• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ascender thoughts

Bigyeti007

I drove mine pretty hard yesterday and had no problems.I got some extra shims off eBay, but with both shims on the drive side there was good enough tolerance. Will look into the shocks soon.

I bought 3 spare spools and pinions from RPP, also another from Modelsport.  The RPP order turned up first!  I carry one just in case of breakage, but so far all is good.

Medic just did an unboxing vid of one, will be interesting to see what his thoughts are (altho. he dies seem to get super excited about everything!).

• Like 1

Medic just did an unboxing vid of one, will be interesting to see what his thoughts are (altho. he dies seem to get super excited about everything!).

I would get super exited if i recieved free **** as well :)

Since I spent a bit of time shimming the pinions/spools, I haven't had a problem. This just out drives my SCX10 based truck. To be fair it has got larger diameter tyres (1.9 Ripsaws on the SCX).The steering is amazing, with the SCX I have to takes 3 or so shunts to get around the same corner.

I have heard that Vaterra are looking into the pinion problem, but it seems to be a relatively small number compared to the sales (in the USA anyway). MiP already make drive shafts for it, HD pinions would be nice, perhaps with an under/over drive option?

Shame axial didnt think of it. ( floating battery tray)

Which ever way you look at it the ascender crawls better, no matter how its desighned, it crawls better.

Its kinda like saying a skyline only accelerates faster than a rwd m5 because it has 4wd and host of electronic gizmos to make it do so, which ever way you look at it, the skyline is still faster.

Keeping cog low is that not a good thing ?? Isnt that why we add wheel weights ?? To lower the cog.

Edited by the watchman

Just a shame it can't be compared to a scx10, it's more crawler with a scale body......

Oh and definitely cog needs to be a low as possible, got to keep those axles planted.

But the m5 would be much more fun to drive.....

I decided to re-shim my pinion and spool, ended up nice and tight but still spins fine. 0.3 + 0.2 on drive side of spool, and 0.2 behind the pinion. Hopefully should be fine.

Took it out for a little trailing yesterday, I am still amazed how good it is as climbing and trailing.

Up to Medics 4th build vid and I do like the drive train design on this.  Centre transmission all steel gears and looks like a 4 gear setup (middle isn't an idler.. more reduction in centre allow smaller diff. ratio in axles).  Nice single screw spur cover, double flats on outputs.  Slipper looks a bit fiddly.  Solid locker / spur and pinion bolted directly to drive shaft is neat too.  Nice pin retention.  The lower ration diff. gives a smaller pumpkin too and I like solid axle housings instead of the split SCX10 ones.  The pinion eating worries me but sounds like it is fixable and I have always had to shim axial / scout ones once decent power was going through them.

Really hoping these take off and we get as many after market options as there are now for the Axials.  Also hoping that you can buy axles / transmission separately or that breakers start splitting them as I'd love to build a scaler on this drive train.

Edited by ghazghul
  • Like 1

Next upgrade on mine will be the 2 speed trans, but apparently you have to buy the parts separately. No problem though. I will buy from RPP as Modelsport took 2 weeks to get me a spool and pinion for spares. It is great to drive. I took my SCX based truck out last week and it felt like it was having a hard time going where the Ascender would go easily.  Once this gets more popular there are bound to be more after market options.

Yeah i'm sure companies will be bringing out hop ups for this soon as it seems to be fairly popular.

Just pulled the trigger on the new Boom racing 100mm internal spring shocks, they are droop so the ascender will sit lower, but hopefully great articulation and more scale look. The g-mades I have are quite fat, and I have to limit the steering for it to not rub, I love the g-made but the boom look good and I shall see. They ended up being about

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=99511

They come as full droop, but I am going to run them 50/50 I think, ordered spare springs from rcbitz, they are for the RC4WD scale shocks but I'm guessing will fit no problems.

Just seen another cool addition for the vaterra ascender.

Its made by jc auto design, this is for anybody wanting to run a normal lipo instead of a shorty one.

It moves the battery and electrics up to the front of the chassis and obviously does away with the floating battery tray, it wont effect the performance either, as a shorty battery weighs next to nothing, the new tray allows large normal size lipos to be fitted accross the front of the chassis and should if anything improve grip as there will be more weight from the battery over the front axle.

Slowly but surely more and more cool upgrades are being relased for this superb truck, ssd uk already have a host of alloy goodies in the pipeline.

the future is looking really good for the ascender ;)

Sounds really good, as I have a few lipo's for my blitz which I could use. Although the 2 shorty packs I have are good for a 3 hour run so not sure if it's needed.

Went back to stock shocks for the moment, whilst waiting for my Boom racing shocks to arrive. Definitely not going to run them full droop, 50/50 or even 70% sprung 30% droop. Will see when they arrive.

The G-Made diaphragm are great shocks, but too wide which reduces steering angle too much.