• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Been given a first car!

Jack R8

This should be changed too:-

Induction systems only work if you are deciding to change the intake manifold, the intake plenum, the exhaust system and normally the throttle body.

Hot air intakes or cold air intakes do nothing at all unless you make changes to the rest of the engines breathing. Also cold air intakes are normally run down to the recess of your front bumper. Does the same thing and you get to keep your headlight.

Very true, but was no point going into all that as i doubt he will be changing the mani etc lol

It just makes me laugh that chav's put K&N crap all over their cars and they don't have the faintest idea on what affect they are having on the engine. In most cases those short K&N intakes as they are closer to the engine gather more heat than the standard box intakes and actually lower the power of the engine!

Edited by Feedtheinferno

Should have made my comment clearer there is many different spec models in 1 cars lineup so it could be they released a 1l polo the same as yours but the buyer opted for ally wheels instead of steel so yes you can get original alloy wheels that would of come on your if you specified them

It isn't worth taking the risk of ending up uninsured because of mods, as if you hit someone, you could finish up paying for the rest of your life!

Anyway, you can do all those mods to chips and induction and you will still be blown off the road by old men like me in their "old man's" diesel automatic Mercedes E-classes, if they choose to!

Just be content to make it tidy so you then at least have a convenient means of transport. Even in standard trim, it will be quicker than the bus!

It just makes me laugh that chav's put K&N crap all over their cars and they don't have the faintest idea on what affect they are having on the engine. In most cases those short K&N intakes as they are closer to the engine gather more heat than the standard box intakes and actually lower the power of the engine!

Ahh but you get an extra 11hp if you have a k+n sticker on your boot.theres a thread on a forum where a guy thought it would improve his car by filling the engine bay with builders foam lol

Stay away from "mods", either buy a car that was made to perform from the day it was conceived or leave it until you can afford one.

You'll become a magnet for coppers and you will look like a helmet driving a 1.0l Polo that looks like it was thrown up outside Halfords.

Stay away from K&N Induction kits as well, they sound good at a standstill but they are pretty useless, previous owner of my ST24 put one on there, keep forgetting to rip it out.

Don't front your insurance either when it comes to it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice and the comments guys, clearly theres no point in modding this car :nono:   looks like I will be insuring it under a provisional licence to begin with as its

Edited by Jack R8

If you want some induction noise you could just drill holes in the standard airbox or if you have a restrictor on the airbox inlet (helmholtz resonator - decreases induction noise) just whip it out. A cone filter will just lose you HP due to heat soak from the engine bay.

• Like 1

Thanks for that I'll investigate the multi car policy, I love the rs2 thanks to my uncle as he's lucky enough to own one in nogaro blue, it was running about 450bhp last official figure but since then a bigger turbo and new exhaust system has been fitted, its ballistic!    

Just a side note - don't bother drilling holes in the airbox. If it's a 6N2 Polo (like mine) it'll leak crank case breather oil out of the air box where you've drilled the holes. Just do what I've done and use it to build up some NCB, and enjoy being able to drive everywhere with your foot welded to the floor without worrying about speeding tickets :lol:

I got given a Nissan Micra as a first car. Horrible little box of hatefulness. 

I'll agree with everyone else, modding a 1ltr is pointless. 

Just a though as it's something I'm about to do, VAG 1.9tdis are not much more to insure than small petrol cars. I got a quote of

Edited by hazza1304

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is! 

IMG_20140303_145547.jpg

IMG_20140303_145621.jpg

IMG_20140303_164351.jpg

amazingly fit it into the garage (its so full of crap!) took some precision driving and some acrobat stunts to get out lol! 

gave it a good wash and hoover out but didnt manage to get the seats out for a better clean, will try again tommorow along with polishing and fixing the door lock! ( a common problem apparently) so happy with it cant wait to drive it! 

oh and in need of new wheel trims, preferably genuine vw ones

the engine bay in my mx5.

ran a alloy pipe and made my own "k&N typhoon" kit, ran like utter crap, which i wasnt surprised about at all, stuck the mazda pipe back in with its resonator ..back to normal power again, with the added induction noise.

unless you are forced induction or spend hundreds UPON HUNDREDS on serious cold air mods..your silly K&N Typhoon is quite literally

Edited by PurcyP

The sky high insurance costs should point out the other really good reason not to bother modding your first car.

Chances are you are going to crash it. Might not be major, might not even be your fault per se (just something someone else did that a more experienced driver might have avoided) but the statistics suggest its going to get smashed before you are 20. Thats why the insurance premiums are so steep.

Even if you don't total it, you'll probably get the odd scrape parking, dint a rim on a pot hole and generally pound the life out the poor thing. So no point trying to make it look flash, making it go faster just increases the risk of that crash and whatever happens you are going to want something else soon when you've killed this one. So save the money!

Oh, and the non-standard wheels thing? Don't risk it. Had a sorts of trouble a few years back when I had a Smart Silverpulse stolen. The problem was the Brabus wheels on it - standard on the limited edition Silverpulse but not on the regular Pulse. My insurance (Swiftcover) were all set to refuse to pay out until I got paperwork from the Smart dealer that confirmed the car was as it came from the factory.