• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markswebpages's Traxxas Summit

Markswebpages

Cool I'll take a look at it some when over Christmas.

I want to get a new shell just so I can have it in something other than stock colour and graphics.

I let my seven year old nephew lose with it yesterday and I had a job to peel him away from it LOL.

Edited by Markswebpages

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of days off so I thought now was as good time as any to disassemble and inspect the Traxxas.

5a4ddbebc02ecddfe75c9f28eb575845.jpg

First impression is not good, I guess the lesson learned (thanks to those who also pointed it out) is not to run it through water again.

5ea0d6f41c3f1e936a15a7130a29d495.jpg

30c65c3ef1c7bf3e7cdd6849f2e5eeb7.jpg

Let's hope the damage isn't to extensive otherwise it's going to be out of action for a while because Christmas has left funds low.

So far it looks at lot worse than it is, it stank when I took it apart though.

The bearings seem smooth after a clean, but ultimately I will replace them. The diff locking mechanism seems to have surface corrosion which the grease has just spread around.

More worried about trying to sort the wheels because the foam insert in them is soaked and they weigh a lot. Again the hub bearings don't seem too bad but I'll change them when I go back to original plastic ones (just need a pillow ball seal kit as well).

Rest assured this thing is never going near deep water again or at least not until it's better prepared with sealed wheels and no foam inserts.

Edited by Markswebpages

73760f16d12b88ec1974a312dafe45e8.jpg

Wet foams [emoji15]

Glad I did this now, very little grease in the box and all of it rusty. Doesn't look to bad though and seems to reflect the fact that most of the abuse was done by me giving it a soaking [emoji9]

bb0d0a5f2f0e3edc30794e19bd6f1347.jpg

ff00ff4916e3c82c2506a50beaaaab2f.jpg

Let's hope I can remember how this all goes back together. At least next time I'll know how it goes!

Edited by Markswebpages

Don't worry about hub bearings, when they finally fail all you get is a wobbly wheel and nothing else. When a diff bearing fails, the gears (pinion and crown) fall out of alignment and it's crunch time.

As the gearbox is open, fit new bearings, good quality ones. This shouldn't give any grief unless you re-submerge it.

Prick the tyres at the four points of the compass, then put her on her roof and spin her up in high gear, STAND WELL BACK!

• Like 1

Yeah unfortunately I'll have to put it back together as is for now, but I'll check all the bearings thoroughly first.

Looking at this alot of this seems to stem from certain metal components rusting and contaminating everything. Maybe some research is also required so next time I rebuild I can stop this happening.

I know something it'll be coming apart regularly to avoid any big disaster.

You learnt the same way as me, had fun driving round the woods through big muddy puddles etc but regretted it came maintenance time, i had to replace a few bearings.

I'm a fair weather basher with it now lol.

You learnt the same way as me, had fun driving round the woods through big muddy puddles etc but regretted it came maintenance time, i had to replace a few bearings.

I'm a fair weather basher with it now lol.

Yes I've ordered some new bearings, carefully removed the seal, thoroughly cleaned and repacked the others.

Very time consuming but strangely satisfying.

Hopefully it'll be back together tomorrow.