• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

buggy up in smoke

icebeaver

Hi,

I bought my boy a dhk wolf brushed for Christmas

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/182816/?gclid=CNuSu4PIicMCFWjItAodRD0ArA

The thing went up in smoke so I presume it's the esc or motor, the esc does look a bit burnt lol.

Anyway I'm going to get a brushless motor and esc combo as I hear they are more durable.

Could anybody give me a few tips on what I need to be looking for or even reccomend a combo, if so my budget is around

Edited by icebeaver

click on link and it said this Throughout the fully ball-raced drive train, there are steel drive shafts and gears with a single plastic gear taking power off the drive pinion, exactly like the 1/8th versions. The toughness of the design is evident just about everywhere and that comes from extensive testing in the most rigorous of conditions.

click on link and it said this Throughout the fully ball-raced drive train, there are steel drive shafts and gears with a single plastic gear taking power off the drive pinion, exactly like the 1/8th versions. The toughness of the design is evident just about everywhere and that comes from extensive testing in the most rigorous of conditions.

Dhk sell a bl version, so they 'think' it will take it: 35a ESC with a 3650 sized, 3970kv can on 2s.

Were it me, I'd strip the entire buggy down, check all bearings, ensure diffs are correctly filled and that the drive train is all smooth running, then drop a bl set up in :)

I'd take a 60a ESC all day long over a 35a one ;)

The one you linked is a bit pants: ezrun and leopard do those finned cans, they are 540 size,but have a 380 rotor inside. This means they run hot and are better suited to lighter, 2wd cars...saying that, I run one in a df02 but that's another story...

EBay item:231288013223

That's what I might fit, or, similar but cheaper:http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__41130__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_4000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html , with the correct program card of course ;)

I'm not a buggy expert, by any means, so my kV recommendations may be off...it was more to point you in alternate directions :)

Hobbyking offer different kV combos, some of which are OOS at the moment :( Just be sure to select the UK warehouse when searching (default is global, so a longer delivery time from China)

• Like 1

Thanks for that noj

That looks pretty decent and it's waterproof which is a bonus.

It's around the same kv as the brushless wolf too.

I think I will order this, cant go to wrong at that price.

How are you supposed to know what connector its got the batteries as it doesn't say, all my bateries are 7.2 tamiya.

thy don't come with a connector you need to fit your own ... but do yourself a favor and get rid of the Tamiya connectors as thy melt under load. hobby king uk combos here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__468__192__Electric_Motors-Car_Motor_ESC_Combo.html

Edited by jea
  • Like 1

ec3 deans or an XT60 will be fine. 

it depends what your battery have fitted. if they are a white long looking block 

with a funny like trigger clip ontop, its a standard tamiya connector.

if you have someone local with a good iron and solder. grab yourself a beer and one for buddy

your handfull of batterys and esc plus your handful of new conectors and have them soldered on. 

you can also solder up adaptors to go from say tamiya to deans/ec3/xt60

Does anyone think that the vp 5000mah 7.2v caused my esc to burn out as it happened within 5 mins of first use of the battery, no problems before with my 1800mah 7.2v voltz battery.

Just wanted I check the battery is not dodgy and fry the new esc combo or by using 5000mah is too much.

Thanks

For a brushless combo, I'd also look at the 3800Kv Quicrun with 60A ESC combo. Pretty much a match for the stock brushless, and decent quality.

http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-QUICRUN-3656SL-3800KV-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-Combo-ME135.html

As far as the battery goes, no...... if it's correctly wired up and the connectors are in good order, there is no reason a battery would kill an ESC. The battery supplies what the ESC requires. Motors can kill ESCs when they fail, as the current draw spikes and the ESC kills itself trying to keep up. If you have a multi-meter...you can check the battery voltage.

Mah is an indication of current supplied over time. 5000Mah means 5amps can be supplied for an hour, or 1 amp for 5 hours. It has no relevance to your problem as such. The only reason your battery would be an issue is if it was actually faulty....not just bigger.

The manual's in my budget buggies all state NOT to use a battery over a certain mah, but no explanation why.  As Nitrohoilc pointed out there's no reason not to, I think part of it might be though that more mah = longer run times = hotter electrics - doesn't fill you with confidence does it.

Sorry to jump on someone else's thread but the turnigy combo mentioned is an 80amp esc with a max 2s lipo. Im also new to the game but i have a reaktor combo with a 35amp esc and that will take an 3s! Can anyone explain as i am also looking for a cheap bl combo for my daughters vantage.

DHK are owned by Ripmax, they are way undergeared from the factory so everything is working overtime at full power. I had a Ripmax Husky that got that hot, the insulation melted and the power wires garrotted my fingers. DHK also run XTM running gear so its pretty tough. Stock leccy bits are terrible in the DHK/Ripmax items so worth upgrading.