• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What engine?!

ST TOM

heres some real dyno results not some inflated manufactures claims

http://www.georgiarcracers.com/forum/tech-discussion-area/engines/1651-engine-dyno-database-from-xrc-x-dyno

Real dyno results.

1) How is the dyno calibrated?

2) What correction method was used on the dyno?

3) What condition were the engines in?

I can tell you as a fact that power output changes radically with engine wear on this type of engine.

As the other chap touched on, power is a function of torque. A 23cc engine is going to produce a lot more torque than a 3.45cc one, however power is limited to how fast you can spin the engine whilst maintaining air flow!

A real world example; petrol vs diesel engines. A ~150hp diesel engine will typically be faster than a 200hp petrol one, even though it doesn't spin anywhere near as fast. Why? Torque (and appropriate gearing).

Edited by ms_sjo

lrp fella. if you do go into a shop tho and they offer you an engine .ignore what they say just make sure u consult yor dyno chart ......a 21 engine will rev higher then the 32 but the lrp 32 has that much power you can gear up . i run mine on 20% byron and it truly amazin . like i say lrp 4.4 picco is 2.9.....i have been to meets wi lads on here and no other nitro can keep with it .

Real dyno results.

1) How is the dyno calibrated?

2) What correction method was used on the dyno?

3) What condition were the engines in?

I can tell you as a fact that power output changes radically with engine wear on this type of engine.

As the other chap touched on, power is a function of torque. A 23cc engine is going to produce a lot more torque than a 3.45cc one, however power is limited to how fast you can spin the engine whilst maintaining air flow!

A real world example; petrol vs diesel engines. A ~150hp diesel engine will typically be faster than a 200hp petrol one, even though it doesn't spin anywhere near as fast. Why? Torque (and appropriate gearing).

agree thanks for that fell

Calm down guys! - Can I throw another hat into the ring?  Get a Jet turbine engine.. Loads of power. Kidding, kidding! :thumbsup:

When I had the Reedy VR121 manufacturers output showed around 2.8 if I recall and then on Youtube they did a dyno test and it was around 1.5 or 1.7.. Still had poke tho.

I now have an OS V-Spec 121 and that walks all over the Reedy, also have the 454 Losi .28 and that has great torque and is quicker in smaller spaces but not top end.

If it was me I'd ignore the outright HP and go for the torquiest motor with the right gearing.

lrp 28 on ther at 1.87bhp . theres no lrp32 .so read your research first fella.you always get people who try and help and you get morons who go into tiny tiny detail . the lrp 32 is more power then the picco fact .

Have you ever owned a picco 28 ?

Why would you advise putting a big thirsty 32 in a buggy or truggy and have to gear it up when a good 21 or 28 will do a better job in a truggy.

Ive already stated that they are both good engines but the picco is a much higher quality engine and will out perform the 32 in a truggy .

I know this as i ran both in my hyper st.

At the end of the day they are both good engine's 

No need to be funny with me over the forum im sure if we had a chat face to face you wouldnt be so clever.

Calm down guys! - Can I throw another hat into the ring?  Get a Jet turbine engine.. Loads of power. Kidding, kidding! :thumbsup:

When I had the Reedy VR121 manufacturers output showed around 2.8 if I recall and then on Youtube they did a dyno test and it was around 1.5 or 1.7.. Still had poke tho.

I now have an OS V-Spec 121 and that walks all over the Reedy, also have the 454 Losi .28 and that has great torque and is quicker in smaller spaces but not top end.

If it was me I'd ignore the outright HP and go for the torquiest motor with the right gearing.

Its all calm here fella :thumbsup:

Just shring my experience with both engines thats all

My missus' dad has a Mugen MBX6T and has the plus 21 4Buggy Nova Engine and it flies, especially top end.! - Running a 14T bell if I remember.. Initially it's not as fast as my 454 off the line but is probably faster overall..

It all depends on your needs and application.  Wide open spaces then top end, tighter spaces then torque.. Is fuel a major factor etc etc.  Loads of factor's to take in.

Have you ever owned a picco 28 ?

Why would you advise putting a big thirsty 32 in a buggy or truggy and have to gear it up when a good 21 or 28 will do a better job in a truggy.

Ive already stated that they are both good engines but the picco is a much higher quality engine and will out perform the 32 in a truggy .

I know this as i ran both in my hyper st.

At the end of the day they are both good engine's

No need to be funny with me over the forum im sure if we had a chat face to face you wouldnt be so clever.

My missus' dad has a Mugen MBX6T and has the plus 21 4Buggy Nova Engine and it flies, especially top end.! - Running a 14T bell if I remember.. Initially it's not as fast as my 454 off the line but is probably faster overall..

It all depends on your needs and application.  Wide open spaces then top end, tighter spaces then torque.. Is fuel a major factor etc etc.  Loads of factor's to take in.

+1 on that

heres some real dyno results not some inflated manufactures claims

http://www.georgiarcracers.com/forum/tech-discussion-area/engines/1651-engine-dyno-database-from-xrc-x-dyno

I have to say i would not trust those dyno results one bit since the variation between different runs for the same engine can be so large. for example.......

127 Picco P7-R Evo .21 0.210 - - - - - 1.08 @ 24,800 rpm 58.93 oz-in @ 25,400 rpm 39,300 rpm $309

127 Picco P7-R Evo .21 0.210 - - - - - 1.47 @ 25,200 rpm 59.01 oz-in @ 24,800 rpm 39,400 rpm $309

Even if you were to go by these dyno results the clear winner is this

138 LRP Z .28R Spec .3 Truggy 0.280 - - - - - 1.87 @ 27,200 rpm 70.77 oz-in @ 25,600 rpm 42,800 rpm $170

Edited by Baja 5b

What in sweet jesus have i read.

Anyway ST Tom unless you are racing i really wouldnt worry about what engine you put in it

put whatever size (within reason) in and stick with a good brand such as novarossi, picco, OS speed etc

Just to add my 2p when ever someone gets a truggy and wants an engine at my lhs the first recommendation is a novarossi then if budgets an issue it's the standard hong nor force .28 you either want a high torque .21 race engine or a good .28 not anything higher the hong nor is tough but the torque of a .32 would be a waste of time and money in my old ansmann terrier I had a force .28 and it went fast enough now I have the t8t with a alpha .21 engine and that's even quicker why because its a race engine and the run times are a lot better if you keep it to a .28

It's the buggy X1X CR not truggy . Budget isn't really an issue I just want a nice well balanced, torquey, but fast engine. The figures for the LRP 28 look good but so do the picco 28's! Which one to get tho?! That is the question?!?!

• 4 weeks later...