• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Another good tool I picked up today was this. Carrying around a set of drivers when trailing was starting to get irritating, plus the machining on these tips fit the slots perfectly. Proving the age-old maxim "you get what you pay for" to be as true as ever.

5EG5ypC.jpg
XUR9z7a.jpg
iWsJxXp.jpg

Edited by Zombi

I need to get myself a decent crimper and actually learn how to use it properly. I'm gonna need to crimp connectors for future lighting projects and using pliers to do it is like trying to give a gnat an endoscopy!

Zombi, do you reckon the stock electrics are powerful enough to work one of those VP light bars?

Well it's really easy and there's plenty of how-to YouTube vids.

As for the lights, bar or Q-Series, you need to power them straight from the battery, and it needs to be 3S for full brightness (I think the lights are rated 12v). The RX is woefully inadequate outputting only 6v so you can't route them through it as they'll be really dim.

With the stock ESC, I would just solder a JST connector inline with the power cables and you'll be sorted. Don't do what I used to and run them from the balance lead (see previous posts).

Edited by Zombi

Ahhh I get you. Yeah that makes sense. I knew they wouldn't be powerful enough from the receiver but was unsure if it was going to be a BEC job or just connect it to the ESC as you suggested. Cheers mate  :thumbsup:

(Left you feedback btw)

Edited by Sharkfat78
  • Like 1

We probabaly share similar views, as my thoughts were around the production quality of the pieces and how their fit will be. Now that I have them in-hand I'm pleased with them; they seem nicely made with a good anodised finish. 

We'll see about fitment tonight when I start putting it together. As ever, I'll do a full update.  And if they go together well, there's a bunch of other GPM goodies from AT i'll be ordering.

• Like 1

When I first built my Wraith I used a few GPM parts, some where ok and some not, the knuckles slopped out quickly and I bent one in a minor roll down a bank, but I'm still running their centre gearbox casing and it's been fine so far

First one in, and I'm rather liking it - a lot! 

Ei8iAXY.jpg
dZSnqMX.jpg

As you can see, the existing cover's taken some serious abuse and was starting to warp. Eventually it'd start to let water in which would be quite the dampener on my day out.

MfXVB6G.jpg

Everything nicely packed in there still, you can see the BEC tucked away snugly.

4k7KoP7.jpg

And with the cover in place and looking really good TBH.

GyPHdEo.jpg
IpMiYZI.jpg
hUwChNt.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Bellcrank done.  So it all fit well together (without my servo saver mod - see below for more on that) and looks nice. 

Stripping the stock stuff out.  I reused the bearings that came with the VP posts as they were absolutely fine. Gave them a quick sprucing up though with the ole IPA contact cleaner.

R9MvVqe.jpg
KsU6Bjf.jpg

The GPM bellcrank really does look the part.

7HtOE8h.jpg
RY2q7pS.jpg

So here's my servo saver mod that i've been running. I use the larger bearing in the pic over the spring to create extra pre-load, thus tightening up the steering's give.  I advise anyone reading this not to use this mod with the stock servo - you WILL strip the gears inside it (as I did).  As you'll see, the top didn't screw all the way down, only partially. Hopefully it's enough to hold, but i have a feeling it'll give out and I'll have a broken bellcrank on my hands. So on my next trail day I'll be taking the stock plastic with me in case I need to do a field repair.

jUGjF6B.jpg
KdKUKXF.jpg
xm7bNfS.jpg

And finally putting it all back together, along with a power up to test it. I'll take it out later in the week before Sunday to give those screws a bit of a bashing, see if they hold.

AaXzBSS.jpg
LOugVa3.jpg
j6jVJyq.jpg
G6KQtrE.jpg
HPLh45Y.jpg
uWlQtjR.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Them parts look really nice, just wish Axial would hurry up with the release of the kit in the UK, then I'm jumping on the band wagon :)

I was on a knife edge between a RTR Yeti in Apex and the Wraith but then andy put his Wraith up for-sale which made my mind up for me ;)

So regarding the screws that aren't all the way in, i'm going to get some M2 stainless washers and fill the spaces. It's pointless taking the risk of ruining the piece when I can fudge a solution to it.

I got hold of some M2 washers from eBay and put them on the posts last night, so all sorted and the screws now seat properly. I'll still take the stock bellcrank with me on the next run or two just in case though.

I've been trying to fix a wobble I have on my spur gear. I'm narrowing it down more and more, and I now think it's the upper shaft that's every-so slightly bent causing it.  I have a new one on it's way from "AsianTeens" so will hopefully get it fixed next week.

• Like 1

Got the motor plate and cover on now too. All super and looking good, but i do have two comments. Firstly, why the "YETI" text on the cover, GPM?  Bizarre, would have been better without it.

And secondly, one of the screw holes on the plate which the cover goes onto was seemingly not machined correctly as the screw struggled to go in. Once it did though, everything was fine.

The goodies

2Ly3hkV.jpg
kdicXtI.jpg

Before

xUEauRJ.jpg

After

IVXdxHp.jpg
mKoY2bg.jpg
odIJzDk.jpg
sPBD9LW.jpg
XBZGPcR.jpg
RmpXVc6.jpg