• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Dark Knights 3Racing Sakura XI Sport

The Dark Knight

I might be joining you with a Sakura but I want their F1 car the FGX, looks like it could be a fun project =]

Nice one, I'm really happy with my XI Sport, so much so, that I'll be selling my Mi5. It's given me faith in the Cactus 2wd buggy which I'm very tempted to try too.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're racing outdoors, I found the sorex 28 to be a nice tyre many years ago.

If it's swelteringly hot (hahaha, here in the UK?) the 32's are better.

But maybe your club rules dictate what tyre is needed anyways....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a good start to the outdoor season yesterday. I qualified 1st, then we run 3 run finals, best 2 of the 3 to count. First final I finished 1st, second final I finished 1st and third final was looking good until a tyre popped clean off the rim so unfortunately had to retire that one.

I have also taken on the role of race director this season, which was good fun once I got into it. Looking forward to the next round now :xd:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thought I better update this.

My car is still going strong and managed another clean sweep last Round 4, it's Round 5 this weekend so fingers crossed it's another good one. I missed Round 2 & 3 due to holidays but we are running 10 Rounds this year with best 5 results to count, there is only one more Round which I know I'll miss.

I've carried out a few changes to my set-up, added a motor fan duct to aid the direction of the air to the motor, add a stone guard to the esc fan and re-soldered my esc wires to try tidy it up a bit more. I'll add a photo later on :thumbsup:

I had another good day of racing with the XI Sport, I managed to TQ & take the win for all 3 finals. 

Only issue I seem to keep having is a leaky rear diff. I recently replace the diff as the old one leaked too, then I managed to strip the threads trying to tighten it that little bit more to try and stop it leaking. I'll be stripping the new diff down again and making sure there's nothing obvious. 

If I don't find anything wrong, does anyone have any suggestions to try get it to seal?

• Like 1

I don't know the differential myself, but I googled " 3racing sakura xi sport leaking differential " and the first link was to the 3racing site and how to build a v2 diff well.

Is that of any help?

Where is it leaking from?  If its only from around the screw heads, you might be able to get lucky and put a tiny bit of clear sealant around the underneath of the screw head and gently wrench up the screw until its flush with the diff (I assume the screws are countersunk).  Then wipe off any excess.

Also if there's a large o ring inside the diff, make sure you're seating that correctly.

Thanks for that guide, I've just ordered the parts to rebuild it as per the guide.

It seems to be leaking from between the two diff halves. There isn't an o-ring, only a paper gasket which has little tabs it locks into. It's not leaking excessively but it's leaking none the less and I'd like to sort it out.

What the differences are between yours and the V2 I do not know, but it sounds like it was a weak point of the car and they've addressed it with different parts.

Hopefully all's well that ends well! :thumbsup:

The V2 diff is the diff which is fitted to the 3Racing Ultimate. The Ultimate runs 40t pulleys front & rear with a 20t centre pulley, the XI Sport runs 38t pulleys front & rear with a 19t centre pulley.

I have an Ultimate on the way to me now to use solely as my indoor car. I'll be comparing the diffs when it arrives. From what I've seen, the internals are the same but the Ultimate has alloy drive cups & the previously mentioned 40t pulley.

The XI Sport share almost all the same parts as the Ultimate apart from the pulleys and rear belt.

• Like 1

lol partly true, I was considering another XI Sport but by the time you buy a few upgrades for it, you've also paid for an Ultimate plus the Ultimate comes with all the upgrades :thumbsup:

I'll be keeping my XI Sport as an outdoor car, I know it works and no point scratching up a nice carbon chassis :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a great weekend of racing in the Much More GP 2014 Stonehaven round with my 3Racing XI Sport. My predictions of a wet weekend came true so I spent extra time making sure my car was fully prepared for it and it performed faultlessly all weekend.

I'll hopefully have a video and maybe some more photos of the weekend soon.

10402421_10152506600720210_4166715743043

Congrats mate. Glad the car performed well

Thanks Davey  :thumbsup: You usually have to run the controlled Volante tyre at the Much More GP but the track was declared wet both days so ran wets both days. Racing had to be stopped a couple times due to thunder storms on Saturday! I love racing in the rain though, great fun  :yes:

Still a bit gutted I can't make it to the second round at Carlisle to defend my title as I won SPEC class overall last year but I can't do everything. I missed the BTCC Knockhill round last year to goto the second round at Carlisle. Nevermind, always next year  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I had today off work to recover from my weekend at Knockhill for the BTCC. It was a nice day so took the opportunity to get my new body shell painted, this is the body shell I won in the raffle at the Much More GP Stonehaven (SDRCC) round.

Painted it the same as my buggy with the transparent look. The body shell is a Blitz G35 0.7mm (light weight), never had a light weight body shell before so will see how well this holds up. Thanks to Keith at Much More for the prize  :thumbsup:

1795619_10152584157590210_24070712442334

10644488_10152584157735210_4326231909593

10418450_10152584157790210_5730324114797

10435131_10152584158200210_2395088605176

thats cool dude, decided to keep a tourer then instead of selling?

wise choice as i miss mine lmao 

Yeah decided to just keep my tourer, I still really enjoy racing it and would've ended up buying another most likely so made sense to keep it  :yes: