• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

help how to remove the pinion gear on 23cc cy engine?

Moncute

I used a nitro clutch fly wheel remover which was just the right size for the pinion on my fg.

Theres 2 grub screws on the shaft aswel have you taken both out, try cracking it with a hammer to loosen it. Or heat it up then crack it with a little slap from a hammer. Not heavy hitting tho.

If all fails see how much the cheapest flywheel puller is or see if you can make a jig with bolts and a plate to act the way a fly puller does.

see petrol flywheel puller for an idea of what i mean by that lol.

Or hopfully someone posts an easier way.

If it's stuck on that is lol.

Edited by RCbutcher

I know a lot of lads who've used shoelaces but I've never done it simply as I've always had a piston stopper and flywheel puller.

Here you go; http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/flywheel-puller-and-piston-stopper-859.html

Don't let the fact it's from KM put you off, I've been using those very same ones with success for a couple of years.

Getting the pinion off depends on what car you have.....It's not engine specific, rather it's car specific.

On my Baja, I lock the transmission with an old spur gear while I undo the nut/bolt holding the pinion.

The FG I had was trickier, as the pinion had a fair dollop of threadlock on it. Grub-screws out, heat applied. I ended up using brute force, as I was going to replace the bearings in the carrier anyway, so I took the carrier off and tapped out the clutch bell.

As far as a piston stopper goes, there are 2 ways to do this.

1) Use a piece of nylon rope. something that WILL NOT shed fibres. Remove the plug and drop the piston to the bottom of it's stroke. Feed a length of rope in to the plughole. Don't need a huge amount, as it's a small cylinder. Then gently rotate the flywheel to bring the piston up. It will jam against the rope and that will prevent it moving. Then you can get some torque on the flywheel nut.

2) Use a proper piston stopper screwed into the plug hole.

It is, obviously, much better to use a proper tool. There is a risk of damage to the motor using a bodge approach, which is far less with the proper tool. If you are only ever going to do this once, or are stripping a motor you are going to rebuild anyway....then you need to weigh up the cost. Maybe someone local can lend you one for the job? If you plan on running largescale cars for any length of time...it's a tool you will need again when the clutch needs attention as well, so for the cost....it's worth investing in one.

well, today for the first time since i bought my fg,

i have managed to take the pinion off,

and to my surprise i just put the soldering rod next to the rock solid grub screws for like good 30 seconds and they started to come off like butter fingers..

cheers...

i changed from stock 18/46 to 16/48,

and can't wait to see how she response.

• Like 1