• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maz's KM Baja 002A build thread (Petrol/largescale beginner) **Nearly finished!**

MAZ

Okay... So, bearing in mind that this is my first foray into largescale and petrol - I take it this really needs a good clean up? Lol

Anything I should be looking out for when I'm cleaning the clutch?

IMG_20141108_174736_zpsey5bew9g.jpg

Edited by MAZ

Getting the pinion free of the clutchbell is a right cow of a job - killed one of my hex drivers in the process :/

Got it free in the end though...

To be honest, my plan to get the engine out last night didn't happen as I got distracted by the clutchbell carrier lol

In particular trying to get the pinion off and then trying to get the bearing out (all of this because I noticed there seemed to be a bit of stiffness when rotating the pinion/clutch....

IMG_20141109_221951_zps8ilw5cmn.jpg

The damn thing just doesn't want to budge!

I might have a quick go at it again tonight :)

Edited by MAZ

Getting the pinion free of the clutchbell is a right cow of a job - killed one of my hex drivers in the process :/

Got it free in the end though...

To be honest, my plan to get the engine out last night didn't happen as I got distracted by the clutchbell carrier lol

In particular trying to get the pinion off and then trying to get the bearing out (all of this because I noticed there seemed to be a bit of stiffness when rotating the pinion/clutch....IMG_20141109_221951_zps8ilw5cmn.jpg

The damn thing just doesn't want to budge!

I migh5t have a quick go at it again tonight :)

Get some heat on the housing they should come out quite easy then mate.;)

Looking good mate, it has had some abuse by the looks of things. I'd take the opportunity to pull the gearbox and service that also, you want to make sure you have an alloy case filled with oil, as opposed to grease.

Can you take a photo of the clutch square on so i can have a look at the shoes please?

Coming along nicely Maz, 10/10 for effort, 6/10 for cleanliness ;)

That, believe it or not is the Story of my life :D

Looking good mate, it has had some abuse by the looks of things. I'd take the opportunity to pull the gearbox and service that also, you want to make sure you have an alloy case filled with oil, as opposed to grease.

Can you take a photo of the clutch square on so i can have a look at the shoes please?

Couple of quick pics

IMG_20141111_180911_zpsvgaaczg2.jpg

And from a slightly different angle to show the fubar'd clutch shoe

IMG_20141111_183005_zpsgub8ondr.jpg

Looks pretty knackered eh?

Had a bit of a mess around last night and finally got the engine off

IMG_20141111_192603_zpsvrhxs0ky.jpg

IMG_20141111_192648_zps6yyfk81g.jpg

This was loose

IMG_20141111_192738_zps9os1yyq1.jpg

IMG_20141111_192952_zpssmhg2r33.jpg

I assumed it was supposed to be connected on the tab so I stuck it back on

Really needs a jolly good clean I'd say

IMG_20141111_210322_zps0j7tsj4t.jpg

IMG_20141111_210330_zpsclhl5fo8.jpg

I'm going to start by trying to brush off as much of the crap as possible then attack the greasy cacked on dirt with "something that I haven't thought of using yet"

After I've cleaned it as much as I can (which in noj's eyes will never ever EVER be enough...)

I'll go about taking the head off

(bit worried bout that bit lol)

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Scoring on the piston I know about (saw that in a thread I read **love that "search button"** :) )

Hopefully my irc chassis should arrive soon as well :) :)

Edited by MAZ

Just watch the TFE one, he can be a bit slow but the engine rebuild guide is a good one.

Although unless the engines borked, I wouldn't bother, just run it and make sure you like it :)

You got a link for it at all?

It's a series, this is the first one;

It might jut give you a better idea on how they tick, so to speak :)

They're the ones I've been watching!

Really good, very clear and easy to follow :)

I want to strip the engine (maybe not completely though) so I can give it a really good clean

actualy if the engine is 2nd hand stripping it down is such a bad idea for the below reasons:

1. you can check the condition, scratches and the like

2. most common reason for selling cars like this is because the engine doesn't run right and the owner doesn't know or doesn't care to find out why. and its usaly because of blow gaskets or worn out piston ring

3. its a good moment to clean out the oil, more so if you don't know what was run before hand as synthetic and mineral oils don't play nice together.

4. you will probably have to strip it down eventually anyway, so may aswell learn now.

it also helps when you come to have an issue, when you take it out you can see the changes which will help in finding the problem should the other options have failed first

My main thinking was if he starts it up now and it doesn't run, it's something you know it arrived with, if you strip it down, it may have been running fine and then he may have all kinds of headaches with it if he doesn't put it back together right or something.

I just think it looks a bit tatty and used... Abuse it until it's definitely dead, then rebuild it.

While I've not had the best of luck with engines in the past, that's only been due to them arriving with faults, but any I've rebuilt have worked perfectly after (he says proudly :P lol)

Edited by Oh How Original

Cheers for the advice guys :)

regarding the engine - The thing is, the whole baja needs a strip down anyway (and I mean completely lol) so it makes sense to do the engine as well :)

The carb was in a state as well, looks like sand had got into it - i'm hoping its alright though. I took it to the workshop that we get our tools fixed and serviced and the guy said he'd put it through the ultrasonic cleaner (which is cool) I should be picking it back up whenever I get the chance to get back over there :)

i'm about to order these gaskets http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/gasket-4-bolt-e016.html?___SID=U

29cc piston ring http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/29cc-piston-ring.html

and this piston stopper & flywheel puller http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/flywheel-puller-and-piston-stopper-859.html

whats the best thing to clean the engine with? (both inside and on the outside of it) brake cleaner maybe?

I might start a separate "engine rebuild" thread lol

Edited by MAZ

I got my walbro carb back from where my work tools get serviced and repaired - all sonically cleaned

IMG_20141119_204106_zpsttwyacg0.jpg

The Chinese angled airfilter stack also arrived today

IMG_20141119_204219_zpsdprm0wri.jpg

IMG_20141119_204856_zpswn808u1t.jpg

I'm still waiting on the irc chassis though :(

Edited by MAZ
  • Like 1