• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Go pro disappointment :/

carsonkev

Been looking at action cameras for some time now had a few cheap ones off eBay ect and been disappointed with them

Thought if your going to do it do it properly and get a go pro been looking on Argos for the past few weeks and Saturday morning found a hero 3 black for

Edited by carsonkev

look at the Ghost Drift HD cameras they are meant to be very good :good:

All the technical issues i've read about about the recent go pro's put me off buying one, I had a V1 gopro and it was awesome, took loads of abuse and never let me down. If i were to buy a action camera it would probs be the one above. But the cost over what you get is always a big issue for me.

One problem with the Gopro is the sticker under the battery is made of foil and touches the metal battery pins ;-)

Never had any problem with any of mine past or present had about 6 and still currently have 2 hero3 blacks with no problems :-/

Edited by hebby

You can't knock the worlds favourite action camera just because you got unlucky with a dud. Unfortunately it happens with anything that's mass produced. Gopro is the daddy, I'm not saying it's the best, but they started it off.

The guy who invented it only wanted a wrist strap to hold disposable cameras while he was skiing, but wasn't happy with the pictures from disposables, the rest, as they say, is history.

It's luck of the draw when you buy one and i don't like spending that kind of money to hopefully get a good one I've seen 100s of topics on forums where they've not powered on out the box brand new and seen where people have been on there 5th replacement and still ended up with duds

There's 100s of vids on YouTube on the problem I had not powering up so they can't be that good I tried all sorts to get mine going I know there the daddy' camera and wanted mine to work I've just reserved an other one on Argos 8 miles away luckily argos reruns policy is second to non so if this is dud ( that's if I collect this one ) it's going back

Mine's the v1, old, but rock solid.

Sorry you've had so much grief, when they're working, they're an awesome action cam.

Not much use for anything else, that is if you want to see something at a distance.

Yeah it's the latest hero 3 black that's hit and miss

Think I might go get that one give it another try its worth it they are great when there working you can't watch hardly any programs today with out seeing a go pro strapped to a dashboard in a car there must be some good ones out there

I'll get some footage off mine in the video section on here I was massively impressed with it just gutted the camera died

I bought the Hero2 and to be honest can't justify their price, they are good but some flaws for such an expensive camera, bad menu system and functional interface. I would consider alternative brands if I was to look at a replacement.

the problem lays with the camera system. 

lets be fair if you throw around your phone, it breaks.

you drive your rc into a kerb, 9-10 times it breaks

cameras when smashed about are made from very fine electrical components , they also break. 

tie gopro to car, if it falls off its going to break. over time the rattles , those rattles dont shake they vibrate at different wavelengths

some deep some short sharp, when they occilate together things shatter components fail. 

what you have to remember is this. the cameras are normaly strapped to a human, and they dont fall over very often.

they are mounted inside a car so dont get to much shock damage.

they are fixed to RC aircraft, they dont crash to often.

the only time you see mounted gopros onboard are bashing or even more FPV driving.

small crawler / truck style machines with pan and tilt camera systems running a transmitter for video feed.

they are not exactly fast just more a slow'ish drive around. 

actioncams are being push beyond the limits when you start hooking them into things they are not designed for, 

IE heavy duty hard core bashing/crashes /speed runs.

another thing is the menu system, most of the time you have very little control of the video capture.

if you could change settings like iso, shutter speed and the likes you would have just more than a actioncam, you would have a very nifty

digital image recorder

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

I don't think strapping it to a 5th scale is pushing it behond it's limits I watch a lot of programs where go pros are used I've just watched the guy Martin speed serried and they had go pros strapped every where lorrys doing over 100mph sledges doing over 80mph I can't see how a 5th scale is more punishing than that

Don't get me wrong it's in harms way if you roll the car chances are the brackets will snap and the casing will take a beating

I thought go pros where pretty tough

I've got the rest of the day till my reservation at Argos expires still not 100% on getting another one

What go pros are you lot using that have been fine ?

Think it's just the black that's hit and miss

I have the Hero 3 plus black and have not had any problems. I did hear there was a few problems will the hero 3 black. so I waited and got the hero 3 plus black. call gopro. they have really good customer service :)

I have the Hero 3 plus black and have not had any problems. I did hear there was a few problems will the hero 3 black. so I waited and got the hero 3 plus black. call gopro. they have really good customer service :)

The original one went back to Argos and I got a refund I've got another black now cost

To the OP, there was a known issue with certain batches of the 3 (mainly silver). Mine was swapped out, outside of the 12month period for the same issue.  I have owned several different versions and have only had that one issue.  GP were great, dealt with guys in Holland.  

The SD card used can also impact upon the GoPro experience.  I have put down my thoughts here - http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?p=1836