• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

which soldering iron and solder

raff113

i use weller soldering irons and solder  and i have to say they are the best i have ever used 

40w soldering iron http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1085095/Weller_SP40N_Soldering_Iron_with_LED_Light_40_Watt_240v/product_info.html?utm_source=googleversafeed&vfsku=1085   

for a bit more you can get a 80w soldering iron but that's overkill for deans http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weller-SP80N-80-Watt-Soldering-Iron-3-LED-Lights-Temp-482-C-c-w-Stand-10mm-Tip-/271706458165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3      

weller solder the best i have ever used and always makes good solid solder joints http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELLER-EL60-40-100-ELECTRONIC-SOLDER-RESIN-CORE-100-Grams-0054004599-/350637904313?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_

• Like 1

I'm certain that your need and curiosity are genuine.

This same question is raised perhaps once every month.

There are loads of opinions, options and answers if you SEARCH the previous threads.

Al.

I'm certain that your need and curiosity are genuine.

This same question is raised perhaps once every month.

There are loads of opinions, options and answers if you SEARCH the previous threads.

Al.

You do realise the search functions very very rarely actually yield the results you want?

That goes for any forum I've ever been a part of, not just this one.

• Like 2

You do realise the search functions very very rarely actually yield the results you want?

That goes for any forum I've ever been a part of, not just this one.

Didn't mean to be harsh ...

30W for lighter stuff.

80W for high power bullets.

I'm no expert, have just needed to solder. 60W for me just wasn't enough for some jobs.

Al.

thanks guys ordered 40 w soldering iron and some solder with flux in , as for comments about search function which i do use  :sly: i was in work and didn't have time to sit and read every post with the words soldering irons and solder plus things change and fresh info is always good  :tease:

• Like 1

I'm a great believer in the right tool for the right job. I have a digital soldering iron for IC work, very small bits etc. A Weller W100 series with magnastat temp controlled, brilliant for large jobs as it will keep pumping heat but won't overtemp and damage the bit. The Weller is as old as me, belonged to my dad. Solder, I've always used RS components multicore leaded solder, has the flux built in and flows brilliantly. 

I'll throw in one suggestion if you're not using the iron much and want to get some use from it. Take a look at a Dremel VersaTip, it's a gas torch that come with various bits. I recently bought one and found it very useful, it has a good range of control. Easily powerful enough for largest gauge wire and EC5 connectors and you can swap the tip and use it as a warm air blower for heatshrink, or swap the tip for a plastic cutter and make nice clean cuts on cable wrap. Works well.

Edited by fornowagain

right while waiting for the postman to deliver my items i decided id cut old connector off battery and strip it ready, so cut the black wire then the red and it sprung back and hit the black and then sparks  :shockingscary: only for a second but enough to make me jump , just hope the battery aint damaged . 

What type of battery is it?

NiMH, LiFe, LiPo?

Done it myself, once, with a NiMH - no problem.

Did a few years ago with a LiPo - very, very short time - and nearly fused the contacts together!! Still, no problem.

Main thing, one at a time, and insulate / tape them whilst waiting - sure you have now anyway!

Al.