• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to RC, but I've decided I want to drift

gameoner

Evening all, im new my names Ryan & I live in Surrey. Right so I've always had a love affair with anything car related, but other than poop rc cars given to me at christmas when i was young (some believe it or not were wired) :yes: I'm that old, I'm a noob to the world of RC. A friend of mine recently got a nitro buggy, think its a thunder tiger something or other.. Its great fun and all, and now I've been bitten by the bug and I want my own! But the nitro's smoke and it sounds like a mini moto, cant see my neighbours or my mrs being too happy about it.. plus i've been on youtube (a lot) and my minds mad up, I want to go electric.. I also want to drift! I've been reading online for a few weeks now, I initially wanted to build a tamiya tt-01/02 with locked rear diff but now I've since decided I want a sakura D3 CS or a MS01D.. I'm aware that these kind of threads pop up daily, so i really apologise in advance.. The most appealing part of the D3 is the price. but I also know its an incomplete kit, my main question is to anyone thats built one can I get it running for less than about

Edited by gameoner

Welcome man. Glad to see another person on board!

I would say for the budget you have in mind, I would have to still push towards the MST's without question. The D3 is the cheaper out of the two but where it falls short is the lack of support and finer tuning. With the MST in general, there is a big UK base (80% maybe more of the UK drift scene who are competing) running their chassis so the amount of groups on Facebook are great for help.

Not to mention that MST have two lads who are more than helpful with their own shop/track now - Soul RC so if you are unsure or want to see a few models before buying, drive up (based in Northampton). During the week, you can grab em on their chat system so if you had any questions on what to buy or wanted to know what ugprades you should go for, they would tell ya.

See looking back at my experiences now, I would say that buying the best is the way forward but I already had some rc drift experience behind me. So what I would say, buy the best within your budget providing its not a tt01 etc. All I know is that a lot of people are selling their MS-01's to upgrade to either the FS-01D or the XXX-D so you can find some good bargains on Facebook for parts as most people break them to sell.

If you can, there is a track in High Wycombe which I attend on Thursday nights, you could pop along to that and ill be more than happy to run through things with ya and can have a go with my chassis. :)

Edited by teshi

Cheers for the replies and help guys! I think the main reason I wanted the D3 over the MST which is RTR was firstly the kit itself is cheap as chips (I know the electrics are bought seperately, but I hopefully wouldn't cry too much if I broke it my first time out), and secondly so I could learn as I went along and know what the parts are called and be abled to understand what you're all talking about..? Haha! Looking through the forum you guys all seem pretty knowledgeable and there are a lot of terms, words and abrevieations that have had me more than stumped. But the more I read, the more I learn..

Teshi is Soul RC a shop? Where I could talk to someone and get some more advice, see different models etc? I think I'll go with an MST and have a D3 as a back-up. I'll tell the mrs its hers or something? Also I think its best I go with NiMH batteries for now, as I've been well and truly scared by the thought of a lipo blowing up and setting my house on fire :D

Oh and thanks for the offer dude, I might come and have a look when I'm free but I wouldn't wanna smash up your cars.. And Chaosfruitbat, I'm based in Thames Ditton.

hiya pal. i went the d3 route and tbh pal the parts back up is poor. When you do find the parts you need you have then got a 10-14 day wait for these to arrive. It is a real pain waiting pal. and there is a lack of support tbh i got the rear toe in part and then had to email them to see what other parts i needed to fit them as no where did it state or show me what i need. i will sadly say cheap isnt always best.

I say MS01D as well. Got mine two days ago, still waiting for battery to deliver (went LiPo as well) - there is so much stuff to do on this chassis, which I have to figure out, its awesome. I actually believe you learn way more with that than say a TT01, a "beginners model". People here are really helpful too, no worries there.

MS01D was where I started after months of research back on Driftworks before getting into the hobby and haven't regretted it since.

As you will read all over this forum the guys are absolutely top top guys and offer infinite advise. They also have a shop with a never ending supply of parts with new upgrades and chassis coming out left right and centre as well as quite possibly the best track in the UK.

If you ask me it's a no brainer :)

Cheers for the replies and help guys! I think the main reason I wanted the D3 over the MST which is RTR was firstly the kit itself is cheap as chips (I know the electrics are bought seperately, but I hopefully wouldn't cry too much if I broke it my first time out), and secondly so I could learn as I went along and know what the parts are called and be abled to understand what you're all talking about..? Haha! Looking through the forum you guys all seem pretty knowledgeable and there are a lot of terms, words and abrevieations that have had me more than stumped. But the more I read, the more I learn..

Teshi is Soul RC a shop? Where I could talk to someone and get some more advice, see different models etc? I think I'll go with an MST and have a D3 as a back-up. I'll tell the mrs its hers or something? Also I think its best I go with NiMH batteries for now, as I've been well and truly scared by the thought of a lipo blowing up and setting my house on fire :D

Oh and thanks for the offer dude, I might come and have a look when I'm free but I wouldn't wanna smash up your cars.. And Chaosfruitbat, I'm based in Thames Ditton.

Cheap is fine if you want to just get out and have some fun but spending that little more helps you develop more as a driver. Trust me, the techniques im learning now would be nigh near impossible on a basic setup/chassis.

If you dont understand any abbreviations or what parts are, just ask. 99% of the RC drift world is stupidly helpful. I mean members that I drift with have given me belts when mine snapped and had no spares or screws to try something. Its a weird place since no one is truely and a-hole. :)

Yeah Soul RC is a track and a shop based in Northampton so a little way away but by far the best place for MST owners especially if they are new since the owners, Mitto and James are very helpful. If you want priority support, booked yourself a VIP pit for a day when you can make it (best to book via www.Soulrc.com). They will then be able to sit down with you and explain your chassis, how to tune it etc. They are like us, they WANT as many people into it and progressing since they are as passionate as us.

If I was to do it all again, I would have to be another MST customer again (looking at my current spend with them, its around

Soul RC are also maxspeedtechnology.co.uk, the Main UK distributor for MST products. 

May i also add go for the MS, the D3 is good, but there is a lot of tinkering involved, and unless you have an idea of what you're doing, you're likely to get frustrated and it won't be enjoyable! There's a guy at our club who has a D3 and swears by it, but we joke that he has spent as much as we've spent on an MS01d Pro to get it running about the same!