• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Petrol Owners Look Here

Monstrous

• 7 months later...

I've just been reading some of the product reviews on nitrotek.co.uk and someone asked if petrol cars need to be run in like nitros

" this is a great product but do you have to run the engine in like nitro models?

Nitrotek says: No, on petrol models you do not need to run the engine in. "

Are they correct?

I've just been reading some of the product reviews on nitrotek.co.uk and someone asked if petrol cars need to be run in like nitros

" this is a great product but do you have to run the engine in like nitro models?

Nitrotek says: No, on petrol models you do not need to run the engine in. "

Are they correct?

I always run a gentle tank through the first time. Just to bed everything in.

Unless its an "Oddie" engine has he runs them in on his dyno :D :D ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Lads. I'm a new member to this site but i have owned a 5b for nearly 2 years now.

i've tried to keep it stock really but i have made a few changes to it. its had fitted to it a 30.5 stroker bore kit, k&n filter, turtle race clutch and also matel spur gear.

i have found that the pull start can be unreliable but i cured that by using my wifes stocking as a dirt cover.

cheers..migsy

Edited by migsy
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

This has been a good read for me, I have done nitro and battery for ages now but not had a large scale til now. It is pretty addictive though as I now have 2 and just started to scratch build a 58cc monster based on a chainsaw motor and a extended hobbypro chassis plate and tube roll cage for extra strength ect. May try and do a build thread on it but it will be my first go so don't know how smooth it will go.

• 3 months later...

A not so important, but highly recommended upgrade is Front Cable Brakes. Unless you are running around a 5 acre field the stock brake is next to useless if you need to stop in a hurry, the front brakes will improve the stopping power no end and will stop you killing the neighbour's dog down the park.

This link doesn't work, but I have found different ones. Dont think they will fit my hobbypro superchief, does anyone know where to look for them??

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question about failsafes

do you need a specific one for whatever model you have or are they all the same?

i would deffo run a fail safe unless you want your car shooting of across the feild when your battery runs out there like 15 pounds instead of 200 fixing your car when its broke

are all petrol engine base settings the same or can any one tell me the base settings of the xrc rc2 cheers seems to bog down little on full throttle u have to tap tap tap and off u go lol

sounds like to much or to little fuel goin in the carb try turning the fuel mixture srew in half a turn the low one had the same proplem mate

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Marders are pretty solid beasties... few things to watch though.

1) Make sure it has a 3-channel radio and a remote killswitch. If anything goes wrong you can kill the motor from the TX. Can save a nasty accident!

2) Gear mesh. If it still has plastic engine mounts, the engine can move...this means the gear mesh between the external gear on the diff and the small gear on the layshaft can wander. Chews up the gears. Keep an eye on it and check after running.

3) Watch out for loose drive squares on the rear axles...loose layshaft gears too. These are held by grubscrews that can loosen off leaving you with no drive. Easy to sort...but worth knowing.

4) Avoid dodgy K&N style air filters. Stick with stock FG or replace with HPI filter kit or perhaps an UberRc one. Top it off with an Outerwear prefilter.

5) If your motor has not had the mesh-mod done...consdier doing it. This involves covering up the nig holes in the crankcase fancover with ally mesh ( the body repair stuff you can get in Halfords) Just search Mesh Mod and there are loads of guides.

Aside from that...they are pretty rugged and hard to break. Just don't run into solid things when you go fast :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys. I'm having trouble with my servo tray. changed from a stock to a carbon fibre. The problem is that the servo for the throttle doesn't quite fit. I bought an alloy one with servo savers hopeing they would reduce the size of hole allowing the servo to fit snug. This was no use. Can I buy servos that size between standard and 1/4 scale? I also tried to apply my hitec hs-805mg servo but it's to big. A king cobra ss001mg fits perfect. Any help appreciated, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to shoe a 100cc chainsaw lump into the chassis, i notice youtube have shoehorned 62cc twins in so a 100cc shouldnt be much larger right ?

how hard is it to convert a buggy to shortcourse or shortcourse to a buggy.

can you fit 2 speed boxes to the hpi baja's or they just fit the king motor types, can/is there a three speed box and why do most not run two speed boxes

2 speeds will fit hpi and clone bajas, they arent all that popular due to the fact they require more maintenance and arent great off road. they are mainly used for on road speed bajas. Probably more for show then actual use. and no their isnt a 3 speed.

as for the engine, a 100cc chainsaw engine probably dosent deliver much in the way of power, the 62cc is made by a company and has oddles of power. but a chainsaw engine will be a low revving lump. it probably can be done but i see no advantage

wow am loving that three speed. damn that thing shifts along.

well being a landscaper i come across a few dead old chainsaws and weedwhackers, so was thinking of a homebrew port and polish to give them back some life, maybe just come across one thats a diamond and worth using.

chainsaws are high reving machines, they need to be to keep those teeth chewing. weedwhackers tend to be lower reving.