• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

did you have to pay to send it back?  my throttle servo died, and my exhaust was leaking bad, so they told me to send them the old parts and they would sent me new ones which isn't terrible, but on an $800+ truck i think they should just send you a new servo and a return label for the old one if they really want it that bad. instead of it taking a week to get to them and another week to get me the new one.  then again i am dealing with hobbico since i am in the US, so u guys might get better customer service in the UK.

Wow not read this thread in a while some seem to be having a bit more success than others ! Must say thou that reading 2 guys have had to send them back twice to HPI doesn't sound very good at all !!! Sounds very much like HPI's quality control has gone out the window..

These are what

A bit more Octane fun First we will start with a bit of back wheel walking and chasing the crows just to warm up

Then we will have a little play on the BMX track and try and hide in the long grass

Gear change is still a bit yes and no not getting third much yet but still great fun.

So I took the truck out this weekend...started great idled than took off I me steering was all over the place. I just replaced the throttle servo with a metal gear savox servo. So still using the standard HPI steering servo and it now seems this is playing up. Could the savox throttle servo be clashing with the receiver? not sure.

When I turn the steering battery on its fine steering all good. Turn the throttle on still all god. Start the truck put it down to try and drive it and than my steering is like locked in a hard left. Sometimes goes straight but will not turn right.

Could my steering servo now be going? Batteries are fully charged also.

Any help would be great.

Cheers Dave

Savox servos are superb - very strong and perform well - BUT, they're known to pull quite a lot of current.

It seems like the Octane is very finely balanced with the electrics.

It sounds strange, but it might be the Savox. Can you replace it with another, just to try?

Al.

• Like 1

Al I have just bought a standard HPI throttle off ebay and I will see if it is the savox...maybe if I replace the steering with a savox this may help?

Tug what do you mean Trim ends-point back?

Chances are that fitting the throttle servo you have tangled the wires in the box up. Have you unbundled the servo wires??. If you have you need to re bundle the servo wires as they were before you opened them, make sure they are well away from the black censor wire.

The octane, because of the way it is built, is very sensitive to it`s wiring, the servos will very quickly pick up interference from the CDI sensor wire.  

So make sure the servo wires are bundled up with a ratchet strap and get them as far away from the black wire.

Tug  if he using the standard Octane radio system there is no end point settings it`s a very basic system.

Edited by Ian w
  • Like 1

Hi Ian,

It did seem like interference, as steering servo and throttle were jumpy and twitchy if that makes sense..Ok thanks for that advice...yes I did unbundle them and just pushed them well jammed them all back into the box...does look like a mess in there so you think this could be the problem?

If I do change the steering servo to a savox one would this fix the problem also?

I am also going to change my radio to a Spektrum and a new receiver. Do you think the CDI black wire will still interfere?

Thanks David

I would not think that the Savox would make any difference all you have got to think is interference. I have not changed my radio yet but I want to change to Fly sky what I am thinking is wrap servo wires in aluminium tape to isulate them.If you are going to update your radio then do it now then you can bundle your wires up when you have finished. Your next problem when updating is going to be your aerial, chances are that it is shorter then the one that is fitted, you are going to have to get the aerial out as high as you can.

But as I said the main problem is interference. Rebundle those wires :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ok ill re bundle everything and give that a go....sounds exactly what its doing, as strange that I had full left turn and a bit a straight steering but NO right steering, so to me it did feel like very bad interference...

Thanks again Ian, I will let you know my outcome..

Dave

I have read about possible radio interference as well, with the aftermarket antennae shorter than the HPI.

Let us know how you get on - hopefully it's a simple fix.

Al.

You can't just extend a short aerial either, the length of the antenna is critical for the signal.

Yeah I want to do this if only to be able to install a kill switch, but I will wait to see if anyone else does it first.

how? the actual length is very importanthttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength

With most 2.4 antennas, you'll find the last inch is different to the rest of the antenna wire, this is the active portion, in actual fact this is the antenna, not the other part, the other part is just wire. As long as the active point stays the same, your ok. Why do I know this? Well i fly FPV aircraft and have modded 2.4 receivers to take an antenna that has a longer lead so I can locate the active portion away from any of my radio transmission equipment to minimise interference and maximise range

With most 2.4 antennas, you'll find the last inch is different to the rest of the antenna wire, this is the active portion, in actual fact this is the antenna, not the other part, the other part is just wire. As long as the active point stays the same, your ok. Why do I know this? Well i fly FPV aircraft and have modded 2.4 receivers to take an antenna that has a longer lead so I can locate the active portion away from any of my radio transmission equipment to minimise interference and maximise range

Yeah I can understand that, HPI must have modified the aerial they fit to the Octane I am sure the standard aerial for the HPI system is not that long