• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Watts to HP?

danny boy

Hello. Can someone check if I have this right? My leopard 4082 motor pulls about 3500 watts at 140a. A watts to hp conversion is  0.00134102209 hp for every watt. So this means that at 140a the motor would be giving out 4.693577315 hp? Or have I got this completely wrong? Thanks for reading.

Edited by danny boy

Peak output and real-world output are two different things, but we all love the 'on paper' specs- my Gmaxx puts out about ~500HP per ton :)

Im impressed I could not work this out. 

How would i begin? 

Hw sc8 120a esc , cc3800kv @ 2 or 3s

I have a volt metre but no lipo yet.

You need to know the peak/max current the motor is rated for and/or what it's peak wattage rating is, ESC spec doesn't matter in that regard- Castle don't list that spec for the 1410 motor( many brands don't as it happens ) but they might be able to provide it if you ask nicely.

Once you know that, it's simply current X voltage to get peak watts, divide that by 0.00134102209 to get peak HP. If you wanna know HP per ton, you simply divide 1000 by the weight of your model in KG, and multiply that by the HP figure...

Unless people still go by Imperial measurements for BHP...