• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Still having loss of power & cut out!

Hi guys

So Hpi trophy truggy ,

Thought battery's were causing the problem but both balancing at 4.20 a cell , take car out works fine for 2 mins then loses power goes roughly half speed.

Then random total non response last couple of seconds, take battery's out there still balancing at 4.04ish per cell.

Leave it for minute then power comes back and loses 20 seconds again!

What do we think?!

I'm stuck!

Hi toxic

Nope all original !

Really not sure what it is , sounds like something simple but , maybe overheating esc? Faulty ?

Interested in the power cap do have a link?

I run these in my savvy flux and mt4g3 as they both have savoxs...Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=391052637549&alt=web Edited by evssv

If it's all original and under warranty get on to hpi uk there really good and will sort you out.

I don't think it's overheating if your only getting 2 mins use before cut out. Check all connections etc on batts and car. Have you changed the gearing ?

Forgot to add, what spec are the lipos your using ? Low c rated lipos might not be able to deliver the juice your esc and motor needs.

Edited by Toxic Basher

If it's all original and under warranty get on to hpi uk there really good and will sort you out.

I don't think it's overheating if your only getting 2 mins use before cut out. Check all connections etc on batts and car. Have you changed the gearing ?

Forgot to add, what spec are the lipos your using ? Low c rated lipos might not be able to deliver the juice your esc and motor needs.

Hi toxic

Battery's are Hpi plazma 5300 7.4 30c ?

I bought it second hand , now wishing I bought a brand new one!

But it's had minimal use and superb condition .

Maybe I should check the gearing , will have a look at that, I'm guessing your saying that the gearing if changed is putting strain on the esc ?

New to electric !!

Write a list of everything for us; gearing, ESC including settings if you have a pit-card, motor kv, all the info you can.

Does it roll easily if pushed by hand?

Write a list of everything for us; gearing, ESC including settings if you have a pit-card, motor kv, all the info you can.

Does it roll easily if pushed by hand?

Hi tug

Small pinion is 15t, spur is 50t

Motor & esc , standard , 1965 motor , 80amp esc

Not sure what pit card is !

But set to -

Drag brake force 0%

Lipo cut off 3.2v

Start mode punch - L5

Max brake force 25%

Neutral range 9%

Motor timing 15.00

If I push fairly hard it runs smooth enough but when pushed very slow it's quite notchy if that's normal?

Edited by brushlesswesty

It sounds to me that for whatever reason your LVC is kicking in too early, if it kicks in it brings the car down in speed then will completely stop apart from the steering. If you leave it a few seconds it will then go again for a wee while and then stop again.

Does the steering still work when it slows down then stops?

You should check the settings on the ESC to see what the LVC is set to, it could be set really high.

OK, so the notchyness will be the magnets of the motor, that sounds normal. Best thing you can do is remove the pinion, then roll it, if it rolls freely, all is good.

LVC is set OK, but this could be a faulty, overactive LVC, this will cause it to cut in early.

If they're not your cells, you won't know how they've been treated. They might be past their best? Know anyone with a good set you could borrow to try in your car?

The thermal protection could be faulty, this would cause it to cut in early, much like a faulty LVC. Not much you can do with this or a faulty LVC.

You might need to spring for a new ESC if yours is at fault. An SC8 might suffice if you're happy on 4S. Otherwise, you might want to consider a Hobbywing Xerun 150 Amp ESC, damn fine kit.

Hope you find it's an easy fix.

You can try lowering the LVC, I've a couple of ESC LVCs set to 3.0 volts per cell to achieve a perfect 3.4 volt cut-off, I've also got one that's set to 2.8 volts per cell.

You must be careful when doing this, you don't want to deep-discharge your cells.

You can try lowering the LVC, I've a couple of ESC LVCs set to 3.0 volts per cell to achieve a perfect 3.4 volt cut-off, I've also got one that's set to 2.8 volts per cell.

You must be careful when doing this, you don't want to deep-discharge your cells.

One thing i have noticed about HPI ESC's is that their LVC is very accurate, always kicks in when its meant to.

One thing i have noticed about HPI ESC's is that their LVC is very accurate, always kicks in when its meant to.

Yeah, my Blitz cuts perfectly. Aren't they re-badged HW?

Nice one tug thanks for all the help !

Will lower the lvc see if that makes a difference sounds like a start to see if it eliminates it!

If not I might just go for that new esc ! Will that make any difference to power with stock motor?

It sounds to me that for whatever reason your LVC is kicking in too early, if it kicks in it brings the car down in speed then will completely stop apart from the steering. If you leave it a few seconds it will then go again for a wee while and then stop again.

You should check the settings on the ESC to see what the LVC is set to, it could be set really high.

Cheers Pete

Will

Look at this, I gues I could lower it just to see if it gets more run time at normal speeds

Yes Pete steering always works

Cheers Pete

Will

Look at this, I gues I could lower it just to see if it gets more run time at normal speeds

Yes Pete steering always works

Sounds like its defo something with the LVC. Make sure its set to 3.4v, if it is already try and lower it like Tug suggests and if that fails it will have to be a new ESC im afraid.......

Hobbywing 150amp is what you want  :thumbsup:  

Edited by RCpete

Sounds like its defo something with the LVC. Make sure its set to 3.4v, if it is already try and lower it like Tug suggests and if that fails it will have to be a new ESC im afraid.......

Hobbywing 150amp is what you want :thumbsup:

Nice one buddy

Will that hobbywing make any difference to power or anything?

Cheers

Sounds like a battery issue to me if you balance to 4.20p/c then run for 2 mins and it's at 4.05? I had a dodgy cell in one of mine and it did something similar