• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

If you got the centre Diff conversion too, I'd say go with a largescale 2028. The 1717 is a fantastic motor, it can throw the S5 around like a rag doll. Only trouble is, it's at its upper limits to do so. There's also very limited gearing options in the 1717.

The 2028 on the other hand is overkill and doesn't break a sweat. I'm running mine on 5s with a HW 150 Amp Pro ESC, temps on both the motor and the ESC are within limits. I've geared it at 25/52, which was a guesstimate based on the 1717s kv and speed. With the 2028 geared on 25/52 I'd estimate top speed to be approximately 35, not GPSd it yet.

You'll need special pinions that are 8mm bore and mod 1. RW do these to order. You can go to Kershaw in the states, but it'll take longer.

I'd like to go with a Castle XL2, but that'll have to wait.

There area couple of weak points on the truck, stub-axles are bad unless you land wheels down. I've just grabbed a full set of four from jennysrc for twenty quid posted, that's a fiver each, which is half UK prices!

Take your diffs out and rebuild them, make sure you threadlock them and shim them to eliminate slop. They're a doddle to get out, there's an HPI vid on YouTube on how to do it.

That's all for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Took her out tonight, couldn't resist it.

Set-up at the moment is; HW 150 Amp Pro ESC, leopard 58110, 780kv motor, 25/52 gearing.

Last time out the ESC thermalled quite easily, signifying a drop in gearing was necessary. This was on 5s, as was tonight.

However, tonight I decided to try something I've never done before, lower the throttle end-point. The motor was coping OK, temps did touch 50C. First try was with throttle down to 75%, this showed an improvement in the temp of the ESC, but it was still touching 60. Next I lowered it to 60%, this seemed to be just enough to keep the temps below 60C, so I pushed on with that. Obviously there was a noticeable drop in top speed, but she still covered ground really rather quickly.

The thing that was most noticeable was the increase in runtime! I flitted back and forth between the S5 and the Ally-Maxx, but reckon that the S5 was driven for a total time in excess of 30 minutes. Quite possibly more.

I've got a 22 tooth on order, so with that and tweaking the throttle end-point, I reckon I can find a happy medium.

I'll report back how I go.

Love ya, miss ya, squeeze ya!

;)

Latazz!

It is a novel approach, but if it works.......

I appreciate it's not how you choose a combo for your car, but if it'll give me more options, I'll make use of the tech.

• 2 weeks later...

Another run last night, this time on 4s with the throttle end-point back to 100%. Ambient temp was low twenties, so still quite warm. The combo were both reading 25C before switch on.

Speed was acceptable, I didn't GPS it, but it was fast enough to be considered hobby grade in my book. Motor temps touched 50 again, but took approximately ten minutes to get to that temp and then stay there. The run was my preferred testing method of dry grass, repeated speed-passes until cut-off, no cooling off between runs. She almost made twenty minutes, this I'm happy with as it means a normal bash session should see 25 to 30 minutes (in theory!)

The ESC had parts of it reading 70C, it didn't thermal, but was clearly running hot. I'm hoping this pinion, the 22 tooth, when it arrives, takes enough load off the ESC to drop those temps substantially. Finger's crossed! (I won't be able to gear any lower!)

If the ESC temps don't drop enough with the smaller pinion, then I'll have to consider one of two further options.

First off, I fit an XL2. As the motor is clearly not stressed, but the ESC is, then a bigger ESC should solve that problem. I'm surprised at this because the HW 150 Amp Pro ESC that I'm using never once saw temps like this when it was being used in my Baja flux, and that's approximately 4kg heavier! Clearly the addition of 4wd is putting a lot of extra load on the combo! The final drive ratio must also be higher in the S5 too.

The other option I'll come back to later! ;) If I do it, it won't be cheap, but should allow me to run 6s with no heat issues! This option should further improve runtimes too.

For now, she's still what I'd consider a runner, but I'm not ready to stop her evolution just yet.

Latazz.

'The other option.....' Intriguing..... :)

;) Gotta love this hobby!

Just to add to my earlier post, this truck's a keeper, fo sho! It's been a trial (mostly trial and error!), but I've learnt loads and have enjoyed the ride!

A job well done though, I certainly didn't have the patience to get there, or, in fact, wait for you to do so ;)

In future, can you be a little more timely with your investigations, spendings and cure....

• 2 weeks later...

In the last of today's light, I took her for another test run run. This time with my latest pinion from Neil at RW. I've dropped from 25/52 to 22/52. This three tooth drop allowed a full pack of 5s without thermalling. The ESC still got quite warm, but kept running, I may even get away with 6s! I can't gear any lower, so if 6s causes problems, it'll have to be an XL2.

Motor was fine with temps not exceeding 50C.

Speed was acceptable, I didn't GPS it, but I'm happy. I'll definitely try 6s soon.

That's all for now, I'll come back when I've had another 6s run.

• 3 weeks later...

Top pits my 5SC is just a roller and I'm starting on the journey, thankful for all your hard work and money to decide what I need to do next. I was set on the 1717 as I wasn't going to put a fresh new 1515 in there to let it just go up in smoke, so bottom line us it won't be driven hard no racing just the odd speed runs, I need to replace to centre diff with an Alza racing one then the motor..... Suggestions...

Top pits my 5SC is just a roller and I'm starting on the journey, thankful for all your hard work and money to decide what I need to do next. I was set on the 1717 as I wasn't going to put a fresh new 1515 in there to let it just go up in smoke, so bottom line us it won't be driven hard no racing just the odd speed runs, I need to replace to centre diff with an Alza racing one then the motor..... Suggestions...

Replied to your thread, have a read there. ;)

I'm not happy with runtimes at the moment, so I'm turning my attention to that now.

• Like 1

Today saw my S5 driven in anger, a proper bash. She performed brilliantly, took a lot of abuse, broke nothing.

Runtimes were actually OK, the 8000mah cells easily gave 20 to 25 minutes. Not bad considering her size and weight! This can only be put down to the different driving styles from bashing to speed run testing.

Tug knows this can be improved on! ;)

I'm only upto page 7 but wanted to just say that's a great idea for hpi to make savage 5sc octane. Well once the bugs are worked out. I'm sure it's in the pipe tho but the price would worry me surly they would want a grand lol.

This is a great thread tug awesome looking car Shane so many motors but you've done a service to others needing a change and wanting first time to be right.

I think it's an amazing looking truck but think the price would be too high considering what other options are around. Mayb why hpi binned it for something with bigger profit margins on the same price point.

Ide like to see the nitro version be fitted with something like a 4 stroke plane engine.

The pinions are hardened, once they've gone through that process it's very difficult to drill.

Besides, that motor, whilst OK, wasn't good enough in my book.

The power needed to make an Octane version would be more than the Savvy engine is currently supplying, so I guess it'd have to be considerably larger. At which point you might as well just build a 1/5, which what you've rightly pointed out already. ;)

I have quite a few videos from the bottom of the hill to upload. Looks good in the air.

Here you go.

got the vid from the top to process also. quality looks awful on youtube. looked better before upload.

and from the top. taken before the vid above.

Edited by jari