• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

If you look at my previous posts you will see that I have been doing quite a bit of work on my Octane after its last very promising run, namely:-

Fitted higher capacity batteries

Changed to radio to an Absima 3 channel rx with an Absima CR4T tx

Fitted a kill switch

Yesterday evening Nick and I went out again to do some more tests, hopefully a bit more tuning and to get some more video. Unfortunately, as soon as I started it (it started easily as before) I ran into problems of radio interference. Both servos were twitching quite violently and there was no point in continuing.

From my previous post, you will see that I did have some concern about antenna length. On the system as supplied, the top of active bit of the antenna (the short bit at the top) is some 6 inches above the top of the cylinder head,  due to the very long antenna wire on the HPI rx. With my Absima installation, due to the short length of the rx antenna,  the top of the active bit was about 4 inched BELOW the top of the cylinder head. Yesterday I felt that this was the cause of the problem, so last night, when I got home I removed the Absima system and went back to the original HPI one. This morning, I realised that before changing the radios back, there was another potential cause of the interference which I should have investigated first, namely the kill switch. Whilst I was at the track, I should have unplugged the kill switch from the rx in case the interference was being inject that way, but I did not think of it at the time!

On the Octane, its a bit of a pain to change the radios over, because in order to thread the antenna wire up the antenna tube, you have to remove the complete top of the radio box (the bit below the clipped on cover)  which also acts as the mount for throttle/brake servo. This involves undoing 7 screws, removing the throttle servo horn and dismantling the servo linkage and then putting it all back together again afterwards. So at the moment I'm not going to swap the radios back again to see if the kill switch was the cause of the interference. I want to get this thing demonstrating the potential which it showed on my previous successful outing. So the next runs will be with the original HPI radio and will be all about finalising the carb. setup.

List night was not a good session for either of us, not only did I have the interference problems just described, but Nick couldn't get his Losi the start! Fortunately, the place we use for testing is quite close to where we live so there was not a lot of 'Big Car' fuel used...

Harvey  

Hi all, David here from Melbourne Australia..So yes I bought an Octane had it shipped from Tower Hobbies in the states and NO Warranty...

So mine started first pull was revving like crazy adjusted the idle and it calmed down just enough to run it for say 2 or 3 minutes. Than my neighbours came out the thing is crazy loud so I stopped. I went to start I again the other day. Almost fired than dead. Ever since than NO SPARK at all. I have changed the plug 3 times, new batteries and tried everything NO SPARK.

I know the guys in the states are having problems with the CDI. The date on mine 20121012. So if your having problems check the date of CDI its under the serial number. The forum R/C Tech think it could be either

1) CDI

2) Timing sensor

3) flywheel & magnet

4) plug

5) batteries

So I have checked all bar the sensor and it just wont spark....

Any ideas would be great. Cheers David

If you speak to HPI i'm sure they will be happy to help, at the end of the day the car has been out 3/4 weeks so there's no way it can't be within warranty in their eyes. No spark at all isn't great. You say you've checked the batteries but have you actually checked they're charged and staying charged?

Edited by Bowerz

Hey Bowerz, I looked at the fine print on the Tower Hobbies website and they specifically state no warranty outside the US on HPI....a little disappointing I must say. I have just bought on ebay a battery charger metre to check the charge.....but I also bought a new charger as I thought my old one was no good....so trying to cover all bases..

Thanks Ian I will chat with Hobbies Australia..

Hey Bowerz, I looked at the fine print on the Tower Hobbies website and they specifically state no warranty outside the US on HPI....a little disappointing I must say. I have just bought on ebay a battery charger metre to check the charge.....but I also bought a new charger as I thought my old one was no good....so trying to cover all bases..

Thanks Ian I will chat with Hobbies Australia..

They mean by that, they will not assist with any warranty issues due to postage costs etc etc. You still have warranty with the manufacturer

Bowerz, I actually don't have any warranty...I contacted Tower Hobbies and this is on there website...

Please note that some manufacturers will not honor warranty claims for customers outside of the USA and Canada (HPI and Novak in particular). HPI don't deal direct with customer only through the distributor and because i'm outside of the US...guess what NO WARRANTY. I guess I should have looked at that but I was to keen to get the Truck. You cant even buy them from Australia yet...

Oh really??

Maybe it's because AUS don't have official distribution.

I've brought from the USA before with hobby products and never had an issue with warranty in the UK. That's a bummer.

Rather than just read into the assumption that you have no warranty, why don't you just do something about it and contact HPI to ask for help? The worse they will say it no but at least then you have the word from the horses mouth. Rather than getting yourself worked up here.

On another note yes it was a real shame that Harvey's octane didn't want to run but I suppose you can't win them all and with him fitting a killswitch that is untested and a new radio system, something is bound to go wrong. Thankfully though it didn't seem like it would be too hard to fix.

• Like 1

Check with them anyway.

This is a major issue, on a new high-profile product of theirs.

Castle Creations have always honoured warranty claims I've had with their ESC's.

Definitely contact them, push the issue. It's your 'hard earned' they've put into THEIR pockets.

Al.

Feedtheinferno,

Do you think I am an idiot....of course i'm not just going to assume I have no warranty. I have emailed HPI, contacted Tower Hobbies, and it states very clearly on their website which I quoted earlier NO Warranty outside the US. I guess its my fault for not checking this first but oh well I'll learn by my mistakes. I was on this forum only to look for a little advice so I would appreciate it if you would get your facts right before you mouth off...

In that video he doesn't know anything about not he's just talking about how happy he is that hpi had come mout with this 1/8scale petrol which is what he's always been looking for.. So no useful I do really.

Feedtheinferno,

Do you think I am an idiot....of course i'm not just going to assume I have no warranty. I have emailed HPI, contacted Tower Hobbies, and it states very clearly on their website which I quoted earlier NO Warranty outside the US. I guess its my fault for not checking this first but oh well I'll learn by my mistakes. I was on this forum only to look for a little advice so I would appreciate it if you would get your facts right before you mouth off...

I think you need to calm it down a bit, you are new to the forum and where I didn't think you were a idiot I was pointing out you should do something about it by contacting HPI directly as they are normally brilliant at helping even outside of warranty. Especially on a brand new model that is known for teething problems, which you hadn't said you had already done.

Edited by Feedtheinferno

Exactly.

Off topic slightly.

Back onto topic. I would imagine that me and Harvey will be heading out soon with the cars and I will get a video of it changing up through its gears as by the sounds of it the teething problems we had the other day are sorted.

When is your's meant to be back Ian?

Mine should be OK now Nick (original radio, no kill switch) I've not tried it in the garden (bit too noisy with the neighbour's windows open) but I'm ready to go when you feel like another try ... can't do the week end though as I'm at Crofton on both Saturday and Sunday.

Awesome, Friday afternoon then?

Also I found the probable cause to my lack of spark.

The killswitch cable where it runs though the motor shroud had been catching on the head and had rubbed the insulation of the cable down to the coper and as it's only 7.4volt the circuit must have been grounding on the head.

All sorted now though, got some brand new cabling and added heat shrink all the way down it so it's extra projected. Also added crimp connectors everywhere so it's nice and secure. Don't want it not starting again :)

Feedtheinferno,

No one thinks you're an idiot, this is THE friendliest forum you'll find.

However, as mentioned, HPI are very good at supporting their customers. Regardless (almost!) of where you are in the world, HPI must be able to help you out!?

Keep us updated on how you get on! ;)

• Like 1

Guys I do apologise, I guess i'm just a little annoyed that I have only ran the truck for like 2 minutes literally and now it wont start. I'll keep you updated on my progress. I have emailed HPi and we shall see how I go. Good luck with all your trucks..

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your problems goldiegg. I recently came across some instructions on an American forum which I think were from an HPI representative, for diagnosing ignition problems and I've attached a copy here, hopefully this may help.

Regarding the tank, if you are only going to leave it a short time, then there is no need to empty the tank. But I keep all my models in doors, and for this reason I always empty the tanks on my petrol models (I have an Octane, Maverick XB and Baja 5Bss). You can get a little hand cranked fuel pump from most models shops that will do the job nicely. Just make sure you get the version that is suitable for petrol.

Harvey

Savage Octane Ignition Testing.txt

Edited by HarveyC
  • Like 1

Guys,

Should I empty out the fuel in my tank while the truck isn't running? Or is ok for it to sit in the tank until I get it running. Its probably half full..

It seems that no one has offered you anything constructive to try, SO lets try and help a bit. A few things to check while you are waiting.

First, and most obvious are your batteries fully charged, battery supplying the CDI unit must be charged.

Has the spark plug got a good spark, your manual shows how to check this, plug gap should be set at 0.60.

Try getting a new spark plug and see if that works.

Is your fuel 25 to 1

Try gently adjusting your mixture screws check manual.

Try emailing UK HPI     [email protected]    they maybe able to help or they are on facebook you may pick up some help there.

When trying to start it make sure you prime it, choke on, pull till you here a "pop" as though it is trying to start then choke off set the throttle open a bit with the trim on your transmitter and try starting it.

• Like 2

I'm sure I read that the spark plug gap is wrong and that it needs to be far smaller, 0.3 or something like that. The stock gap is thought to be causing a weak spark, this in turn is causing running and starting issues.

• Like 1