• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printing Discussion

-BEZ-

The normal skull is pretty cool on its own imo. Yeah I agree with you on the base and brass rod. A good excuse to cut something on the CNC which i have just finished building lol

This self manufacturing is a endless headache of settings and calibrations lol ...... But if it was boring it wouldn't b half as much fun haha

• Like 1

Nice, Be careful with the staining of things as i imagine it would seep into the layers and draw them ou to catch the eye ...... some kind of polishing first might be worth a shot.

I bet the skull would look awesome printed in bronzefill then polished :good:

Think I'll print out some small test object first. Then if that works try it on the small skull. Don't want to risk ruining the big skull. Nearly 18 hours printing time. :shockingscary:

Got a few shades of furniture touch up stain arriving today and want to try those out. Hopefully won't bring out the layers but if it does well the skull still looks great as is.

Bronze filament. Hmmmm or maybe copper. Then there's brass but don't think that would look right.

John

Tried some different stains and ended up with this result on the smaller skull. Not bad but does show up the print layers a bit. Not through individual layers taking stain differently but by highlighting the surface finish roughness. Think I'll keep the big skull as is.

John

T-Rex-Skull-Stained_zpsh5quxz34.jpg

looks good, It might have been worth sanding it lightly with some rubbing down compound for cars to help brake up the lines ..... what layer thickness did you print that at btw? Perhaps a thinner layer height might help.

It doesn't look bad though, I bet you can only notice when your up really close to it

0.1 layer and it isn't really noticeable except very close up and looks worse in the photo than it really is. Can't really do too much smoothing because of the surface detail although there are few places that could be done. Probably wouldn't be noticeable with a matt finish. Will let the stain dry properly overnight and try some clear matt.

John

• 2 weeks later...

anybody been using the esun filament from hobbyking?

It seems really proffessional when it comes all boxed up and labelled with colours and recommended temperatures etc, before i started using it i have always used no name ebay filaments which has been fine.

I am printing pla esun filament at 210c but the final model seems really brittle, much more so than the un named ebay filaments I have used at the same settings on the same model.

I suspect my temperature is at fault, maybe too high or too low causing bad layer adhesion, I'm not too sure.

• 2 months later...

I will place the link here to but explain the forum in detail it's been set up by a guy who is doing the build series magazine and is for the discussion of the 3d create and print magazine and 3d printer but has a section for 3d printing discussions that might appeal to those not building the magazine, I am the first and only member at the mo but it should get more members as time passes, I am asking those of you with experience in 3d printing to join and place info I.e guides to printing processes and materials that sort of thing just to get it going thanks Dan.

http://3dcreateandprint.prophpbb.com

Edited by NitricRC

maybe print a small skull first john. 

to help cut down on the stain pulling the layers out, shoot a clear coat or two over.

this will seal any small pores to the layerings and leave a nice pure flat surface for the stains.

bit like a clearcoat and rubdown, but your just skipping that rubdown part  for the finishing stains

i think this could be the trick to the stain seeping into layers and showing. worth trying out .

• 2 months later...

i bought a prusia i3 from a seller on aliexpress 225 euros fedex delivery .................. an incredible price for a tried and trusted printer http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Factory-High-Quality-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-kit-with-2-Rolls-Filament/32357171936.html?isOrigTitle=true&isOrig=true#extend

its been going allmost 24/7 and is really great

i bought a prusia i3 from a seller on aliexpress 225 euros fedex delivery .................. an incredible price for a tried and trusted printer http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Factory-High-Quality-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-kit-with-2-Rolls-Filament/32357171936.html?isOrigTitle=true&isOrig=true#extend

its been going allmost 24/7 and is really great

the one i linked will do most of the filaments and is 210x210x210 bed , believe me i did a whole lot of reading and youtube and looked at the prusa i3 models as they have a good following.

3d printers direct from china are very reasonably priced nowadays 

Shouldnt have any problems ;).

the only thing i had to do is calibrate and all that needed was to change the extrusion multiplier in slicer software from 1.0 to 1.05 ( yep thats all i did ).......... prints are perfect .

The seller is really quick in replying to questions and really helpfull too. Took 5 days to dispatch the printer and fedex took 3 days to deliver from china !!! and i had no customs charges so that was a bonus as i was sure i would get stung !!!

Take your time building the printer and dont over tighten the nuts and bolts or you will crack the acrylic, i used medium loctite on everything to be sure.

Shouldnt have any problems ;).

the only thing i had to do is calibrate and all that needed was to change the extrusion multiplier in slicer software from 1.0 to 1.05 ( yep thats all i did ).......... prints are perfect .

The seller is really quick in replying to questions and really helpfull too. Took 5 days to dispatch the printer and fedex took 3 days to deliver from china !!! and i had no customs charges so that was a bonus as i was sure i would get stung !!!

Take your time building the printer and dont over tighten the nuts and bolts or you will crack the acrylic, i used medium loctite on everything to be sure.

Can you PM me some pictures of what you have printed with it? 

can u check the link pls Baorevo.?  cheers :)

Hi i just checked the link and it works. http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Factory-High-Quality-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-kit-with-2-Rolls-Filament/32357171936.html?isOrigTitle=true&isOrig=true#extend

If the price goes back up send him a message and HE will reset it