• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi mini 8ight T

mydoddy69

Check this out, he has the same motor and turned the shaft down to correct size

http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/823547-losi-mini-8ight-t-build-leopard-motor-4s.html

Edited by silone74

Check this out, he has the same motor and trimmed the shaft down to 3mm

http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/823547-losi-mini-8ight-t-build-leopard-motor-4s.html

Yeah I did think along these lines however a little ringing round and I have found some pinions a 15t and a 17t but thats it so I'll give this a go and see where I'm at ..

I'll more than likely just mount it in a vice and spin it up then file it down

I have a pillar drill but you got no chance of hitting it dead centre on that or I'd have just drilled some out myself

Patience got the better of me and I have narrowed the shaft down first attempt went tits up !! . I went a tad too far and took it down at a slight bevel meaning the pinion was all out of line this left me with taking it down to 2mm or chucking it in the bin!! .. So this time I used the dremel and not a file, manged to get it spot on to take a stock pinion thank god ..

So got it all in and charged up my 2s only pinion I got is the stock 14 so running with 14/62 gearing have to say speed is much better on this motor dame as temps so I'm really happy !!.

I got a little footage so I'll get it edited up and try and post it later so you can see..

Guess what ? . Yesterday I sent the seller of this motor a message stating I was a bit hacked off it was not as described, wake up this morning to a message saying there really sorry and as a valued customer there refund me in full and I can keep the motor !! ..

So you can't get better than that !! . Might even get another now knowing I can get pinions as I reckon a 17/60 gearing would be spot on !

That's really nice, and clearly he's thinking in the long term about the value of one diddy little motor, and one valuable customer. Shame that doesn't happen so much these days.

The vid is interesting as you've a similar setup to me now with the dboots on. It would be really interesting to see the Leopard and the Velineon side by side. Watching your vid I reckon I have more torque than you but less top end.

That HS225MG is a mighty little servo. I got one for my Twin Hammers as the shifter servo for the 2 speed setup. Again looking at the vid I'm not sure it seems to flick the steerer arm round faster than the stock servo - what's your opinion of it when driving? To be honest, if I upgrade the steering servo, I would want it to be a lot faster to merit the upgrade.

Its a cracking little servo but does lack in speed the reason i went with it was ease of fitment and the stocker gave up the ghost which is on its way back for replacement under warranty always handy for a back up !!. Driving wise the only benefit is this one centre's better, speed and torque wise is pretty close to be honest to the stock one.. If you can id look for a quicker one but i don't feel for bashing around its really needed 

The motor is just brilliant temps are super cool so much so i'll be upping the gearing as soon as i find a bigger pinion in stock..  But then again i might just get another motor and try out these pinions i found perhaps up the kv ?? its not like its really going to cost me anything !!.. I'd say it has why more torque than the velineon on 2s and more speed don't forget i'm geared lower than what i ran my velineon 

That's useful to know. I was thinking of a Savox 1257MG mini servo as I've read about people using them in M8's. Might try and pick one up in the US.

It's a shame that the motor mount doesn't give you much lateral play to think about a huge range of pinion sizes, which might be an issue if you go to higher KV.

If I was a Losi engineer reading this, I would offer an option part on the M8T which is a redesigned motor mount, offering 2mm extra chassis clearance and a little more lateral adjustment, just like on an EMB-1. Then I would make an M8T kit which included the new motor mount, CVD's all round, and a slightly bigger wing.

• Like 1

I use the savox 1257 in both mini 8 and gtb, great servos to have, the mini 8 only needs a small amount filing off the stock mount to fit it, I think they are the best upgrade servo just slightly on the expensive side :)

Si

I may not need the higher kv motor as I'm still to try this on 3s !. I reckon it will be a handful on that and if so I'll just stick with that and get some more 3s and leave the 2s alone

I reckon losi spent there design budget down the pub and this was all they could muster with what was left and a fat old hangover !

Its getting there just some better springs and shock oil and I think I'll be done

Yep I don't know what ( or where) they were thinking with the design on the M8T.

In the US there's a lot of people run M8's on packed dirt tracks. The smoother surface will be easier on the motor and they run short heats. Maybe if they did do any testing this is where they do it. The intro part to the demo vid is on a hard pack track for sure.

The problem is that the M8T has really got basher written all over it. A lot of people buy truggies over buggies for this reason, and there's less scope for racing a truggy than a buggy. They put noob driver oriented AViCii  tech into it and the demo video goes on to show bashing on grass, and at a skate park. My tests with a box stock setup show that it is too hot on the motor if you put a whole NImH pack through it on grass, let alone a 2S lipo.

Shame on them. Someone needs to take their beer tokens away for this rookie error, and give them to us for perfecting the setup!

Edited by ninjagaiden

Oh also, I emailed T bone racing about a wheelie bar for the M8T. I know I can loosen off the slipper a touch, but if you are moving between low and high traction surfaces on spikes, and you gun the throttle on high traction, the front comes up and maybe a wheelie bar would be helpful.

At the moment I seem to get one thing sorted to then find another it's getting to the point I may just chuck in the towel for a little while and either shelf it or sell it ! :(

I thought you was making good progress with yours and happy with it.

Whats wrong with it now or what have you found which isnt right?

Thanks.

Yeh, I could always make a motor mount thicker, but in terms of performance is the leopard 2845 on a par with a merv on 3s?

If you mean just the motor then I'd say yes if you mean the the truck as a whole thats another story as both have there own little quirks to overcome ..

I dont think i thicker mount will be any better its the way its made thats the trouble a different design would be better and if you make one make 2 as id like one  :yes:

I thought you was making good progress with yours and happy with it.

Whats wrong with it now or what have you found which isnt right?

Thanks.

So did i   :shockingscary:

I got some play in the motor mount that i can't seem to get rid of, resulting in stripped spurs i think its the extra length and weight of the motor compared to the stock one.. Over time it has stretched itself so i need to find a way of support the end of the motor can so it can't move side to side.