• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to soldering up the Tekin gear and installing it.  And wow, what a difference over the stock electronics it makes!  But then, for the price difference i should hope so!  

Did a bit of a cack job on the soldering.  Of all the days for it to go wrong, it had to be on RX8 soldering day  :yucky:  The iron wasn't getting hot enough I think - time to upgrade to a Hakko.

Still though, it all works a treat and is all nicely waterproofed.

ZptrpZT.jpg
Ziapdgx.jpg
Wgrg3UQ.jpg
B7G1ydx.jpg

OJWHobH.jpg

Also, a while ago I added a VP 1 inch light bar. It's kinda drowned out by the Q-Series, but I added it all the same seeing as I had the mounting for it.

QnxeUUk.jpg
Ak8JGRy.jpg

Lastly, I got my hands on some red STRC gear. It's an STRC web site exclusive colour, as apparently you can't buy the red kit at any other place online. 

OrvPSG8.jpg
704RrPF.jpg
FKUneRq.jpg
5Pagzyq.jpg
X4yyAY8.jpg
K26jPlv.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Pro4's crawl great, people have been using them for years in the Wraith, oh and have one in mine lol

What did you use to waterproof the RX8? I'm going to do one of mine soon with silicone conformal coating, but not till the warranty has run out

Yeah it crawls really well. It's low rpm resolution is fantastic, no cogging like you get with the stock electronics.

As for what I used for waterproofing, see the previous page mate, full details there. You'll probably be all good with the conformal though, I also considered that. Are you going to get the Ambersil one?

After installing my new exclusive red alum STRC gear, a second package turned up (the original STRC package sent me, believed lost). So I now have two sets of the following - see below.

I've placed an ad in the FOR SALE section too:  Click me!

ISSMefb.jpg
Edited by Zombi

Nothing wrong with a bit of mild OCD  :thumbsup:

When we going to see a video of this beast in action? I'm really considering getting the kit version.

Well i'll have to make sure I get some vids on the next trail day I have. I can't get any on a single run, as filming it and driving competently don't mix I find lol.

One other thing to mention about the Tekin upgrades - to mount the RX8, I used the plate that came with the Yeti in it's spare parts bag. As such, it had nowhere convenient for me to mount the BEC, so I decided to stash it in the RX compartment.  I didn't want to do that before as I have concerns about the electrical power of the BEC interfering with the RX.

It was a tight fit but went in snugly. I'll have to see if I get issues with range or dodgy signals though, and re-position it if I do.

Another mod I did which I haven't mentioned here was to vent the tyres.  If anyone wants detail on what i did and how let me know and I'll post up some info.

As I'm using my BEC to pump 7.4v through an RX that's only supposed to only be able to take 6v, I've made this RX bypass.  Others using the Axial AR-3 receiver (which is just a re-branded Flysky FS-GR3C) and doing the same as me have reported back that it's absolutely fine and able to take the extra volts. 

But just in case I burn it, I might use this instead. Or maybe I'll just risk it on my next run, which will hopefully be Sunday.

fSn3QqC.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Wow, some pretty advanced stuff there - and probably more tech than I actually need.

I've heard a lot of good things about Futaba radio gear though, so I could well see myself investing in something from those guys.

What's RX compatibility like?

Well for now I managed to stuff the bypass adaptor I made into the RX compartment, so the BEC is directly powering the servo now, no frying the RX.

http://holmeshobbies.com/RXBypass.html

To make it, I just copied what these guys sell. Saved me a fair wedge of dosh methinks.

Edited by Zombi