• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

how to lay a digital image onto a lexan body?

lilllad83

right guys I've got a picture I want to have printed onto a lexan body shell (desc210) obviously I'm gettin a new shell to work on but have no idea how to transfer the pic :-( any ideas?

it's going to be kinda a prank present for a m8.

Thanks

there was a glue you could buy and stick the pic or whatever you want on the body but the bad bit is no-one in the uk sells it iam sure there is a couple of threads on with some people using pva glue with good results  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221351309758?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&limghlpsr=true&lpid=101&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=101&ff19=0

What I was thinking.... Sure I've seen transparent photo paper but can't find it anywhere, Wanted to print it either directly onto the lexan (unlikely unless someone that makes lexan bodies is reading) or print it onto fully transparent plastic If doable... as a last resort I will just glue a normal pic on the bonnet n laquer it but want it to look a bit better tbh... Ps Im a complete noob with computers, printers etc so be nice with techy terms pls :-)

What about having a 3D water dip company do the picture for you then they just have to it dip it to transfer the picture.

I don't know if this possible but must be worth a shot. Google 3d water transfer.

there is a method. 

using an inkjet or laser printer you can lay the ink onto transfer paper. 

you could do a full body transfer, but it would take time and a homemade setup to carry it out.

print of two sheets of a4 - a3 full body decal ( aka body wrap )

fill up a bath with warm water , inside the bath build a square pool holder ( this will hold your paper/transfer)

place your models shell in the water and under the square pen you made.

now the tricky part, you have lay the paper into the pen and let it soak, then slip the paper off the transfer

so the transfer itself sits on the waters surface tension, now as you move the body shell up in the water and it breaks the surface your transfer

will start to stick and wrap onto the shell.

i call it water dipping transfer. its NOT easy so YOU MUST PRACTICE to refine your skill in laying down the transfer onto the water

and gain skill in moving the body shell in the water and to the transfer floating on the surface

• Like 1

there is a method.

using an inkjet or laser printer you can lay the ink onto transfer paper.

you could do a full body transfer, but it would take time and a homemade setup to carry it out.

print of two sheets of a4 - a3 full body decal ( aka body wrap )

fill up a bath with warm water , inside the bath build a square pool holder ( this will hold your paper/transfer)

place your models shell in the water and under the square pen you made.

now the tricky part, you have lay the paper into the pen and let it soak, then slip the paper off the transfer

so the transfer itself sits on the waters surface tension, now as you move the body shell up in the water and it breaks the surface your transfer

will start to stick and wrap onto the shell.

i call it water dipping transfer. its NOT easy so YOU MUST PRACTICE to refine your skill in laying down the transfer onto the water

and gain skill in moving the body shell in the water and to the transfer floating on the surface

excellent it's only a small image so shouldn't be to hard (famous last words) could you possibly link me to the correct transfer paper I'd need please? Thanks :-)

theres a few ways, i have done the glue down method. 

another way is to find an image on a certain paper.

what your looking for is that glossy paper with a kind of plastic top layer,

just look around like a hawk and you will nodoubt find the paper im on about.

soaking this paper has a funny effect, the top plasticy layer lifts of as it does the image or what

ever printed to it also lifts ( poor mans transfer ),

Now i have also done this method but only as far as seperating the top and paper layers, never got to sticking it to shell.

i ended up making my own masking tape mask up on a mirror surface.

AS for the paper itself ( TRANSFER) 

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Inkjet-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_151.htm

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

• 4 months later...