• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brake 'Shrinkage' ....

atom3624

I live in a semi-detached with smallish front garden / drive - enough to park in front of the garage and open / close the gates without problem.

When I go out, until the 'final return' of the day, the gates remain open.

Dropped off the elder son - 8 years-old - then returned and parked it straight to the road, up the drive, just in front of the garage (normally I angle it to the wall at near full lock so if there's any 'rolling' the tyre will touch) as I wanted to do a little cleaning of the plastic trim.

Popped in for a cuppa and a few other things, then 10 minutes later I looked out of the window and the car's through the gateway and just into the road!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from this I habitually park in gear, as well as handbrake, but hate HEAVING on the brake, to avoid fatiguing the cable ...

Obviously had forgotten the 'in gear' bit this time.

I WAS VERY LUCKY - NOTHING TOUCHED!!

This was a scary moment. I'm told elsewhere that on cooling there can be disproportionate shrinking which means braking is less effective than when enabled.

Anyone have a similar incident?

Al.

Yes me lol.

Park my van outside the house, Now before i go to bed i alway look out the window just to check. Looked out van gone.

First thought was its been nicked. Ran downstairs and out front door. Van was 4 houses away resting against a tree lol. 

Luckily no damage to van or anyone else.

Do you know that the handbrake is actually adjusted correctly? Nothing I have ever experienced in any of my cars, thankfully. Good to hear that no injury/damage was caused, well, the inside of your undies aside maybe ;)

Me in Florida hahaha

Forgot that when driving an Automatic to stick the shift into either park or N got out and foot off brake and the car started moving on its own lol

Make sure it's adjusted up correctly, and a brake cable is cheaper than having a big insurance claim to be honest fella.

Or a house brick under one wheel if you don't want to give it a little more on the handbrake....

Handbrake's defo spot on.

Normal driving, '3 clicks' just comfortably holds it at the lights, 4 or 5 on a reasonable incline, 6 is TIGHT.

I've always been brought up to at least consider mechanical sympathy, with the 'what goes around comes around' thinking, so do not HEAVE the brake on, at night.

I'll normally have it on 4 or 5.

I've nearly always parked in gear previously - obviously didn't this time, and it's literally 3-4 cm each side over the mirrors through the posts - which was another potentially expensive scary moment - MISSED BOTH POSTS!!

It was bought new in September 2007, 57 reg 2.2 diesel Civic (trust me, they're flyers, particularly if ..... !!) and has just gone through 27k miles, as I travel quite a lot, and work locally when 'home'.

Front pads were replaced 2 years ago, 2/3 worn, and rears last year, so brakes are fine.

CIVINFO guys have encountered this before, and with different cars - only those with drum handbrakes don't have this sort of problem ....

Definitely a 'brown stain moment' !!

Al.

You'd probably have to open the sunroof, stand with feet either side of the centre tunnel and haul on the handbrake with both hands to do any noticeable damage to any part of the handbrake mechanism.

Pulling to 6 clicks isn't going to do anything noticeable.

FWIW some of the original electronic handbrakes were simply a servo and sensors mated to an existing cable system. And they pull the equivalent hand load of about 500N.

Which is effectively you lifting 50 kilos straight up.

They only fail when the electrics pack in.

Edited by mattr

My disco holds on 2 clicks but away from all that, is it calipers on the rear then I take it?

If it is, have a look at the discs to make sure all the surface is shiny on both back and front, I understand they were looked at last year too.

But as a mechanic I always went by the 4-7 clicks depending on car and you should be able to stall the car with the handbrake on (fwd cars) so see if this is the case, if not I suggest a brake service by someone you trust and qualified :thumbsup:

It was a bit of a weird one!

It is possible I hadn't put more than a few clicks on.

Honda Warrington were not impressive last year, but there's a change of management, so I hope the previous service by Lookers has been resumed - I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I've parked straight on before.

I do remember that it has been 'straining against the transmission' once or twice in the past when I've just clicked enough, probably 3, and left it in gear.

It seems to be a genuine 'normal thing' which they may not want to own up to ....

Al.

Too tight to use a handbrake in case it wears out??????

Good god man, pull it up nice and tight, the number of clicks is irrelavant.

are you aware that most modern handbrakes self adjust to accomodate stretch?

I find it unbelievable your car is rolling around the road potentially causing an accident, because you fancy yourself as an amateur mechanic.

I've seen the opposite many times in the paddock. People come in with red hot brakes at the end of a session on track and apply the handbrake. Can be interesting. I was chatting to a fellow competitor after a close tussle out on track, I'd jumped out of my car, lid off and was leaning into his car. I'm thinking, your brakes smell a bit warm and just as I say that, NSF burst into flames. He'd sat there with his foot on hot brakes. Bloody turnip!

Too tight to use a handbrake in case it wears out??????

Good god man, pull it up nice and tight, the number of clicks is irrelavant.

are you aware that most modern handbrakes self adjust to accomodate stretch?

I find it unbelievable your car is rolling around the road potentially causing an accident, because you fancy yourself as an amateur mechanic.

A bit harsh!! It had edged to the side of the road and wasn't going anywhere, but the movement is enough to require change - I AGREE.

Point made and taken - fair enough.

Any uncontrolled entry into a road is extremely dangerous, I agree.

The point I was making is its the first time anything like that had ever happened to me before.

I've had quite a few cars before and have never noticed a change in braking efficiency through cooling effects.

It is one of a few all disc cars I've owned, and have never noticed this before.

I've actually laughed at a similar incident with a friend visiting another, parked alongside the visited house, with a slope down to the River Mersey. He'd left it on one side of the entrance drive, found it on the other .... he may have pulled on the handbrake and had a similar occurrence - we accused him differently.

Al.

Seen it quite a few times particularly on the Civic. There is a lot of expansion on the rear brakes when driving. Be a little to short with the parking brake and they do contract enough to allow the car to move. Its gonna sound silly but there isn't anything wrong with them that you could repair.... its a design  " Defect " or as Honda would call it a "characteristic". Give it a few more clicks on the lever and all will be well.

• Like 1

That's precisely the impression I got.

As I mentioned earlier, I like to 'get things right' - not SLAM doors (nor not enough) and similarly to pull (just more than) enough on the handbrake to hold properly - never had this before.

I also (nearly) always park in gear as a back-up. This was an unfortunate combination of all factors.

I have noticed on one other occasion it was tight on the gearbox - indicating the same problem - a few months ago.

I have got into a habit, not even considering this 'characteristic' of angling at full lock into the partition drive wall, just 2-3cm away (tyre to touch first).

It was straight, as I planned on doing a little 'detailing'.

Weird and scary.

On the move, 2 clicks can 'just hold', but 3 is OK on the horizontal, 4 on a slope, 5 if steeper.

I've parked with variable clicks in the past, 5 is default now, and in gear, and angled, on a slope.

Characteristic indeed - that should have been corrected by Honda.

Discussing same on CIVINFO this is the impression I got - and not unique to the Civic either - Fiats and Beemers have done it.

Think I'll call the 'under new ownership' regular dealership to hear what they say - could be interesting!!

Al.

TBH there aren't many cars that won't do it if you don't pull the handbrake on properly.

If you put enough end load on the cable, the normal stretch (that you seem to think will damage the cable/system) will take up the change in thickness as the disks cool.

Yeah, it was just plain scary to see, and understand I WAS VERY LUCKY!

Just that ONE TIME I both didn't put it in gear - I nearly always do - and I only yanked a few clicks. Normally it would be at least one more. NOW, it's 2 more (5).

The 'quality manufacturers' (Jaguar at least in the past, and I'm told the IS200 Lexus) have separate drums for the handbrake, which 'holds' better.

Al.

Spoke to Holdcroft, Warrington.

Didn't go into detail.

Said to bring it in, and they'd perform a free 'safety inspection' to ensure all is operating correctly and to re-tension the handbrake to specifications, if seen necessary.

This will happen in a couple of weeks as they're booked up for Saturday visits.

With an 'extra click' I've not noticed any problem.

It must have been that 'perfect storm' scenario - I'd forgotten to put into gear (my habit to put IN gear 'though shouldn't be necessary) AND I can't have put more than 3 clicks on.

Let's see .........

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Free brake control courtesy of Honda.

Front pads - replaced 2.5 years ago - 50% worn.

Rear pads - replaced 1.5 years ago - 25% worn.

Verdict: Tension slightly adjusted but no fault - 100% perfect operationally.

Verdict ATOM: Pull harder and always keep in gear - not 99% of time.

Lucky escape.

Al.