• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

KM buggy to 5SC

Bigjimknickers

Heavier to the front...and has to be (with hpi anyway) proper anti-foaming shock oil (as used in motorbike shocks, iirc) so as to not destroy the seals.

The beast is a fat bird, especially when lipos are in, so opted for rather heavy oils...silly me ;) Our lasses B (also brushless) had the same oils, again, far too heavy as the B is considerably lighter (yet slower in a drag...).

Comes down to personal choice and what handling characteristics you like, perhaps how much air you grab too...a backside that bounces around everywhere is no good, well, IMO anyway.

12 - 20 hours TW....after two years, best check ours preseason methinks ;)

i was referring to stock set up as from the factory, the oils suck, as does the grease they use, all cheap crap.

once you rebuild them the first time they can last for ages assuming you do them right.

worth rebuilding more often when racing, just to keep the handling consistent through out a season.

All eight built up by me, using DS o'rings and green slime. Never checked any of them, never been a sign of leakage ergo all is well ;)

Having dented a rather nice and exclusive ally shell last year, a change is in order, although am returning to lexan this year....was given back my old super 5 shell for nowt, so may as well see it to it's natural end this year :)

• 1 month later...

Well today wasn't as impressive as last week for the KM5SC, first off my steering servo has half failed so that made things hard, then I noticed as I changed the T/B servo the other day its now got no brakes! I adjusted the slack up but not a great difference really, need to maybe clean up the disks & pads like AJ suggested. Will start a strip down now.

The SC lives again! I figured it was time to strip it down & replace the steering servo, but with the Dbxl busted, I'd better wait so I took off the gear cover & realised the clutch bell was loose, collapsed bearing.. Removed bearing replaced & removed brake pads & cleaned them up with sandpaper to lose the shine. All back together now apart from the air filter that's getting washed.

• Like 1

Looking bloody marvellous, James :)

Rear arches holding up OK thus far? Trying 10mm spacers on the rear upper arms, 12mm has not been kind, gives El Beasto a nice 'growl' though ;)

Looking bloody marvellous, James :)

Rear arches holding up OK thus far? Trying 10mm spacers on the rear upper arms, 12mm has not been kind, gives El Beasto a nice 'growl' though ;)

I used a plate (about 9") masking tape & a a marker pen, trimmed about 15 mm max from the top most edge & all seems great!

Got some big air today off that jump in the photo & all was well!

Popped an arm off after a dodgy landing & cracked the shell a little, bit that's all!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!

Noj, what can I do about really really poor steering? I remember reading you recommending some parts but I can't recall the post?

I have a 35 kg spektrum servo from the dbxl that I've bodged in for now, but I'm sure it's slop in the actual linkage.

Iv just ordered the hpi steering complete set up, from abbotts 19.99 should of been 52.99,

As for the km steering set up on my 002c is really sloppy, i can hold one wheel still and the other side moves about an inch, its not good, iv snapped it at the bottom were the servo saver fastens to, so i ordered the hpi one only because it was cheap i got it,but it was a big bonus it being hpi though :)

But what your explaining is the same as what iv got going on with mine, its Nawt to do with your servo i dont think, it sounds very familiar tbh matey

Was it the threshold servo saver spring support and darksoul servo saver?!

Noj, what can I do about really really poor steering? I remember reading you recommending some parts but I can't recall the post?

I have a 35 kg spektrum servo from the dbxl that I've bodged in for now, but I'm sure it's slop in the actual linkage.

Sorry for the late reply Jim:

So, the Darksoul saver, threshold spring support, stock HPI steering posts and plastic linkage and the DDM ally holders for the steering posts

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/ddm-aluminum-bell-crank-post-braces-for-hpi-baja-5b-5t-5sc.html

Works together very effectively :)

Hth

So that's 4 different items, yes?

Not to shun your good advice, but what's the opinion on the TR complete servo linkage?

Yes, although no idea if the hpi stock plastics are better than the KM.

My reason for not running all ally is leaving some flex in there, as history shows large scale servos and me don't always get on...lol

I ran the hpi stock set up for a while, I snapped a bit and brought the dark soul and threshold bits and a couple of bashes later another bit snapped on it. so i upgraded to the tr set up.

ive been running a tr steering set up for a few months now, I like it alot. alot better lock.

Alot of people have issues with the springs snapping but I read somewhere they have changed there spring material on the new ones.

• Like 1

Well, I went for the hpi stock setup from abbots, as Flatout! Kindly found, it's 19.99 at the moment so as the budget is small at the moment, that'll do for now, what I do need is a full sized servo bracket as the KM one is a weird size, I've chopped I'd down for bashfest just to get up and running but now it's time for either the Alloy fullforce rc one or the stock hpi one?

Any advantage to having alloy there?

Id like to put the full alloy surround that the servo is held by and then the alloy adapter with it, it would make a nice solid fix for the servo, aspecally if its a high toque servo, coz mine as stock twist so i think it'll get rid of that at least ;)