• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stripping a painted shell.

Light875

I've recently purchased a second hand Caster Racing EX1.5 that came with a used shell that's seen better days.

The plastic is in decent condition, but the paint isn't.

Is there a way to strip the paint off so I cans start again? It's already flaking off in some places, but seems stuck fast in others.

If I can't I'll probably just spray it all over in a matt black and make it into a stealth look.

Nail polish remover seems to work ok. It doesn't seem to lift the paint off the plastic, but it softens it enough so that I can scrape it off. Leaves a lot of little bits, but nothing elbow grease can't fix!

I'll post some before and after pics later.

Nicely done!

Light buffing on the inside of the shell won't be a problem when you repaint. Some people give the inside of a new shell a light sanding to help paint adhesion.

How much nail polish have you used so far?

Not used a great deal, table spoon or 2 maybe. Diluted it in about a litre of hot water and let the shell soak in it for maybe 20 mins at a time between attacking the paint with an old tea spoon! The spoon gave me the hard edge i needed without scratching the plastic too much. As you say it should look ok once painted.

My only problem with the shell is that it's got a couple of cracks where the angles are too tight. Been thinking that I could use carbon wrap to edge all the way rounds and stop the cracks.

Will have a better idea of the overall condition once all the paint is gone I guess.

For paints as a replacement, i found Tamiya PS has been the best ive used. From all the hard knocks its taken, its very durable vs others I have used but im sure a few others have some good recommendations. :)

For future reference, nitro fuel works the best on paint (I personally tried loooads of different methods) if all you have is nail polish remover then yes it does the job well enough, to help you out (on your next one) lightly sand the shell (on the inside obviously) before applying the nail polish remover, it helps it get into the paint to lift it off.

If you painted the shell yourself and you know it has loads of coats etc... Use a rough sandpaper (240-360) if you're unsure just go for about 600-800 and go easy on it.

Makes life a lot easier.

Just tried to finish the job I started on this a few weeks ago.

Even with a much stronger solution of nail polish remover and water there are still areas of paint that just won't budge.

So I've decided to change plan, will now paint over the existing paint on the inside, and do a new design on the outside. Won't be the best looking shell admittedly, but will at least be uniform.

Anyone done this before with good results or have any tips? All I'm planning at the moment is flat Matt black all over.

Just tried to finish the job I started on this a few weeks ago.

Even with a much stronger solution of nail polish remover and water there are still areas of paint that just won't budge.

So I've decided to change plan, will now paint over the existing paint on the inside, and do a new design on the outside. Won't be the best looking shell admittedly, but will at least be uniform.

Anyone done this before with good results or have any tips? All I'm planning at the moment is flat Matt black all over.

Why are you watering the nail polish remover down, you should be using it neat.

Even neat it wasn't working on certain parts. It'd soften the paint a little but not enough to remove all the layers. And that was after I'd soaked it long enough that the shell had started to discolour.

No matter, was a gash shell I got second hand from the previous guy. Already planning to buy a new one in time, just want something functional for the time being.

• 2 months later...