• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2 speed gearbox Thunder Tiger SSK! ADMIN PLEASE CLOSE!

JHarrisonKerr95

Think I may have the gears.  Think they are from a TS4N, thought they would have fit my Tomahawk BX......but been advised ever so politley that they dont. 

Anyways, the gears look to be the same size as the SSK (Pretty sure the TS4N shares the same chassis, Im sure R46 will correct me if Im wrong).  Can post pics and sizes if you like.

Just had a look through my SSK bits-sorry no 2 speed but lots of other small parts including some alloy knuckles dogbones CVD's and stacks of smaller plastic parts,springs,links etc if you get stuck in the future.

Yoshi

Think I may have the gears.  Think they are from a TS4N, thought they would have fit my Tomahawk BX......but been advised ever so politley that they dont. 

Anyways, the gears look to be the same size as the SSK (Pretty sure the TS4N shares the same chassis, Im sure R46 will correct me if Im wrong).  Can post pics and sizes if you like.

ts4n an ssk share nowt but engine & fuel tank if v2.

chassis's are totally different from which ssk has own 2 speed unit

i let photos tell tale (owned ex10 & ssr moons ago )

ssk centre box

$(KGrHqNHJEgFH8nygt5cBSERzJc9vw~~60_12.J

ssk 2sp spurs

PD0646.jpg

ssk 2sp parts

lttrc0647.jpg

ts4n 2 sp (totally different arrange ) :whistling:

$T2eC16NHJIIFHJV+VFt)BSPJjpGmQQ~~60_3.JP

seen this? maybe missing 2sp clutch bell tho (hopefully diff crown gear an diff pinions are in good condition those where parts i was forever replacing on mine)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thunder-tiger-2-speed-ssk-ssb-ssr-sst-pro-12-or-15-or-18-two-speed-/291051832282?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43c40a83da

clutchbell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Thunder-Tiger-2-Speed-Clutch-Bell-SSR-PD0644-NIB-/290619682706?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aa486f92

As i've been going through my rc stuff came across shells used

IMG-20130403-00641_zps5c22c4c2.jpg

IMG-20130403-00640_zps66ca957d.jpg

IMG-20130403-00639_zps354e3ea8.jpg

IMG-20130403-00637_zpsd9fa3939.jpg

IMG-20130403-00636_zpscf740bc5.jpg

IMG-20130403-00635_zps797ac4b8.jpg

Edited by R46

Well, judging from the photos I appear to have SSK gearing and not the TS4N gearing that was sold to me on ebay (guy wasn't sure but thought it may have come from a TS4N). 

Now that I know I have SSK gear, Im gonna hold onto them sorry pal.  My daughters SSK gears are looking a bit rough on second glance, so may need them in a while.  Sorry.

Originally bought them to see if they fit my Tomahawk BX, but sold that before I got a chance to bodge a job.  Guy on Ebay told me

he thought that they came from a TS4N and that it shares parts and chassis with the SSK/SSR/SSB etc. 

Have you tried PhilsHobbyShop on ebay.  US seller, but normally has quite a bit of Thunder Tiger stuff cheap.

No problem man, I would try them but can't be hassled with shipping costs etc. I might look in my spares box for a few bits I can make a SSK gearbox out off lol. Should have some gears, bearings, clutch bell in there.

Cheers for helping me out though man, much appreciated of you.

Have a look around to be sure a 2sp would give much better speeds mate. You might be better off just gearing it higher for single speed plus those kind of 2sp boxs can be erratic on loose surfaces. Changing up and down everytime grip comes and goes. Im basing this off reading up on a buggy 2sp conversion tho so it might not issue the ssk. Still worth covering every angle before spending that kinda money.

If it was me ide sell the std engine and fit something faster and bigger then gear it high. Lrp21 lol.

That said I think thunder tiger engines might be one of the best engines ive had I brought a right state maybe 20yrs old .15 and it was perfect no damage and screamed even the piston looked good I was shocked. It was an old tt panda mrc with black top engine from early 90s I think bids took it to 50ish on eBay another big shock but happy.

TT seems to get a bad rep here at times, but I agree with you.  All of my cars are second hand, and Ive had them for just over two years old, so no saying how old they actually are.  All run like a dream and take some major abuse without breaking any thing.

As for SSK's is it safe to say that the V1 was single gear and the V2 came as 2pd as standard???????   

Well the gear on it at the moment looks quite big but it takes a while to get to top speed and sounds like it revs the crap out of the engine once it hits high end. Might just be a adjustment issue in the carb.

I'll definitely have a look around for reviews about the v2 and see if the 2spd makes a difference over the original ssk speeds.

I'd pop a new engine into it which I have spare hpi t-15 that should fit but would like to test the gearing out first before doing that as the engine is meant to be for another project I had for a rally car that I haven't even started yet.

Not sure about other engine fitments.  Bought a cheap Vertex .18 off ebay.  Works like a dream, but do you think I can get it to fit????

• 5 months later...