• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for new drifter project

RCAdam

Hi, I want to make a drifter from scratch as it is very fun and looking for a car that's more adjustable/upgrade able than my Maverick Strada.

Been looking around, come across these clones. Seem like fairly good quality for a good price - just not sure on which one. Maybe could someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages to some, and which ones to avoid.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-cars/cars.html?car_scale=24&car_type=129&price=-100

Few extra questions... 

1) Are they all 190mm chassis' ?

2) Should I go for a brushed setup then upgrade to brushless at a later time?

3) Not sure if I want to look after Lipos, seems quite a lot, so should I stick with brushed/Nimh?

4) Belt or shaft? Going to be driting in asda car park

5) What other things will I need? like extra part wise/ suggested upgrades

I also need: motor, body, esc, transmitter/receiver, battery, servo, am i right? 

If you're set on getting something new then they're probably your best bet... but you're much better off buying a better quality used chassis for a similar price. 

Either way, as a drifter doesn't need all that much power you could probably use an EZ run setup with no issues at all. go for something like this. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3in1-Ezrun-Combo-60A-9T-Brushless-Motor-RC-Car-Truck-/191100170856?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c7e753268

All but the drift devil that you posted are 190mm

As for the nimh vs lipo thing i'd suggest a lipo setup as an investment, It may cost more but you can charge in a fraction of the time and the performance will be much more controllable (less voltage drop) 

Get a belt driven car for drifting as you can then adjust 'countersteer' (how fast the front wheels spin compared to the back) 

You cant do that with a shaft driven car. 

hi pal. i was recently in the situation as you.

brushed or brushless depends on how deep your pockets are, it is perfectly fine to drift using brushed and they can run smoother then almost all unsensored brushless combo as no cogging at slow speed.

Sensored brushless is the way forward as they are a lot smoother at low revs but it isnt a necessity.

I prefer to run brushed tbh. It can be upgraded at a later time if you continue to drift or get the bug.

Lipos are a good power source but again not necessity. they can offer longer run times and better punch then older lower spec nimhs but i think it isnt that necessary for drifting.

Use what you got and upgrade if you feel the need or have the spare cash.

I have seen a lot of people drift outdoors with belt drives and they do seem to suffer from stones and debris snapping and damaging belts, where as shafts rarely have issues.

as it has been said there is limitation to both belt and shaft chassis. I would suggest using what you have or starting on something 2nd hand and then if the bug hits then look at spending a little more to go in the direction you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

also please dont buy r2 hobbies clones it hurts the scene  save up a little extra and buy from the companies that put all the research and development in  plus the parts will be manufactured to much  much higher standard eg the type c is a clone of a yokomo drift package type c, the dib is a yoko dib clone in plastic ( they now have had to make their own plastic version to try and gain some  market share back [DIB RS] the wolf is  a clone of alex racing designs white wolft r31 is  a clone of street jam r31

If you're set on getting something new then they're probably your best bet... but you're much better off buying a better quality used chassis for a similar price.

Either way, as a drifter doesn't need all that much power you could probably use an EZ run setup with no issues at all. go for something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3in1-Ezrun-Combo-60A-9T-Brushless-Motor-RC-Car-Truck-/191100170856?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c7e753268

All but the drift devil that you posted are 190mm

As for the nimh vs lipo thing i'd suggest a lipo setup as an investment, It may cost more but you can charge in a fraction of the time and the performance will be much more controllable (less voltage drop)

Get a belt driven car for drifting as you can then adjust 'countersteer' (how fast the front wheels spin compared to the back)

You cant do that with a shaft driven car.

You can set up CS on a shaft driven chassis :)