• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Boiling tyres?

ZombieBite

I've a new set of rear tyres to put onto my Firestorm and I have come across quite a few tutorials that recommend boiling the wheel to make removing the old tyre easier.

Has anyone here tried this? The lengths of time to boil for seem to vary dramatically depending on what tutorial I read! So I'm not sure what the best approach is.

Or if this isn't such a good idea, are there any other methods people recommend?

I prefer the acetone method.

Put it in, come back to it eventually, peel the tyre off.

Doesn't stink either.

Can you elaborate on this method please, do you totally immerse them and what sort of container do you use?  I thought acetone had quite a strong smell.

Oven works great - stinks the house out.

Boiling works great - much less smell.

MUST do acetone OUTSIDE - stinks the house out AND is flammable.

My experience was with the removal of MCD 1/5 Monster Truck tyres.

I baked and boiled - removing from time-to-time to remove from the rim - found if I didn't it would 're-glue' to the rim.

I cleaned up after removal by soaking in acetone - outdoors under the lid of the b-b-cue (it was Winter).

Al.

5mm in the bottom of a sealed tub, leave tyres in there for a minimum of 24 hours.

The vapour breaks the glue down and you just peel the tyre off.

If you want to, cut the rest of the tyre off before you soak, just leave the bead.

Longest if left some was long enough for the acetone to completely dry out. 6 or 8 weeks.

Yes the acetone does smell, but it clears in seconds. Burning/hot rubber and plastic can take days to fade.

Edited by mattr
  • Like 1