• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help on new bike purchase.

DannyP

Saving my pennies for a On-One, prob take me a couple of months. Empire brought a bike in today, nice bike. Got some pics, will post them later.

Thanks for the forum suggestions, will have a look later.

• Like 1

Was in a bit of a rush and pics taken on my iphone, hence the poor quality. Really don't do it justice.

IMG_0023_zps7b7d91e0.jpg

IMG_0022_zps796a38bf.jpg

IMG_0021_zps9ccbed42.jpg

IMG_0020_zps3291a8ba.jpg

IMG_0019_zps7fa73495.jpg

IMG_0018_zps58823817.jpg

I did pick it up and it's light. Think he said 30lbs. Said he would give me a good discount, want!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a whyte Dorset, can't wait to ride it. Got a cheap Road bike off of eBay on Thurs and was hooked after one 20 mile ride, why I've never tried one before is beyond me.. I've spent years riding bmx/mtb etc. And always imagined that road bikes were uncomfortable.. Should have tried it sooner..

Whilst on my way to the zoo this morning I spotted a bloke riding a Canyon something CF road bike, lovely bike but lycra is not for me  :xd:

Decided I am going to build a bike from the frame up. Spent the last couple of weeks reading up on bikes, parts etc.. Not decided on a frame yet, loads out there and can't make my mind up. So I can't really look at other bits until I decide on a frame. Want to build an hardtail for the local trails,jumps and woods.

Frames I am looking at

Cotic Soul/BFe

On One 456 Evo Carbon

Orange Crush

Production Privee Shan MV

Santa Cruz Chameleon

Saracen Zen X

Commencal Meta HT

Probably a few I have forgotten :shockingscary: 

I know I will be going 1x10 with XT shifter, Zee rear mech and RF single chainset. SLX brakes.. Stans Hope hoops or SS AM Carbon wheels. That is all I can really decide on. Would like to go with a 650b frame but there seems to be a lack of forks compared to 26" within the same price range 4/500.

Any input would be great, suggestions on frames, comments on planed running gear etc...  :thumbsup: 

Whilst on my way to the zoo this morning I spotted a bloke riding a Canyon something CF road bike, lovely bike but lycra is not for me :xd:

Decided I am going to build a bike from the frame up. Spent the last couple of weeks reading up on bikes, parts etc.. Not decided on a frame yet, loads out there and can't make my mind up. So I can't really look at other bits until I decide on a frame. Want to build an hardtail for the local trails,jumps and woods.

Frames I am looking at

Cotic Soul/BFe

On One 456 Evo Carbon

Orange Crush

Production Privee Shan MV

Santa Cruz Chameleon

Saracen Zen X

Commencal Meta HT

Probably a few I have forgotten :shockingscary:

I know I will be going 1x10 with XT shifter, Zee rear mech and RF single chainset. SLX brakes.. Stans Hope hoops or SS AM Carbon wheels. That is all I can really decide on. Would like to go with a 650b frame but there seems to be a lack of forks compared to 26" within the same price range 4/500.

Any input would be great, suggestions on frames, comments on planed running gear etc... :thumbsup:

lycra is not a prerequisite for road riding ;) you'll never catch me in that get up. Ever!
  • Like 1

Although Lycra does look silly sometimes (when you are fat like myself) once you have been on a long ride wearing it you would not go back....if you go out and do 40 miles in a pair of standard pants/shorts then do 40 miles in a set of decent bibtights/shorts the difference in comfort is massive.

The Privee Shan in Gulf colours is a lovely frame, I also really like the Orange Crush and the Cotic BFE.

I also really love the Cotic Soul in the duck egg colour - http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul26

Why do you want to go for 650b out of interest? I think you would be best sticking with 26 for the parts availability and strength amongst other things, nobody knows if 650b will be sticking around whereas 26 has been around for years and always will.

Although Lycra does look silly sometimes (when you are fat like myself) once you have been on a long ride wearing it you would not go back....if you go out and do 40 miles in a pair of standard pants/shorts then do 40 miles in a set of decent bibtights/shorts the difference in comfort is massive.

The Privee Shan in Gulf colours is a lovely frame, I also really like the Orange Crush and the Cotic BFE.

I also really love the Cotic Soul in the duck egg colour - http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul26

Why do you want to go for 650b out of interest? I think you would be best sticking with 26 for the parts availability and strength amongst other things, nobody knows if 650b will be sticking around whereas 26 has been around for years and always will.

don't get me wrong I'm only decrying the look of lycra vs. decent freeride gear, I wear endura humvee mtb shorts and freeride jerseys mostly and for long days in the saddle I most definitely swear by my oh so flattering lycra under shorts with the lovely soft padding ;) also I don't like peakless helmets :D

On a side note I got an email from wheelbase today and my whyte Dorset will be with me soon, to say I'm excited is an understatement..

The Shan isn't available in the Gulf colors anymore unfortunately but blue and white which is stunning and also orange/black.

Not to keen on the duck egg myself if I am honest. Nor the green or purple that the BFe comes in now, like the blue from previous model.

The crush is a 650b frame that is why I was looking into 650b. I really like the Crush but the selection of forks in my price range is putting me off and a little about whether it's here to stay or not. Seeing as fork selection could be the most expensive part of the bike I want to make the right decision.

Think I have pretty much whittled it down to the Shan or Chameleon now. 

I

Well I am a fox kind of guy personally so I would go for something like this instead - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fox-36-talas-160-fit-rlc-factory-oe-none-kashima-fork-black-id82065.html?gclid=CMDm7uum470CFZShtAodtFwATA

The new pikes are supposed to be brilliant forks too but quite pricey - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox-pike-rct3-26-solo-air-160-tapered-fork-black-id78297.html

I also would go double rather than single and would go for something like this (which is an amazing price by the way) - http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt-m780-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-54656.html

How much are a set of Stans hoops? only reason I ask is I use Shimano XT M775 wheels and they are really light, really strong and tubeless ready - http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_M775_XT_26_Wheelset/descpage-1122470.html (if you could find some in the UK at a competitive price they are a blinding set of wheels)

From what I have read the 55's are a good fork for the money, little heavy but 'plush' feeling. Also looked at the Rev's,Pike and Lyrik's. Not really looked at Fox as I have always seen Rockshox's recommended over them. Will read up on the 36 Talas tho ;)

1x10 is definitely happening. Never use the granny ring, will help to push me get fitter as well.

Stan hoops on Hope hubs are around

Edited by DannyP

Yeah the only reason I recommend a double over single is when using a single you will probably end up running out of steam at quite a slow speed rather than having another ring to swap up to.....when riding XC or AM a single would be great but when primarily on road? not so much.

My Shimano wheels have been amazing, done a couple of thousand miles now and there are no issues, the hubs are still perfectly smooth and they are still straight as and I am no lightweight

Rockshox do generally get recommended over Fox as the maintenance costs and service intervals are friendlier but to be fair most of the people who recommend Fox are people who have not used them and are going off hear say as per normal, I have access to a bike with Fox and Rockshox forks and have also rode bikes with a variety of forks over the years and can honestly say I am more than happy with my Fox forks, if anything goes wrong with them Ill be getting another similar set of forks anyway, once you go fox you wont go back.....unless of course you ride a bike with BOS forks....http://www.ubyk.co.uk/bos-deville-160mm-tapered-steer-tube-trc-fork/9246