 2003 and part number seems to be ORN63000 or ORI63000 or 630001 for a pro version.   The shoddy labeling probably suggests they just bought and repacked the schulze,  

If it is the schulze it's not very powerful relative to modern stuff, and the lack of fan or even decent heatsink suggests it needed to be placed in a large amount of airflow.  That it's a dual purpose air/land only further supports this.  It seemed to have a rrp of

• Like 1

Same seller as last time, visited his site on 15/01.

Doesn't actually list that combo on the site...dubious, IMO.

Very poor show indeed, to the vat with him and his shoddy back stock selling!!!

Edited by Noj
  • Like 2

BIG BIG THANKS GUYS!!! you have all been very helpful!!  :thumbsup:  i took it all back today and got a full refund! in all fairness i should have looked at the condition of the motor before i took it realy instead of getting so exited about going brushless like a 5 year old,  :blush: but the fellas in the shop did agree that how it looked out of the packaging was not so good, they told me that it was old stock that they bought out a few years ago & that this particular motor was obviosly faulty from the get go. im glad it all went smoothly as all other transactions ive had with this store have been faultless and they are a great bunch of lads! thanks for all the input you guys on the forum put in as it helped ALOT!  :topbanana: