• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BJK's KM002C

Bigjimknickers

THAT pin should never come out. In your status, I thought you meant the gudgeon pin....not that one!

It's also not supposed to be going ANYWHERE near the inlet port. That's why the inlet side has the pin. It ensures the ring gap never ends up over the exhaust port where it can snag on the port openings and snap the ring. That's why the piston has an arrow....Keeps the ring gap on the inlet side away from any port edges.

The damage to your motor shows the piston ring has gone below the top edge of the inlet port, which it shouldn't really. The inlet goes into the crankcase below the piston, drawing mixture in as the piston rises and negative pressure is generated.

I would blame that on the 30.5 motor using a stroker crank on a cylinder not designed for it. Add in some bad manufacturing tolerances, and that's the result.

Time to e-mail those pics off to the shop with a request for a warranty repair! That's not siezed through neglect or bad tuning....that's poorly made. The damage to the top edge of the inlet port and the shiny burred end of the pin shows what happened.

I'll email them, not really sure what to say exactly?

Dear Sir..

your piston fell apart and ruined my engine. I'm not happy. Please be so kind as to send me a new piston and head. The Sale of Goods act dictates that items should be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, which these are not. More than happy to send you the failed items for your perusal.

Lots of Love

Jim

Something along those lines :)

You may get nothing, but it's worth a shot.

• Like 3

I don't know how to email pics over the phone!

E-Mail to them whilst on the phone.

MUCH faster result, it'll be sorted a lot quicker, rather than E-Mailing back and fourth while they're also E-Mailing other people and packaging items to be sent etc... You get the other persons full and undivided attention then.

E-Mail to them whilst on the phone.

MUCH faster result, it'll be sorted a lot quicker, rather than E-Mailing back and fourth while they're also E-Mailing other people and packaging items to be sent etc... You get the other persons full and undivided attention then.

I've emailed them the question of warranty, and emailed the photos.

I'll call them tomorrow to ask them to check the emails as I know they never answer emails!

I've emailed them the question of warranty, and emailed the photos.

I'll call them tomorrow to ask them to check the emails as I know they never answer emails!

Best idea :)

Reason I said ring first before E-Mailing is so they can find it a lot faster, got to remember they also get E-Mails about mobile phones and repairs too so they have a very high volume of E-Mails to get through :)

I must be missing something in your pictures I can see the port is a bit rough and the plating looks shoot.  but were is the chunk out of the bore ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you get it sorted Jim, if you need any help let me know.

Cheers Nick, my usual trouble is leaving things too long & forgetting how to put them back together!

Or losing interest totally & I CBA!

I bought a new gasket set & ring but I'm amazed how fast it wore out, I used castrol fully synthetic A747 too, I've still got petrol left in the first 5L can I mixed!

Hope this works, got no more cash for rc now, gotta spend on the house.

Yeah I know exactly how you feel, it's the motivation to get it working on to have it break in a different way pretty soon after. It's why I have almost sold all of my stuff now, the 5ive was unstoppable but getting the motivation to clean it etc just wasn't there for me. 

Although when they do run, they are amazing fun! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only the one thing Jim,

You could buy some metal mesh sheets and hot glue it to the open sections of the engine whilst it is out of the car. It saves stones and/or large objects getting into the flywheel, crank case area and whilst the engine is out its the best time to do it.

AHEM...

Engine install is going well, I had to stop as I need to solder my killswitch an that is a job for tomorrow, I'll have it running then. Out of interest I compared the CY compression to the KM & its clear to see something is badly worn in the KM, but so soon?

AHEM...

Engine install is going well, I had to stop as I need to solder my killswitch an that is a job for tomorrow, I'll have it running then. Out of interest I compared the CY compression to the KM & its clear to see something is badly worn in the KM, but so soon?

We need to have another meet up bash mate. Want to see your km in action again.

It lives!! Now that's how an engine should be, banged it in, primed the bulb, 2 pulls, coughs, 4 pull, started! Silenced Dom sounded beefy, but takes the sting from your ears, I'll be out soon Gazlam just need a few finishing touches.

• Like 2