• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FG Marder seen better days, whats it worth ?

kangarilla

FG marder beetle, found in friend garage after several years. Not tried to start it yet but intend on stripping it down and giving it a little TLC.

I intend to run it for bashing but need an idea what it is worth as I said I would give him something for it, but not a clue what its worth.

Not interested in stipping to set parts etc (just in case anyone wanted any bits but it is stock with little mods if any.

Any one any idea what a realistic offer would be him to be fair. Shell is badly damaged but with lots of tape and shoo Go and a lick of paint should be OK for some bashing.

Any suggestions on a fair cost if I can get it running, radio gear indicates the age though Futaba.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

It looks a lot simpler than my Baja and losi, what are parts like as an exhaust seems like a must at first glance.Are bits still available as it looks a 'few years old'

Loads of parts about both new and used mate. The marder has been around since the 90s when it was probably the only 5th worth a look and was only recently discontinued.

Started the strip down and it looks like it will have to go back to bare bones. The plastic tub which supports the shell is broken in 3 sections, fuel lines are hard and brittle, tank is thick with Oil, rear cylinder diff is all shapes.

Just curious to what would this be worth if i spent the time and money replacing and bringing to a high standard, with new shell, bearings, etc.

air filter 

cheers fella, air filter been sat in a bath of hot water and vanish came out like new so :)

This is pure stock though very basis and not loved the lad could not service ot maintain it so ran it and its never been touched. must be 5-10 yrs old.

I do like the simplicity of it though as everything seems to be made up and bolted to a plate, he has also spilled some engine oil oner the thing as it is coverd in it :(

Started the strip down and it looks like it will have to go back to bare bones. The plastic tub which supports the shell is broken in 3 sections, fuel lines are hard and brittle, tank is thick with Oil, rear cylinder diff is all shapes.

Just curious to what would this be worth if i spent the time and money replacing and bringing to a high standard, with new shell, bearings, etc.

air filter 

This is the tuning brake set with steel vented disc & fibre pads & it works very well with a decent servo. Get a 15kg servo and it will lock the wheels up on any surface. The tuning brake set is approx

Edited by dwarfy

Thanks Dwarfy, I think it just has no pads left tbh and looking at the servo I doubt its 1.5 Kg.

what exhaust do you run, the stock one which is on it, with a bit of bent pipe blows out and bits of oil which fly out all over the tank, nice and quiet but not really optimizing this engine.

Yeah looks like the pads have worn away. The standard disc and pads are pants even when set up properly, the tuning set makes a massive difference. 

Exhaust wise Im running an FG tuned pipe. Its far from the best pipe power wise but a decent all round performer and not to loud. If you have oil blowing onto the fuel tank the gasket has probably seen better days.

Its just the pipe out of the exhaust is riveted in and is a little 'loose' the guy had it bashed it and then took it to a shop a bloke a fix, got bored of the costs and didn't have a clue whether the guy was just cobbling it together or not but a stock can with a short piece of 15mm ali tube is not the best design I've come across.

Just ordered some 2.5 fibreglass sheets to try and repair the battered shell with shoo goo.

Cant wait :(

Exhaust needs changing though, any suggestions, anything will be better than the stock can.

Not mega money though something middle of the road please.

bought a BZM side pipe for Baja 5b and for 130.00 not exactly enamoured with it !!!!

Hi Mate,that link comes up no result,i can get it from RC online,they have a special offer on the new FG tuning pipe that's for the 4wd beetle too,so may go that route.

Goldman :030:  :fish:

Hi Mate,that link comes up no result,i can get it from RC online,they have a special offer on the new FG tuning pipe that's for the 4wd beetle too,so may go that route.

I type the part no into the search box. Give them a bell they will sort you out.