• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Psycho 4x4x4 (Tamiya Agrios) Build Thread

johninderby

TXT-2 bodies are like hen's teeth!

I missed out on one on Ebay 3 months ago.

Found a place in Germany called Tamico.de lists the body, reference 11825779 for Eu 29.99 + P&P - not a bad price.

There's another shop, in USA that comes up, but its out of stock.

I'm fairly certain some of the Tamiya main dealers could backorder it with a bit of gentle persuasion!!

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

I normally wind people up by saying 'too shiny', but it does suit them!!

Nice effort.

Took a break from tidying up the garage - still ongoing!! - to 'fire up' my Twin Castle BL powered TXT-2 .... and got a box of neutrals!!

Lower drivetrain is tight - hold up one end and turn both wheels, and the other end turns as well. Reversed ends to check for slop, and no problem again.

It's at the gearbox / pinions. It'll have to wait!

Frsutrating me now - so close!

I digressed, sorry.

Looks great mate.

How about Bigfoot 6 (I think)? That was the super tall tyred one that appeared in the 6 million dollar man or something at the time!!

I do remember seeing this supertall Monster Truck on TV, when I was going to school!!

Not certain of the programme.

Bound to have been 6m $$ man, A-Team, or that helicopter series.

Al.

• 1 month later...

I normally wind people up by saying 'too shiny', but it does suit them!!

Nice effort.

Took a break from tidying up the garage - still ongoing!! - to 'fire up' my Twin Castle BL powered TXT-2 .... and got a box of neutrals!!

Lower drivetrain is tight - hold up one end and turn both wheels, and the other end turns as well. Reversed ends to check for slop, and no problem again.

It's at the gearbox / pinions. It'll have to wait!

Frsutrating me now - so close!

I digressed, sorry.

Looks great mate.

How about Bigfoot 6 (I think)? That was the super tall tyred one that appeared in the 6 million dollar man or something at the time!!

I do remember seeing this supertall Monster Truck on TV, when I was going to school!!

Not certain of the programme.

Bound to have been 6m $$ man, A-Team, or that helicopter series.

Al.

Do you mean Airwolf or Blue Thunder?

Awesome stuff, always wanted to do a 'scale' MT build myself. How do these things hold up to bashing? Would they take a 'mild' brushless setup?

Holding up just fine with the dual brushed motors (not the kit motors) and has good performance. Have seen a build or two with hotter dual brushless but parts breakage seems to be a problem. The most successfull brushless setup seems to be with one hotter brushless motor or two mild motors. The gearbox starts to be a problem when you try to put too much power through it. Axles seem to handle the power OK though.

It's a big heavy truck so throwing that weight around at high speed will break things. If it's speed you want then a Summit would be a better idea but just doesn't look like a proper monster truck.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Do you mean Airwolf or Blue Thunder?

This post took me back a bit.

There was a series in the 70s I think with Bigfoot with huge wheels flattening other cars.

Don't think a 1/10 or 1/8 with 300 mm diameter wheels would really be that stable!!

Not sure if it was Airwolf, 6M $$ man, or whatever ... loved it when I saw it.

It would be way too cheesy now!

Al.

Holding up just fine with the dual brushed motors (not the kit motors) and has good performance. Have seen a build or two with hotter dual brushless but parts breakage seems to be a problem. The most successfull brushless setup seems to be with one hotter brushless motor or two mild motors. The gearbox starts to be a problem when you try to put too much power through it. Axles seem to handle the power OK though.

It's a big heavy truck so throwing that weight around at high speed will break things. If it's speed you want then a Summit would be a better idea but just doesn't look like a proper monster truck.

John

Re: Tyres and wheels

The kit tyres actually work really well but are on the small side. However they're very light so that would help prevent breakages. Here's a kit tyre on a Revolver 3.2 wheel. Identical in size to the kit wheels but so much better looking.

AgriosTyres-2_zpsdaac41a8.jpg

I've got a beast of a Savage for the speed and serious bashing, but was wondering what these were like for a little 'mild' bashing, I really like the scale looks. You've answered my question pretty well though, it's given me food for thought :)

These are pretty damned good, and very realistic!

Can't wait to FINALLY get mine going, with the proper rear steer on the flick switch; left, centre, right on the DX3E I've bought.

Al.

• 3 months later...

Psycho's New Shoes

While I love the look of the RC4WD wheels they do weigh a ton (actually 3.37Kg) so Psycho has been a bit of a shelf queen as I'm a bit afraid of what might happen if I bashed it very much with those wheels. So anyway having a set of RC4WD Baja Claw 40 series tyres that were sitting around unused I got some lightweight Pro-Line Tech 5 wheels and mounted them up. Slight difference in weight. The Claws and wheels weight 438g each and the RC4WD Clod wheels and tyres weigh 842g each. :shockingscary:

The Baja Claws are a fair bit taller than the Clod tyres but with a lot less total weight they should be able to take a lot more punishment without something breaking off. Anyway that's the theory. :whistling:

So the RC4WD wheels are now just for display .

John

Psycho-Boots_zpsyizkc0la.jpg

Edited by johninderby

Have to agree with you.

I was in 2 minds when I ordered my 'alloys', whether to go for the Delrin ones.

Diameter looks a tad large there!

Wheels also seem more inset, 'though I don't suppose this will be 'bashed' in a Maxx / Savage / LST manner.

Al.