• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where can i find stronger Spur gear?

danzul90

Where can i find uprated possibly steel spur gears for my Thunder Tiger Tomohawk VX??

I took the car out and gave it a good run this morning, probably the best one i have had with it so far!

Unfortunately i have killed the 1st and 2nd spur gears!!!!

The stock ones are plastic and i can find these easy enough on modelsport. But with them being plastic i think they have gotten too hot, turned soft and then been worn flat! I have ordered some stock replacements for now.

Hopefully i can find some stronger ones as i don't want this to happen repeatedly.

Many thanks,

Danzul90

There is a small amount of the teeth left, i have moved the engine across in hope that it would grip and i can carry on using it for now. but i'm not sure it will do any good. There is a good 2 mm missing as can be seen in the picture.

OUCH!! lol, ill give another set a try and make sure every thing is seated properly, if these only last 20 tank fulls then i shall definitely give him a call!

Thanks

Any idea how long it takes Modelsport to send stuff out that is on back order? I am hoping to have it running again by a week on Monday.

Do the folded paper trick to get a good mesh.. Cut a strip of paper thebwidth if the gears,fold it in half,roll it between the clutchgear/pinion & spur. It should come out all  concertinered :)

Do the folded paper trick to get a good mesh.. Cut a strip of paper thebwidth if the gears,fold it in half,roll it between the clutchgear/pinion & spur. It should come out all  concertinered :)

Excuse my ignorance, what would i be hoping to achieve from that trick?

Thanks,

Danzul90

The paper trick is a good guide.... the teeth should make indentations in the paper....but not cut through it. IF they do...the mesh is too tight.

Too loose and the paper isn't marked deeply.

I do it by feel now though...you want to feel a small amount of movement if you hold hte clutchbell and rock the spur gear. You want about half a mm of play