• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

power pal, pocket lipo charger

TheD0m1n0

hey,

i just got my first lipo and charger from msuk yesterday,

i plugged in the lipo and plugged in the charger, after a few mins the charger

started to make a loud noise like water running in a different room,

it was very loud, after 2 hours the lipo was not charged, so i unplugged it

and plugged it back in as you do, there was no noise this time

after about an hour i looked at the charger and it had 2 green lights lit up,

shortly after the 3rd lit up indicating that the lipo was charged,

today again after using the lipo i plugged it into the charger and proceeded to charge the lipo

only this time, the charging unit seems to be making a buzzing noise quite loudly,

after 2 hours the lipo is not charged, all 3 lights are still red, ive unplugged it and replugged it in,

now there is no noise and it seems to be charging, ill know in another hour if its charging, (i think it is like yesterday)

Could it be possible that the charger is discharging the lipo before it charges it or do you think there is a fault with the charger

after the lipo charged previously i was able to use it for around 30-40 mins in my car, the lipo is 1400 3s

thanks for any advice.

30 - 40 mins out of a 1400 mah!! how!? is your low voltage cut off correct?

it sounds like maybe its not and the charger is detecting low voltage on the cells.

not to sound funny or anything but have you read up and done any research into lipo's bud?

hey,

yeah today i did some reading up on lipo's, they are dangerous things if mistreated, i dont have a LVC yet and i dont know if my Kemora detects low voltage, however i still had a little zip in the lipo

when i stopped using it, i used it 2 times today off one charge, for 15 mins or so each time, on the back end of the second time out i did notice a small slow down so i stopped the car and took the lipo out

i then strted to charge it, which then prompted me to write the op, :)

well after 1 hour now the charger is showing 2 green lights so its defo charging, but why does it make the noise for the first 2 hours, is it discharging what is left in the battery?

chargers shouldn't make buzzing, fizzing or running water noises. 40 minutes out of a 1400mah lipo? was that gentle driving? your esc can't support LVC or you haven't got it enabled. Running lipos below a certain voltage will kill your pack.

Don't think you should run it again until it's sorted. Is this the charger? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-powerpal-pocket-lipo-charger/rc-car-products/39876

does the manual say anything about discharging or cycling? spec doesn't say anything about these features.

Update:

http://www.vaterrarc.com/ProdInfo/Files/VTR01000-Manual_EN.pdf

Battery
type/
Edited by stretch

until what is sorted, the LVC or the charger? i think ill ring msuk tomorrow to arrange swapping the charger or something, im saving for a decent charger atm, but i still want this charger to work.

ill stick with the stock 1200mah battery for the time being on the car, from your advice i think the charger is faulty.

Take the car, battery and charger and ask MS for a master class in lipo care.

if i didnt live 500 miles away i might have just done that, go easy on me, its my first car and lipo :( we all have to learn some where pal

until both are sorted ;)

ok, ill do that.. :)

thanks

if i didnt live 500 miles away i might have just done that, go easy on me, its my first car and lipo :( we all have to learn some where pal

ok, ill do that.. :)

thanks

I am going easy, I just felt some face to face technical advice would help.

have you got the manual for the ESC? if so you need to see if the low voltage cut off (LVC) is on or not.

has the lipo puffed up at all?

have you got a multimeter to hand?

looking at the cars manual it does'nt percificly say anything about LVC but it does say this for the LED function : Abnormal

overheat both - leds alternately flash with 1 beep per second

motor stalled -  red led flash quickly then pause for second then repeats - with 1 beep per second

battery over voltage - both leds solid red, green with flash every second and 1 beep

battery voltage low - red led, flashing one per second with one beep per second.

so does that mean i have LVC? i just have to listen for the beep every second?

Edited by TheD0m1n0

I did link to the esc manual ;)

ahh sorry pal, missed the update, i do indeed have that esc, and it seems it does have LVC so ill give that manual a good read tomorrow to figure out how to enable it, if it isnt already. i would have thought though it would come factory set to on by default.. ill check anyway.. thanks for finding that for me.

also no the battery isnt swelled, it doesnt even get hot while charging.. and its only warmish after use.

Nimh dont use an lvc, I thought you could run a nimh pack right down? Am I wrong?

i think what he ment was if he brought the car with a nimh battery in the box then the LVC wont be on.

as now he's using lipo it wont be on.

what you want to do mate it read the manual for the esc and get that LVC on, and keep a very close eye on that battery you have.

hopefully you got very very lucky regarding your battery not dieing spectacularly on you! i do hope at least you store and charge in a lipo safe bag?

i think what he ment was if he brought the car with a nimh battery in the box then the LVC wont be on.

as now he's using lipo it wont be on.

what you want to do mate it read the manual for the esc and get that LVC on, and keep a very close eye on that battery you have.

hopefully you got very very lucky regarding your battery not dieing spectacularly on you! i do hope at least you store and charge in a lipo safe bag?

Hey,

will do that today, i didnt run the battery completely flat, the car still had zip when i unplugged it, yeah though i think ive been lucky :) ill get a lipo bag today :)

Hey,

will do that today, i didnt run the battery completely flat, the car still had zip when i unplugged it, yeah though i think ive been lucky :) ill get a lipo bag today :)

it will still feel zippy even tho the cell's could be down too low bud.

i have the overlander bag from modelsport, large enough to fit 3 lipos in so good for when you expand your lipo collection :thumbsup:

it will still feel zippy even tho the cell's could be down too low bud.

i have the overlander bag from modelsport, large enough to fit 3 lipos in so good for when you expand your lipo collection :thumbsup:

ahh cool beans, well decided NOT to use the lipo again for a while til i get the charger sorted, on advice in this thread :)

ill get the overlander bag when i order my sons carnage for xmas in 3 weeks, only because i dont want to pay the

right, what colour is the LED when you connect a battery? flashing green or red?

it doesnt seem to tricky to change the LVC to be honest, its a well wrote manual, i've seen and got a lot worse haha

give it ago mate if it doesnt work then switch it off and start again :thumbsup: all part of the learning of RC bud :D

Edited by Bonez