• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bowerz's Losi 5ive progress thread

Bowerz

Ok, took the head off, and it's slaughtered. How it has compression I don't know but it does! So I've just given up with this engine for the moment and collected a 29cc from a guy from the local club that's had a tank through it and I'll probably put a new head and piston on my old one then keep as a spare.

Pics of both coming shortly :)

6C239A2F-7729-40EB-8D8C-C2CE25EB9D3F_zps

3E7D5E65-F329-4B4A-A427-91F63BADEEC7_zps

That the original head

that's what happens with cheep pistons

when it seized it smeard the barrel with cheap piston ring so I addressed the problem got a new piston and ring and started saving for a new engin

Yeh, I do like the process of building and stripping. The parents have just gone away on holiday (I'm 20 and still living the easy life with them) so I plan to bring it in the house on a sheet and tear it down then chuck all the plastics in a dishwasher! Photos to come ;)

Ok, another update, I'm typing this in the plane on the way to holiday ;)

Did a tear down of most things on the chassis and the rear end, replacing all the stripped screws as I go. There were a couple persistent ones but used the trick of a torx bit to get them out, apart from one I had to drill and hammer a slightly larger torx into. Is it obvious the parents are away by my new location of workshop?!

0FF98589-E993-444A-8CE2-CFF87A2C3258_zps

I also tried the dishwasher trick, to be honest it didn't work too well, manual cleaning needed :(

AD1DA74D-70CE-4C4C-A8C3-820E65B7AE2C_zps

I had it tearing up the back garden yesterday nicely until i stopped to take a call, whilst sat there idling, it just died. Just thought I'd walk over and give her a pull and away I'd be going again. I was gutted when I pulled it felt like the engine was seized. I couldn't believe my lucky, went to pull again and noticed the truck was trying to move forward! Then it dropped, something is locking in in the clutch.

Took the clutch out and sure enough a screw had come loose! Few!

I kind of wish every plane had wifi, as it's not fast enough for streaming videos I've just done a spot of shopping! Fingers crossed should be waiting for me at home when I'm back.

8dc84d0d052b324e1055ad02e863254a_zps3597

Edited by Bowerz

Great idea, will take a look at one!

I'm now considering either a wheel well panel set to stop debris getting in, or getting the entire penta body for the next 'big buy'. Suggestions on this?

Also lubricators and consumables. Which grease for where? Do you black grease the joints and whats the best back for the buck lubrication to use?

Edited by Bowerz

the plenta body is very nice, and good quality but you would need a new cage as the side bits have been cut off.

+ 1 on the keyboard stand, all of us use them

Yeh, if I was to do that I would replace just the side sections I think

Just a worthy note relating to my order.

Spoke to Nigel at Freespawn racing with regards to my order with them. I noticed I had ordered 2 sets of brake disks stupidly so luckily due to their move they didn't get shipped last week (the website did make me aware this might be the case). After speaking with Nigel and the confidence he has given to me as first time buyer from them (I have made an order in the past for something small and didn't do it under and 'account'), I can happily say I will not order parts from anywhere else. Really great guy/guys with sound business ethics that will do everything for the customer! And best of all the reason I ordered from them in the first place is more often than not they were the cheapest or on par with most other retailers. 

Also for those of you that go to order one small part then end up with 5 other parts, orders over

• 2 weeks later...

And the video, I was out with a couple other guys, one was taking the photos, the other one was running a vorza, he laughed when it would start after 2 minutes running (I'm running the engine rich due to it still being fairly new so plug got a but gummed up) then when I was swapping it out, he managed to put it in the deep puddle, fully submerged and fried his esc!

So the session above was ended by the pinion falling off, which turned out to be the pinion bolt snapping just out of the clutch bell, so new clutch bell it was. Whilst removing this I found the bell carrier bearings were shot so needed to replace them too. As always a

Meh as long as it works lol no ones gonna see it anyway.

Roughly how much would you say you've spent on your losi?..not including how much you bought it for (I'm just nosy)

Hi...nice thread. I just snapped my Losi 5ive pinion bolt too. I haven';t stripped one yet. What's the best way to get at it to remove the clutch bell. I presume it's engine out? I'm also considering buying the Vertigo Bell and Pinion with hex bolt as I've only run my stock 5ive with a 30.5 ESP engine a few times and can't be arsed breaking pinion bolts.

Hi darski,

The think the reason I snapped mine was due to the bearings being knackered and creating excess heat around the area and then a slight it of chassis flex as it snapped whilst running right as I landed. IMO the vertigo set is a bit over priced and I can see that hex becoming an issue (possibly rounding slightly etc). That's just me looking at it tho with no actual experience with it.

And yeh the only way to change it is engine out, but that I can do in under 5 minutes on mine and don't mind too much, the most annoying bit is removing the exhaust!

Madmo,

So far about

Hi...nice thread. I just snapped my Losi 5ive pinion bolt too. I haven';t stripped one yet. What's the best way to get at it to remove the clutch bell. I presume it's engine out? I'm also considering buying the Vertigo Bell and Pinion with hex bolt as I've only run my stock 5ive with a 30.5 ESP engine a few times and can't be arsed breaking pinion bolts.

Rather than spending a lot of money getting the vertigo setup, just reverse the bolt through the clutch bell and nut the end of it.

Basically get a longer bolt of the same M-size, and thread it through the rear of the bell, pop the pinion on as normal and then put a nylock nut on the end and tighten it all up, that way the bolt breaks, you wouldn't have to replace the bell as you can remove the bolt from the inside of the bell.