• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MSUK lifestyle change thread (ok, diet thread)

Bigjimknickers

those times are most people's nemesis to be fair, we all suffer with couch inertia occasionally, I try now to keep it to a minimum making a point of getting up early and going for a trot on the bike before everyone gets up, then if you wanna have a slouch during the day you can but also keeping busy is key to stopping the endless cycle of walking to the fridge and checking/consuming the contents.. You will find also that as your calorie intake drops steadily so will the hunger pangs.. Just don't be to hard on yourself a little treat now and then makes the whole process easier imho.

Weds night I went to Bella Italian and made a right pig of myself but in a funny way it just spurred me to bike a bit harder the next day and be a bit more active..

A positive mindset is the the lethal weapon in the fight to get fitter and the more exercise you take the better your frame of mind will be, I thought it was all bs to be honest but I'm a believer now..

Been giving the gym some stick this week plenty off running/swimming/crosstrainer and stepper only lost a couple of pound in about 3-4 weeks but its going in the right direction and im in no big hurry currently at 14/3 from 16/4 aiming to lose one more stone ...going to dig the mountain bike out and give it a going over to use to get to and from the gym instead of driving

• Like 1

Just entered my first mountain biking event :D it's called the strumpy splash and dash and it's in the grounds of strumpshaw Hall not far from Norwich, should be fun as I haven't ridden in an event since my twenties (20 years ago)

I remember thinking back then how do these older guys do it? Guess I'm gonna find out. Perfect motivation to train though, 82mins of riding today and 15mins of cross trainer ;)

*sits here reading thread eating bar of chocolate*

meh i got bigger problems on hand other than ma weight.

kind of

..okay weight is also a problem ...

yay steroids 

A bit of advice for those fighting the bulge

Before i went away to work at the olympics, i looked like this, average build, bit over weight more fat than muscle 

3622_10151939970080574_1102239187_n.jpg

Now when i came home, i looked like this, probably thinking whoa hold on ..you look the same ..when i came home i had zero belly, very very thin, the above i was ..chubby 

6064_10152153691925574_183360530_n.jpg

I lost over 2 stone in the duration of the olympics, what did i eat? oh well..a steak EVERY day before work ..burger king, generally crap lol but i did SO much walking, talking a minimum of 5-10 miles a day it didnt matter, came home fit n thin and didnt change a thing just walked..a lot ...

..so it is do able but you dont need to punish yourself with nasty diets, just cut it down and do it in moderation and exercise, and the weight will soon go, if you punish yourself with diets i find time goes very..very slowly and its painful. 

and as a stark difference this is me at christmas just gone (look no different now) under the influence of many steroids leading to basically cushing syndrome, oh asthma ..yo so deadly when your older 

cqs_zps6ce83bbd.png

Edited by PurcyP

*sits here reading thread eating bar of chocolate*

meh i got bigger problems on hand other than ma weight.

kind of

..okay weight is also a problem ...

yay steroids

A bit of advice for those fighting the bulge

Before i went away to work at the olympics, i looked like this, average build, bit over weight more fat than muscle

Posted Image

Now when i came home, i looked like this, probably thinking whoa hold on ..you look the same ..when i came home i had zero belly, very very thin, the above i was ..chubby

Posted Image

I lost over 2 stone in the duration of the olympics, what did i eat? oh well..a steak EVERY day before work ..burger king, generally crap lol but i did SO much walking, talking a minimum of 5-10 miles a day it didnt matter, came home fit n thin and didnt change a thing just walked..a lot ...

..so it is do able but you dont need to punish yourself with nasty diets, just cut it down and do it in moderation and exercise, and the weight will soon go, if you punish yourself with diets i find time goes very..very slowly and its painful.

and as a stark difference this is me at christmas just gone (look no different now) under the influence of many steroids leading to basically cushing syndrome, oh asthma ..yo so deadly when your older

Posted Image

wow purcy, that's the result of taking steroids long term for asthma? I feel for you fella, never suffered with something like that myself but my wife sister does and I witnessed one of her more severe attacks and it was scary stuff..

Yessir

been on em since October 2012 and are the only things along with aminophylline thats keeping me quite literally alive. 

the moon face and weight gain is one thing but its the damage it does you cant see, my eyes are now sensitive due to high pressure from water build up in the face, mental health problems..list goes on n on :/ 

yea watching an asthma attack is never nice as you are rather powerless, when i went into respiratory arrest i ended up having one of the nurses in tears, she was about my age and we became rather good friends throughout my 4 month admission lol but even she with her tough resolve had a limit.

Edited by PurcyP

Quick update, 93kg today :D persistence really does pay off, down to 1000/1200 calories a day though which is a little bit hard to be honest.. Swimming last night really showed up how little overall strength I have so that's the new excersise I'm incorporating to get my strength up..

• Like 1

So how are you all getting along then? Any news? I seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment weight loss wise as I'm hovering around the 93kg mark, doing around the 12 mile a day mark on the bike and 20 mins of elliptic training. Ha do hike the daily calories a bit though so that may explain the plateaux that I've reached.

Currently I'm averaging between 1500 and 1800 as the 1200 was leaving me feeling weak..

I'm not weighing myself or counting calories but I'm feeling better in myself and losing some fat which I'm happy about. I don't see diet changes to be maintainable for me long term but I reckon I can stay off coke and chocolate and cut out the McDonalds and other fast food stick to that.

So far so good, just need to keep at the gym and hopefully get out in my bike more than once a week.

• Like 1

Still a stone overweight...weighed in at 97kg...GP thinks the triglyceride spike is due to this, as my alcohol consumption is virtually nil; have to attend a 'weight management' clinic now lol.

Still a stone overweight...weighed in at 97kg...GP thinks the triglyceride spike is due to this, as my alcohol consumption is virtually nil; have to attend a 'weight management' clinic now lol.

me too noj, if I can reach 13 and a half stone I'll happy camper. Weight management clinic eh? I can imagine the group talks now, my name is Chris and I love hobnobs :) etc. Before you know it there will be a full blown debate raging about the merits of jammy dodgers vs foxes crunch cream..

I believe it is just me and Jayne, practice nurse (who happens to be one of those stick people lo!)

Supposed to take our lass, however, as I do all shopping and cooking, there's really no point.

Seriously considering pulling on the padded shorts and getting the MTB out of the garage...sat for three years w/o use! Shame on me

We can lose those two stones between us! ;)

• Like 1

Do it!

seconded, been back riding for 2 months now, loving every minute, off to Mousehole heath this weekend to warm up for the strumpy splash and dash..

Feeling a bit knackered tonight, just had a tough session in the gym, kids made sure I only got three hours sleep last night and now I just want cake and coke. Good job we don't have either in the house today.

• Like 1

Finally got round to weighing myself (I don't have scales but my parents do). It's worse than I suspected, I thought I was about 16st but I'm much closer to 17st. Even though there are less chins under my beard than there was before I started at the gym I'm still a cake loving fattie.

Finally got round to weighing myself (I don't have scales but my parents do). It's worse than I suspected, I thought I was about 16st but I'm much closer to 17st. Even though there are less chins under my beard than there was before I started at the gym I'm still a cake loving fattie.

seems to be a rule of thumb mate that does, I thought I was around the 15st mark but really I was 16 and a bit, 3 months and a load of hard work later and I'm 14st 5lbs. So it's more than doable if you put your mind to it.. Looking to get down to 13st 7 and stay there if poss..

I've entered the total warrior again. Want to do it with it hurting as much as last time so got a lot of weight to lose by august.

Just keep at it mate I'm sure your be fine by august you been doing fine up till now think that's the key not to get disheartened with it as you loose interest, definitely helps encouraging each other on here though so keep it up.

I struggled to shift weight for years but once I realised I wasn't going about it the best way and sorted my food intake out I managed to drop nearly 3 stone, had my work medical the other day and nurse nearly fell over when she compared to my notes from 2011.

one thing I will say though is eating is key don't be tempted to eat less n less calories as your body will start working against you and go into fat storing state, if you are close to 17st I would say 1600 calories a day is far too low especially if your doing cardio as well, sounds silly but sometimes the more you eat the more you loose as long as the balance is right the food is clean and you keep your calories 200-300 under what you require to maintain you will loose. That app fitness pal is a god send as well when counting calories makes life so much easier, and if your counting you can still slip the odd treat in here and there to keep you sane.

• Like 1

I've entered the total warrior again. Want to do it with it hurting as much as last time so got a lot of weight to lose by august.

Is this one at the lakes mate ? Me and the wife are looking for one to do

Edit.. Just asked the wife and we are doing the stampede in October ha

Edited by bill79

I've been watching what I eat lately plus having to walk to uni and back 2 or 3 times a day has helped a fair bit I reckon. Managed to go down from a touch over 16 stone to around 14 and a half since i started a few months back. Trying to shed another stone but it's proving difficult! Cut back a fair bit on the booze and junk food but I keep lapsing back into my old habits!  

• Like 1