• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

axial yeti xl review good and bad

lizzy 4400

well starting to wish i had never seen this thing now, watch out for the drive cup below the spur gear cover eating it's way through the case and catching on the spur and breaking the teeth off which in turn wrecks the motor pinion, quite why this has happend  is beyond me, i was just  running up and down the street to check out the new servo and steering mods , parts not cheap twenty eight quid plus p&p " this thing will have to go " as there does not seem to be the option to fit a smaller spur gear as one is not listed, i can see this happening again . has anybody else encountered this problem ? I would not recommend any body not to even contemplate buying this product from axial with all these problems plus the fact the diffs need to be shimmed before you can run 6s and other reports of diff gears failing and at

Edited by lizzy 4400

i take it the drive cup screw/pin came loose then.  or the bearing has failed so the cup is digging in   can you take a picture of the issue

Edited by turok007

found a gpm  64t steel  spur gear and alloy adapter  at aisia tees  online site and its cheaper than the stock 68t, plus ordered an alloy front clip and top brace and a 14&15 t motor pinion ,a couple of bits for my losi 5T and got a free shirt and free p&p from the states / arrived in 6 days how goods that and no import tax

Edited by lizzy 4400

Saw a similar case on another forum. Check the backwards/forwards play, the end float on the drive shaft. One report of 4mm play. Allowed the rear cup, the one with the plastic housing to touch the gearbox and melt and the front cup wearing into the spur gear cover plate. 

Checked my part assembled gearbox kit and it needed shimming to get a minimal the end float.

Saw a similar case on another forum. Check the backwards/forwards play, the end float on the drive shaft. One report of 4mm play. Allowed the rear cup, the one with the plastic housing to touch the gearbox and melt and the front cup wearing into the spur gear cover plate. 

Checked my part assembled gearbox kit and it needed shimming to get a minimal the end float.

so would you say this is going to be a big issue or can it be fixed just by shimming.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...so glad I didn't buy one of these!!!

it's a easy fix to do.  im just happy the XL isn't a money pit like the 1/10th yeti.  but be very careful when looking at some issues with the 1/8th XL  as the RTR is not the same as the kit version.

Edited by turok007