• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to do next?

Markswebpages

Ive been in this situation myself a couple of years back i bought a lightning 2 from ebay as spares repairs, it became a lot of trouble but eventually i got it sorted, then it broke again and again and is now converted to brushless, has a lot of vorza/d8 parts and is a bit of a hybrid- but its a beast on 4s. I guess you could say i eventually grew attached to it and just had to see it running regardless!

I bought a 2nd hand carnage brushless, it came in great condition but after almost every run something is bent or broken, its a nightmare to work on and i hate it- it just sits in the corner as im sick of it breaking doing what its supposed to do, and sick of how hard basic maintenance is on it!

I also have a kyosho inferno st r bought second hand and that thing is solid, easy to work on and so far i cant fault it- except spares support and prices but altogether its a better kit than both others.

I guess there will always be a compromise with cost\quality- but what i am trying to say is with a bit of effort and perserverence you can have at least one runner of decent quality from what you have, and that some kits\cars are just inherently crap to start with...

I suppose it comes with the territory when you're at the lower end. Funny how everyone says as soon as you mention you're trying to sort a model "let me guess, it was a second hand bargain". I'm sure sometimes fixing stuff makes no sense. I have enjoyed fiddling, just not when I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Markswebpages

It's maybe a separate issue.. But what do we "expect" rc cars to survive? Do we expect them to survive too much stick? After all they are mostly plastic and small machine screws travelling at real car speed sometimes.!

It's maybe a separate issue.. But what do we "expect" rc cars to survive? Do we expect them to survive too much stick? After all they are mostly plastic and small machine screws travelling at real car speed sometimes.!

That's a good question!

I think the thing is to some extent you get what you pay for. Turnigy stuff is very plastic made to a price, companies like HPI invest a lot into making the end product more durable.

I suppose we should all remember they are ultimately just toys for grown ups. Maybe I've just been a bit unfortunate with mine.

I do however think blasting around on some rough ground without it impacting a solid object like a post or a wall is something it should be able to do regularly without a major component failure.

This is why I was questioning the logic of buying new vs second hand as surely a major failure in normal use is something the manufacturer should sort out under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My only used purchases have been off the same bloke on here... One nearly new, one brand new just built up. Too many ads say great condition, no problems, only to be told when you ask that x and y don't work, but it's in good condition...! Though that SCT you bought looked fine, just assembled wrongly! Buying budget brands or used allows me to be greedy and have more than one.. I just treat them a bit more carefully.. :)

That's a good question!

I think the thing is to some extent you get what you pay for. Turnigy stuff is very plastic made to a price, companies like HPI invest a lot into making the end product more durable.

I suppose we should all remember they are ultimately just toys for grown ups. Maybe I've just been a bit unfortunate with mine.

I do however think blasting around on some rough ground without it impacting a solid object like a post or a wall is something it should be able to do regularly without a major component failure.

This is why I was questioning the logic of buying new vs second hand as surely a major failure in normal use is something the manufacturer should sort out under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

the thing is proving that you were using it sensibly at the time and not ramping it 20ft in the air, i wouldn't get too hung up on the warranty side, if you buy a decent roller and put in electrics bought new you'll have warranty on them, parts are going to break that's just part of the hobby, go with one of the proven basher models to help you on your way.

• 3 months later...

Just to update, this is where I've ended up.

All the nitro stuff has gone, kinda miss the Schumacher but short wheel base made it easy to roll, bits where a pain and couldn't be bothered to try and figure out a hex conversion for wheels. The only regret about getting rid of the rs4 is I spent over

• 8 months later...

Just because someone out there may find it useful I thought I'd finish this off.

The Slash 2wd was (and still is) a bit of a problem child, but is 100% better than the Turnigy one I had. Still undecided about what to do with it long term, but a great basher once the gearbox was sorted.

I came into a bit of spare cash and got a Traxxas Summit. Other than my own expensive over enthusiasm driving it through puddles and ruining all the bearings it's been a great all rounder and just works every time. Was second hand but in very good condition.

The Losi is still going strong and is like a cat it just seems to take whatever I throw at it, always lands on it's feet and escapes unscathed from all sorts of situations. My only slight regret is not getting the truggy, but this buggy has helped regain my enthusiasm no doubt.

I've just brought a HPI Savage XS second hand. It is a complete RTR version and original. It is proving interesting to work on, but I love the look of it and parts are cheap and easily available. I know these are heavy on the drive but really looking forward to getting out with it once it's rebuilt.

So in summary, do some homework before you buy and think about what you want from your buggy. If your buying second hand always budget for a complete set of bearings and some of the drive train, that way you can be sure of not being disappointed when you strip it to inspect it.

Loving RC now I'm starting to get a better handle on it [emoji2]

Edited by Markswebpages

Glad you didn't throw the towel in, but I did warn you about rusting bearings!

I've heard good things about the XS, but only if it's kept down on 2S. 3S tends to shred it, perhaps a bigger pinion for a little more speed?

Glad you didn't throw the towel in, but I did warn you about rusting bearings!

I've heard good things about the XS, but only if it's kept down on 2S. 3S tends to shred it, perhaps a bigger pinion for a little more speed?

I just got a bit lost I think, I used to race buggies 20 odd years ago and I didn't really understand how things had moved on and what some of these new buggies where capable off. I also got a bit carried away with buying cheap second hand "bargain" money pits.

Yes I won't be running 3s unless I find it boring, which having watched some videos I doubt. It's a chunky little bugger that's for sure.

I need to try 4s in the Losi though as I think that should be hilarious. Need to have a think about gearing first though.

Edited by Markswebpages

If you like SCT's the Blitz would serve you well. Basically the same as the e-firestorm, so proven to be strong but also can be tuned to race and handle very nicely too.

I just got a bit lost I think, I used to race buggies 20 odd years ago and I didn't really understand how things had moved on and what some of these new buggies where capable off. I also got a bit carried away with buying cheap second hand "bargain" money pits.

Yes I won't be running 3s unless I find it boring, which having watched some videos I doubt. It's a chunky little bugger that's for sure.

I need to try 4s in the Losi though as I think that should be hilarious. Need to have a think about gearing first though.

try a 6s....19/46...or close as ..then u'll understand the meaning of crazy!!

try a 6s....19/46...or close as ..then u'll understand the meaning of crazy!!

It did cross my mind I'm sure my esc is 6s capable. I think I'd like try it but prefer to have some control rather than something that's insane.

The Losi is a great buggy, easy to work on and very robust, very stable when in the air too. I just wish I'd brought the truggy as it makes me wince a bit every time it slaps the ground. I should maybe look at setting it up differently, but even then I think the extra clearance from a truggy would help.

It did cross my mind I'm sure my esc is 6s capable. I think I'd like try it but prefer to have some control rather than something that's insane.

The Losi is a great buggy, easy to work on and very robust, very stable when in the air too. I just wish I'd brought the truggy as it makes me wince a bit every time it slaps the ground. I should maybe look at setting it up differently, but even then I think the extra clearance from a truggy would help.

my heavy trigger finger mate had a losi8 brushless for xmas and it looks so much better then my hyper7.....he's killed his brushless revo many a time.. but has yet to badly damage the losi....slap??..lol! !...my hyper st yesterday was slappier then a slappey thing at the bmx track....like u every time I it slapped i thought..."aay ..that can't b good "..and backed off the throttle ever jump...I need to sort this out.....bottom of it now looks battered!! Edited by evssv