• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maesterio's Losi 5ive Build Thread

maesterio

What's that black cylinder on the carb? Is that something that the previous owner has replaced the choke lever with?

Also Wolfy and OHO how would you say you start a carb without a choke? As a carb with one requires either full throttle pulls to start it or the choke being on. Chokeless carbs, three pulls and it starts.

Do you mean the carb from your baja? I am confused as to what you are doing now.

If you changed the carbs over then you should have screwed the throttle adaptor back on without any resistance on the throttle body. Essentially meaning the throttle should be closed.

If it was open you need to adjust your servo before fitting the throttle adaptor to the carb

Also if you are changing carbs between cars it is worth mentioning that you want to change them back to factory setting first.

What's that black cylinder on the carb? Is that something that the previous owner has replaced the choke lever with?

Also Wolfy and OHO how would you say you start a carb without a choke? As a carb with one requires either full throttle pulls to start it or the choke being on. Chokeless carbs, three pulls and it starts.

Because as long as you have a good spark and do a few slow pulls (5/6 pulls) it pumps some fuel through, then some fast pulls and those first few pulls almost act like the choke is on for those pulls... It does work :)

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't change the carbs over, it's still got the stock carb it came with. Because it didn't have a choke I removed the choke from the baja & put it on the losi carb to start it up.

But as soon as it started the engine revved like crazy

I'm pretty sure the throttle was 0%.

Edited by maesterio

The way to tell what position the throttle is at is operate it manually, the throttle lever is on the opposite side (with the screws) of the carb. It's the triangle shaped metal plate, if it can be pushed forward then it isn't at full throttle, if it can be pulled back (from the top towards the engine) then you need to adjust the trim on the servo as it has throttle open even slightly.

Another thing would be the clutch catching, do the wheels move quite a lot when you try and start the car? Are there any grinding noises when it is running? Have you tried putting the carb to factory settings as the LS or Idle screws may be set too high.

I think the idle screw was the culprit as it was screwed all the way in and throttle must've been at 15-20%

Screwed the idle all the way out & now I am going to slowly go in until engine starts without engaging clutch.

The clutch does not catch when I try start it, their is no movement in the wheels.

I will reset the servo trims so throttle is not open, & mess with the idle until it starts. 

Edited by maesterio

Does sound very strange, kind of like the way the brakes were set up!.. Cams the wrong way round.

I'm far from perfect and sometimes shock myself with some of the 'noobism' I show, but some people get themselves into a rut with stuff and just don't get out of it!

Guess that's how the hobby is nobody is born with this knowledge we all start off a noob.

Starting a engine you have just received can be a pain, starting a 2 year old engine with no choke & wonky carb settings can be a bigger pain. Especially for me as it's my first day with the 5ive.

But should be good once it gets going ;)

to start a engine using a chockless carb/not using a carb you push the primer bulb like normal.(about 5 pushes from when the bulb fills).

1 slow pull of the pullstart fully extend.

then it starts after 1-4 pulls.

Good you got the problems sorted.

I prefere the cage look over a body as well.

Edited by (-:AD:-)
  • Like 1

Ok so kept trying & trying did not start.

Got back from park now, spoke to previous owner & he said I may have flooded it. As i tried starting it numerous times I must have pressed the bulb 15+ times (which I shouldn't have done) so it didn't start.

So took the spark plug out, cleaned it pulled it a few times without the plug.

Tried starting it again & she started. Idling good no problems.

Sucks I got it to start after coming back from park, will be taking it back out this weekend now.

Here's where I went though, gave the hyper a good bashing. Destroyed the clutch on it.

2euohh4.jpg

That's heaven for speed runs, it's pretty much dead all the time.

4twvhs.jpg

Behind that is a dirt bike track, will get the 5ive on it this weekend!

Got back from park now, spoke to previous owner & he said I may have flooded it. As i tried starting it numerous times I must have pressed the bulb 15+ times (which I shouldn't have done) so it didn't start.

Pressing the bulb won't flood the engine however many times you press it, all you're doing is cycling the fuel through the fuel lines and carb basically.

Pulling the pull-start 15+ times probably will though. ;)

• Like 3

Pressing the bulb won't flood the engine however many times you press it, all you're doing is cycling the fuel through the fuel lines and carb basically.

Pulling the pull-start 15+ times probably will though. ;)

beat me too it lol

Are the panels part of a kit or homemade? Is the bonnet part of the original shell or part of the panel kit?

This thread is really making me want a losi now! But I've got a half(ish) built baja on my hands! :/

the side panels are bartalone, and the top & bonnet panel are homemade

Couldn't resist it, pulled the old engine out

Du0d4Nj.jpg

Started disassembly of the clutch assembly & removed everything till the clutch back plate

QpE751z.jpg

Old engine now gone started assembly of the new one, cleaned everything replaced with a new clutch

G48ITpT.jpg

Going to leave it for now as it's 3:30am but here's a dry fit

mJM6i6f.jpg

B5efstG.jpg

qFgtAg0.jpg

The best thing about the 5ive is that everything is so easy to work on, as it's so big it's all their infront of you and their is no hassle to get under any parts.

You don't have to unscrew a million other things to get to the bit you need as it's all on a flat surface.

Engine looks wicked, currently it's got a 19T pinion on it which I think should provide reasonable low & top end from this engine.

Edited by maesterio