• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Removing glued tyres from rims......

chrisjw

I took delivery from Schumacher Racing today, of a set of slicks for my 1/8th on-road......However, they've arrived on the wrong rims......I ordered spoked rims & the ones delivered are solid plain rims......I've been on to them & apparently their site hadn't been updated, so the solution is to either send the whole lot back for a refund, or try & remove the tyres from the rims as they'll look crap on my car........what is the best & safest way to remove the glued tyres without damaging them?............These are the only fully slick (smooth, no tread whatsoever) tyres I could find in the UK, so I'd prefer to keep them.............thanks.

I've always found boiling them to be the most effective way, have a look at some youtube vids as there's plenty to help you out. If you decide to boil them then take care if the inside of the rim has a couple of holes drilled as the foam inside has a habit of soaking up the boiled water and promptly dispensing it all over your hands as you try to pull the tyres off...

If you boil or 'oven' them, when they're moving on the rim, remove them off.

If you allow them to cool before doing this I found they bond again, which is a tad annoying!

If you oven them, ensure there's nobody else in the house for at least 2 hours after you finish - it will STINK!

Acetone - DON'T smoke and if possible do it outside - highly flammable and very strong odours.

Enjoy!

Al.

I got good results and fewer third dgree burns using glue debonder.

Boiling was a nightmare ...... and yes...I enjoyed the full fun of boiling water in the foams............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

which was annoying.

Baking made the rims go soft, and I had some distortion problems. As well as the truly awful stick that stayed in the oven. I am sure I could taste it in the food for days after.

not nice.

Haven't tried acetone.

The glue debonder takes time, but leaves teh rims and tyres nice and clean afterwards

Thanks for the replies guys (both on the subject at hand & the use of my full stops, although I fail to see how they seem to have offended...it's how I've always typed)....I've decided to leave the tyres on the dish rims (ugly as they are), as I don't want to chance damaging the tyres....it's taken ages to find them here in the UK....However, I've now sprayed the rims black, which disguises them a bit better....I'm contemplating maybe drilling holes in them, pepperpot style, but I'll see.

Edited by chrisjw

Probably for the best, especially with on-road tyres. All the methods above are great for saving the rims but not necessarily, the tyre. Acetone can be useful if the tyre sits above the solution but while you can get away with it with some compounds, softer compounds tend to suffer.

I have not had a single tyre that was useful after the oven method, the heat just killed the tyre. Can't say for boiling.

• Like 1

Probably for the best, especially with on-road tyres. All the methods above are great for saving the rims but not necessarily, the tyre. Acetone can be useful if the tyre sits above the solution but while you can get away with it with some compounds, softer compounds tend to suffer.

I have not had a single tyre that was useful after the oven method, the heat just killed the tyre. Can't say for boiling.

Yes....& the tyres are glued all the way around the rims...as I say, I don't want to risk damaging the tyres...I'm not bothered about the rims, as I have loads.

• 2 weeks later...