• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scrumpy's madforce brushless conversion

scrumpy jack

got a savox up for grabs dude...

will know more after this weekend...might be whacking a 5th scale one in mine MUAHAHAHAA

how the hell you going to get a 1/5 servo on there?!! Could be interested in the savox, but needing to buy a few things to get the truck up running first...lipo's and a charger for one  :xd:

Motor all in  :thumbsup: Also many thanks to Mr BB for sending me a few pinions to try out, I will start with the smallest and work my way up. Next on the job list is to mount the esc and sort out some battery boxes. I did want to test the motor on some 3's I have from my helicopter, I found a bag full of EC3 connectors, but unfortunately I don't have the necessary 4mm bullets and wire to connect to the esc  :sly: So next question is...what are the best connectors to run, and what gauge wire will I need? Was thinking maybe 12 or 14 gauge?

SAM_5323_zps28872c0f.jpg

Looks perfect Scrumps..

Got a temp gun ?  EC5s on that truck.... what ESC is it ? are the motor outputs 4mm ? might be tricky to get reasonable gauge cable into them.

Current draw on that beast will be fairly high ...

Will dig out battery holder today if 'i can find it.

The esc is a Turnigy 120a which has 4mm bullet connection I believe. Will take a pic of it in a min. Thought about using ec5's because I have loads of them, and just wanted to test the motor with the battery I have..but when I get some 4's I will use soomething else..deans maybe? What do you suggest..preferably easy to solder (my iron is pants)

Oh and I dont have a temp gun.

ooer....120a...should be ok...temp gun would be worth getting..

EC5s really are best...deans blow...plus...if you start to have various lipos...like 2x2s etc...you can use EC5s on both configurations by simply cutting the Plastic connector in half on the 4s...so its two separate plugs...one each can then go to the respective connector on the ESC

I said I had Ec5's, but in fact I have Ec3's, so I shall get some Ec5's instead. What guage wire should I use for them? will be going from the ec5 to 4mm bullet. Was thinking of getting a new multimeter one thst has a built in temp guage..two birds with one stone and all that!

Here is the ESC I have (terrible pic) It's 120A continuous/160A peak apparently. It also looks as though I can program it by pressing a little button in different combinations to adjust breaking etc, so hopefully I won't need the program box- I'm guessing the box just makes it a lot easier. It also has auto low voltage cut-off set at 3.2V per cell.

SAM_5329_zpsaee4a429.jpg

yeah...the button pressing does the setting.

And yes...it's a LOT easier with a program card. Depends how often you would want to mess about with the settings or swap the battery voltage

with any luck I won't have to mess with it to much! I must say the chassis does look pretty empty without the nitro engine and gubbins, kind of feel like I've neutered the poor madforce and robbed him of his manliness! 

I managed to sell the mta shocks I had on ebay, which made me just enough money to order some 12awg wire and some connectors for the esc. Hope my soldering iron is man enough for the job. With any luck I should be able to test the truck by the end of the week. Whats my options for mounting the esc? I have some foam I can sit it on, which Im guessing is a good idea..

well it moves under it's own power! I managed to wire everything up- was a bit of a faff soldering on the connectors, as I realised my soldering iron is only 12W  :shockingscary: I managed to just about tin the ends of the wires and get some solder in the bullet ends, but the iron just wasn't hot enough to mate the two together..so after a bit of head scratching I used the gas hob to heat it up and stuff the things together  :xd: I cant actually believe how well it worked, got a really nice strong solder joint  :yes: Will get a 100w iron I think. I mounted the esc sideways in the chassis- stupidly short motor wires! I have used  an EC3 connector for the battery temporarily until my EC5's arrive and I am using a 3's lipo from my heli just to test untill I get some 4's. Anyway all fired up and it seems to work pretty well, but the proof will be when I get it outside over the weekend- hopefully the weather will be dry. my thoughts so far...it seems utterly mental even on a very low spec lipo it seems to have loads of power, so on 4's it will be nuts  :xd: Next things to do will be sorting battery trays, as I don't think a rubber band will really be up to the job!! Here's a few pics of how she's looking.

SAM_5354_zps9eb4ad4c.jpg

SAM_5359_zpsa968de91.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

man....Monster envy ! that looks so tidy ! 

great work scumps...batt tray going out today...

oh and ESC..sideways....nooo ! the fan will pack up...you'll have to extend the wires chap

get some plastic strip..and you can make a batt strap to go with the tray I send you...the ESC can be glued and cable tied to that...it provides some shock protection and is also easy to remove for cleaning...

PS a mad force is not female  :tease:

PPS...gorilla taped those tyres ?

why would the fan pack up? the esc in the standard madforce VE is mounted sideways like this so thought it would be okay. I will make some extension leads up then as I have plenty of bullets and wire left...back to the hob! The tyres are not gorilla taped..I have another set of wheels that I want to use and will tape those up. Waiting on a check to clear in my bank, then I can buy some decent battery's and see what's what. Seems I will also need to play around setting up the esc as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of breaking and the initial 'punch' of the line is kinda brutal :sweeeet:  

hmm...I have heard the bearings pack up in them at that angle...lets face it ...kyosho are not known for their RC innovations  :xd:

What wheels you looking at dude ? bear in mind the hexes are some 12/432 mm dumbass size..

ESC settings...punch control..I tend to use my throttle control....its fun to pop wheelies at any point...or ease the throttle in for proper speed..

brakes I have set 50% or more....again I use feathering on the trigger to stop it going end over end...or sometimes I give it full force ...would rather the truck hit a tree/my leg/bench with its roof rather than its front end  :shockingscary: (I get carried away at times) 

Yep will gorilla tape them well, am also going to spray the rims white I think. Last time I ised these wheels they were terrible, i think because they have masses of foam in them..so will remove some or all of it and try them again.

try one set with.....one without..I am pretty sure foams reduce ballooning...you can whack them on the rear or front then..

oh and 100k at least in that CD

Think I got the hob soldering tecnique mastered!

I did the same..until I got a gas blowtorch...both work a treat !