• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Conversion?

danzul90

I have a spare chassis, its all ready to run except for the lack of an engine..... it used to be a nitro but i would like to know what is involved in converting it to electric power.

Is it as simple as bolting a motor and battery on?

Or is there more to it.

I think it is a Kyosho chassis but past that i have no other details, i can post a pic tomorrow if that's more helpfull.

Thanks,

Danzul90

You Think its a Kyosho chassis not great this

The Kyosho chassis or the fact i'm not sure?

it was mate mates from over 20 years ago, he is not 100% sure but thinks it is Kyosho.

I had a look earlier and the servos are kyosho. also it looks like a touring car chassis.

A bit more to it than that really. A lot of modern chassis have conversion kits made ready for them. If it's that old, you may not be able to get parts to bolt straight on. Of course you'll be able to fit a motor mount on but it may need you to drill your own holes in the chassis or even make your own mount.

Not knowing the make or even type of car, are you sure you want to do this?

Its a spare so i don't mind no. a bit of drilling and if manufacturing my own parts like mounting plates wont scare me off lol

Its just some thing i wanted to consider.

Hi. Get a bit of angle aluminium, about 1/8th inch should suffice. Drill 4 mountin holes in it where you wanna screw it to the chassis, drill a big hole in it where you want the motor to go through it. put a blob of vaseline in2 of  the motor mountin holes (in the motor) . mount the alu on the chassis in an appropriate place. Put the motor shaft through the big hole. The vaseline'll stick to the mount where you need to make the motor mount holes :) . Then use a compass ( one of the ones used in drawin, not for finding out where to go) to mark an arc where the top motor screw can be moved to accomodate different pinions,improve meshing :)

• Like 1

Hi. hobbyking do bargain lipos,balance/chargers & power supplies. Some velcro straps put through slots in the chassis will help keep the batteries in place, it's available in super markets,rather than payin RC shop prices :) Sorry if my spellin's a bit off, my arthritis is bein a right bitch :/

The angled aluminium mount is great - get ideas from other conversion kits first.

Also, get an idea of which ESC / motor combo you're going to use.

Figure out where you're going to place the battery / batteries.

The mounting bracket must be precisely and FIRMLY mounted to permit correct alignment of the motor pinion with the spur.

Check out other conversions. Think about weight distribution - batteries at the back - you'll have a wheelie king, at the front, it'll be more stable / nose heavy.

Thought is required, but it's not that difficult.

Al.

We found the old engine yesterday in the back of a cupboard but couldn't get it to fire, i will have a better look at it over the next few days, if it is dead then i will definitely go for electric power, i like a challenge, easy or hard.

But i am sure i will end up needing some sort of advise or more likely help! lol