• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RX 6 volt battery pack - recommendations?

dumpystig

My 1/8 HoBao Hyper SS Cage Buggy receiver came with a 4x AA battery holder pack which really isn't going to give me much runtime between charges. Any thoughts on a good pack, with or without charger, would be appreciated.

Thanks pal, have you used that particular kit?

I've been researching this a little more and the capacity of these hump-packs isn't all that high so I'm looking into fitting 2 battery packs connected in parallel. The two main limitations are physical size and weight. Maybe Li-Po or Li-fe would be the way to go - at this moment I'm still finding out as much as I can about various battery types and characteristics.

Another consideration that I think would benefit me is the ability to charge all my different batteries with a dedicated 240V / 12V charger that I can use both at home and outside in the field from my car battery supply. 

I have about 30 cars and trucks running on hump packs of between 1200 and 1600 mah with no problems.

If you have doubts about capacity being sufficient for your needs, simply carry a spare.

After a bit more research I've decided on a LiPo RX pack for the buggy - http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8272

Plus a SBEC - http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10312

Both should fit quite easily into the small battery box alongside the RX unit, Failsafe and associated bundle of wiring.

Anyone else gone with LiPo's?

The 4x AA pack doesn't have enough juice, it should really be 5x rechargeables to give closer to 6V which is the optimum operating voltage for the RX unit and servos.

Just make sure that the lipo is well protected in there, I would have gone hard case if it's a basher, I was considering the lipo route for my buggy but not sure about it, might look into life instead!

Also for a charger get on hobby king and get the turningy accucell 6, excellent charger, runs on 12v so with and adaptor will plug straight into your car, and then just get a 12v 6a laptop power supply and your sorted for mains :)

Just make sure that the lipo is well protected in there, I would have gone hard case if it's a basher

Yep I've already considered that; the battery is fully enclosed on the buggy, with a hinged lid on the box and it's well protected within the frame of the cage. I will be compensating for any space between the LiPo and the box by wrapping the battery with some foam rubber sheet that I have, keeping it snug within the box .

The Accucel-6 looks good, as do some other Turnigy ones, also maybe the Imax? I've just not decided yet.

Edited by dumpystig

What's the battery you're using? And what did you upgrade from?

This is what I use chap http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-batteries/receiver-batteries/produkt/lrp-vtec-lifepo-rx-pack-23a-hump-2000-rx-only-66v/details/

I swapped an old Nimh hump pack because it went dead at the track and this is the only pack the shop had in stock! :lol:

They're fairly expensive, about

I bought an imax but it was the fake one, it works but it is no where near as good and the lipo balancing was quite out Compared to the accucell, its now my nitro box for rx and go start batteries :P

Edited by b_hawk111

That LiFe battery looks the biz, and negating the BEC is a plus. Maybe I should have looked into the LiFes but now it's ordered I think the LiPo should be fine.

I've read about the fake Imax chargers, they're pretty crap and tbh I'm not sure how anyone can tell if they get one until it's put to use...? So I'm still looking at chargers...

I always used to use the LRP VTEC's - never had a problem that wasn't self-inflicted!

I used to us 2S LRP LiPo and a 6V regulator - much simpler just to get a LiFe.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

That LiFe battery looks the biz, and negating the BEC is a plus. Maybe I should have looked into the LiFes but now it's ordered I think the LiPo should be fine.

I've read about the fake Imax chargers, they're pretty crap and tbh I'm not sure how anyone can tell if they get one until it's put to use...? So I'm still looking at chargers...

That life battery does look good, might go for one myself :P

There is a video on the hobby king website to tell the difference, it has a different time box, is a slightly different colour and doesn't have the sticker on the back!

Just go for the accucell, its all the charger you will need ;p

• 1 month later...