• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cornwall Bashing Club

Samuran

Are they any good? I'm actually tempted.

Some get them run them and just buy HPi or aftermarket parts when breakages appear.

If you look at the tear downs of people who have bought them and dissasembled and re-assembled them, they find grease where diff oil should be, slack and slop in pins, bushings etc. They say Metals are soft and plastics too brittle.

You're buying a baja for less than half the price of the SS Kit, you can't expect real HPi Quality. They aren't unuseable though and lots of people have them.

In all Honesty, in my opinion, I'd rather buy a good used genuine one for around

Edited by rally1998

I'd rather have a used genuine one as well actually. Although I'm also quite tempted by a Maverick Blackout MT, are they any good? Not that I'll be buying any more models for quite a while yet!

I'd rather have a used genuine one as well actually. Although I'm also quite tempted by a Maverick Blackout MT, are they any good? Not that I'll be buying any more models for quite a while yet!

Again varying degrees of reviews on them.

The most common thing people seem to be doing to them straight out of the box is replacing the servos. 

I like the look of them and I am itching for a Monster Truck or a Stadium style truck like the Losi 5ive!

OK thanks. I'll look into them a bit more if/when I seriously think about buying a 1/5th scale. At the moment I'm still paying off the loan my Dad gave me for my CC-01!

OK thanks. I'll look into them a bit more if/when I seriously think about buying a 1/5th scale. At the moment I'm still paying off the loan my Dad gave me for my CC-01!

That's fair enough :)

The thing I can't get over is the pure savageness of 1/5th scale stuff, the Bajas being rear wheel you can have so much fun doing donuts and drifts etc.

I know electric these days are probably more efficient and the speed is immense but for me there is something about a noisy revving engine and the size of the Baja that keeps me entertained :)

My Baja is a KM and the only issues were a poor quality pull starter and the carb was set too rich at the factory. It's not missed a beat since i sorted those things, all the shocks were properly filled, as was the diff, and the gearbox had a decent amount of grease and all the bolts were threadlocked too.

The earlier KM models were a bit iffy on QC but the newer ones (mine's nearly 12 months old now) are pretty much as good as HPI.

You also get a better specced rig with any of the '002 models too starting with a fully kill switch compatible radio system, better tyres, better exhaust, bigger engine, nylon suspension arms and shock towers (RPM copies)

I've always said thelat my KM is the best value rig in my fleet and was the best

Well I'm definitely more tempted now you've said that. Couple of questions though: do HPI parts fit the KM Bajas and, if not, are KM parts easy to get hold of?

Very tempted by this: http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars/king-motor-km-002a-baja-buggy-29cc.html

I'm going to see if I can make the ramp foldable/collapsible as Dad's not very happy about me keeping a massive ramp in the garage. I might be able to make it adjustable as well, still not sure if it will be strong enough though.

I tested it a minute ago and learnt a valuable lesson: when you've built a big ramp, don't do the first test jumps on a hard surface like tarmac. I learnt this when the motor in the Maverick moved slightly on about the tenth landing and stripped the spur gear!  :doh:

Edited by Luke B

Certain parts are slightly different for legal reasons (electronics box is slightly smaller on the KM for example) but are 100% directly compatible with genuine HPI/aftermarket parts.

The one in your link is the same one mine started out as :) don't look like that now though lol

Edited by Pistonhead

Best toilet related purchase i ever made :lol:

Long pooping session, got bored, phone came out, internet on, Baja bought. All within 10 mins :rofl:

:043:

My Baja is a KM and the only issues were a poor quality pull starter and the carb was set too rich at the factory. It's not missed a beat since i sorted those things, all the shocks were properly filled, as was the diff, and the gearbox had a decent amount of grease and all the bolts were threadlocked too.

The earlier KM models were a bit iffy on QC but the newer ones (mine's nearly 12 months old now) are pretty much as good as HPI.

You also get a better specced rig with any of the '002 models too starting with a fully kill switch compatible radio system, better tyres, better exhaust, bigger engine, nylon suspension arms and shock towers (RPM copies)

I've always said thelat my KM is the best value rig in my fleet and was the best

Fair enough! I understand your point of view and agree that they really should design their own stuff. I'm quite surprised HPI hasn't tried taking legal action against them, to be honest.

Believe me, if I could afford an HPI then that's exactly what I would buy!

Fair enough! I understand your point of view and agree that they really should design their own stuff. I'm quite surprised HPI hasn't tried taking legal action against them, to be honest.

Believe me, if I could afford an HPI then that's exactly what I would buy!

Buy a well looked after second hand HPI then when you've saved up!

HPI aren't a big company in the grand scheme of things, they can't bring up lawsuits to go after KM and Rovan in every country they sell their products nor can they go to the source because the Chinese don't give a damn.

I've just turned 26 which might be old to you but even I started to see how piracy and things affect the balance. You know what I do now when I like a movie, I go see it at the Cinema and buy the Blu-Ray. If it's not worth the money to own, then I don't own it, simple.

What do you do when you want to buy a flash car like a Mercedes, Audi, BMW when you can't afford new...you buy a used one, you don't go to China and buy a copy of one (Which they do over there, luckily the car manufacturers have got the money to go after them if they try to sell elsewhere)

People say well HPI shouldn't be charging

Edited by rally1998

Funnily enough I was just looking at used HPIs, there a few decent looking ones about. It's going to be a long while until I've got enough money anyway.

But yes, I agree. I hadn't really given it that much thought but I understand why your opinion on this is so strong now that you've explained the situation to me.

Oh and don't worry, I don't think 26 is old! :D

Oh and don't worry, I don't think 26 is old! :D

Phew, thought I was past it already :D:P

On the point of saving for things...

The first model I bought with my own money was the Terra Crusher, it was the last 1 of 5 Planet Hobbywood had in Newquay, they had it on display in the window.

I went in and paid a deposit and the following weeks, I'd get my wage packet from my first proper saturday job and every weekend on a Saturday afternoon go and give them more towards it, all the time it had a big sold sign on it in the window, knowing it was just for me. I was 14 at the time I think.

Gives you a sense of satisfaction that you saved up and got what you wanted. I paid