• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

are ftx any good?

NOFX

Hello, I'k lookin at buyin an ftx viper.I can't find any reviews so I thought I'd ask on here if ftx in general were any good.Thanks in advance NoFx :)

FTX are cheap and the parts are easily available. However, this is not necessarily a good thing, as I have spent as much on my Carnage as the cost of a new brushed one. And it still breaks every few runs! Would I buy another? - NO.

As the Viper is a new model I don't there is much information available yet. It is could be a case of going for it and then seeing how well it copes.

FTX re-brand other companies products for sale. They don't actually make cars at all as far as I know. It's quite a common practice.

This means you can't be too generic about whether FTX will be good or bad. Depends on the model.

I like the look of the FTX buggy, but don't know who actually makes it. Keep an eye out for reviews

yeah, FTX are an ok if you are looking to buy maybe your first rc or something cheap. but cheap comes at a price... parts are easy to come by, yes, but thats because people are always buying parts to fix em!

IMO if its not your first car or for you sons first car then id suggest getting something better, but that is only my experience with the carnage's...

the viper on the other hand i dont know much about, but in the end its still an ftx.

if your looking for that kind of style then maybe consider the axial exo. kinda out your budget, but will be a much higher than the ftx.

if thats to price then you go to a different type of car, maybe the hpi firestorm of the rustler. they are around that price.

Suppose it depends how hard it's going to be used, you can break anything if you bash it hard enough. If you're buying cheaper stuff then don't expect too much from it. My view is the FTX stuff looks ok for the price.

I bought a second hand vantage and sold it on immediately, as I wasn't impressed with the poor quality plastics...the chassis flex was incredible.

Check out the vantage/carnage owners thread for true reporting, plenty of satisfied owners, so they must be doing something right ;)

As for the exo, expensive and not without issues...the rtr is not good vfm, as the stock electrics aren't the best and it does require hop-ups out of the box...spares availability in the UK is very poor too....

The hpi firestorm is considered a durable and fun basher, parts are readily available too...

Edited by Noj

I've had my Carnage for almost a year and by all accounts breakages have been relatively few. This has surprised me as I have been very hard on it, it's been jumped, crashed, bashed, rolled and generally mistreated. A quick fix and it's back for more. However, if you read the Vantage/Carnage Owners Thread you'll see I've been lucky. 

But would I recommend one? Overall, yeah. Keep an eye on parts and maintenance and give it a good check after every run and you may well find it lasts well.

I bought a second hand vantage and sold it on immediately, as I wasn't impressed with the poor quality plastics...the chassis flex was incredible.

Check out the vantage/carnage owners thread for true reporting, plenty of satisfied owners, so they must be doing something right ;)

The chassis flex is what kept my vantage alive when it took some pretty insane crashes off jumps haha 

I can see that, however, being able to twist it by hand through nearly 90 degrees put me right off ;)

There are carbon and ally options for it lol

Hello, I'k lookin at buyin an ftx viper.I can't find any reviews so I thought I'd ask on here if ftx in general were any good.Thanks in advance NoFx :)

The Viper is a re-branded redcat mirage possibly a rebranded somthing else but   plenty of vidoes and info on youtube  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gotta say I have had zero problems with my Carnage (brushless) it's been a blast on 2s and tried a 3s in it in the works car park on Saturday and it goes like a rocket. No failures/faults and that's 1.1/2 years now!

• Like 2

Having had 2 ftx models I would always say great value for money but the build quality isn't that great, just a general observation.

Thanks loads ,I think I'll bite the bullet & go for the brushed viper.If its any good I'll stick a cheap brushless in it in the future :)

Thanks loads ,I think I'll bite the bullet & go for the brushed viper.If its any good I'll stick a cheap brushless in it in the future :)

Pics and review asap! 

• Like 1