• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First thoughts on a 5ive

I got a 5ive myself recently and it's bloody amazing. These trucks are very durable I have no idea how you managed to bend a shock tower, it must have been a really bad crash.

I've seen many 5ives and not one had an upgraded shock tower but I guess you can have a look at freeprawnracing, they have loads.

I run this pipe: http://www.tgndistributing.com/losi-5ive-t-tuned-pipe-by-bartolone.html and it has really good acceleration and top speed.

I am also running stock fuel lines, didn't see a need for an upgrade.

You can get the pro throttle linkage by DDM, this will probably sort the unresponsiveness issue you're having. I got mine sorted by simply making sure the servo, linkage etc are all tightened properly. I get good throttle and brake response.

My telemetry keeps telling me my engine is overheating after 30 minutes of run time but I checked the temps with a temp gun and they are just fine. I am running a stock 26cc and after 2 hours of run time it doesn't overheat at all. Also even when it's hot, it starts without a problem. If yours only starts at 40C or lower then you should probably check your engine.

It's a racing truck after all so it corners like a beast.

I got a 5ive myself recently and it's bloody amazing. These trucks are very durable I have no idea how you managed to bend a shock tower, it must have been a really bad crash.

I've seen many 5ives and not one had an upgraded shock tower but I guess you can have a look at freeprawnracing, they have loads.

I run this pipe: http://www.tgndistributing.com/losi-5ive-t-tuned-pipe-by-bartolone.html and it has really good acceleration and top speed.

I am also running stock fuel lines, didn't see a need for an upgrade.

You can get the pro throttle linkage by DDM, this will probably sort the unresponsiveness issue you're having. I got mine sorted by simply making sure the servo, linkage etc are all tightened properly. I get good throttle and brake response.

My telemetry keeps telling me my engine is overheating after 30 minutes of run time but I checked the temps with a temp gun and they are just fine. I am running a stock 26cc and after 2 hours of run time it doesn't overheat at all. Also even when it's hot, it starts without a problem. If yours only starts at 40C or lower then you should probably check your engine.

It's a racing truck after all so it corners like a beast.

+1

it was a very mild 180 flip onto it's roof - I've done 10x worse with my truggies with no bending or breakages, while i understand the 5ive is a heavy beast i was expecting something a little more durable.

Throttle on/off is the problem - braking is fine, yet if you rev the engine the response is good.

Worst case the sensors where reading 149+, paint coming off melting off the pipe and the failsafe kicks in - i generally think there was a problem.

What temp's does yours run at and is it short bursts around a track or long 200meter runs?

hehe no good cornering like a beast when you've got no torque to get you anywhere ;)

Engine strip down is imminent.

No offense meant but you are the only person I know that has ever said they wish the Losi 5ive was more durable :lol:

It has to be the toughest RTR large scale ever made... Your shock tower must have had a lot of hits previous to you owning it.

For the overheating, just try venting your current clutch, it saves you money and saves waiting for the new one to arrive and it does exactly the same job.

Pipe wise, Bartolone XP big bore, all day long, best pipe you'll find!

Edited by Oh How Original

As said immaculate condition, thinking I was unlucky and the 5ive landed directly on the left rear shock tower.

Running an Uberrc kill switch, savox 0235 for steering, standard for th/bk, powered by a 2s2p 6000mah overlander lipo with a Dualsky VR-5L

Good to know that the paint comes off the pipe, might just wirebrush the rest off.

Needs an engine strip down and a retune as there seems to be missing torque at the bottom end

How long do you get out of the car before it overheats?

Depends how the car is driven.

Short burst around uneven ground was giving me around 10mins before the telemetry was jumping into the 130+ range

Long speed runs was giving me less than 5mins

Was averaging 90-100.

Then trying to start the 5ive up again, really did have to wait until the engine had cooled down.

If your using the telementry bin it as it is known for giving false readings. Take your readings from the way the spark plug looks and not tempreture if its black your running rich if its a white colour then your running lean. I was told by OBR it should be a paper bag brown colour but I try to run mine on the rich side of things. As for the bent shock tower if you were running it with out the cage on it wouldn't surprise me if it bent. The 5ive gets most of its durability from its cage and I wouldn't reccomend running with out it.

I am also running a 0235 for steering and the stock servo for throttle and brakes. I am using a DX3S with the telemetry receiver.

You said you're running a 2S LiPo? I thought the standard servos can't take that voltage :o

re the Bartolone pipes, silenced or unsilenced?

Depends if you like it loud, I do, so I got the unsilenced one, pretty pricey but worth every penny.

I am also running a 0235 for steering and the stock servo for throttle and brakes. I am using a DX3S with the telemetry receiver.

You said you're running a 2S LiPo? I thought the standard servos can't take that voltage :o

People have also burned out dual set-up Hitecs and Savox, along with single set-ups of all types.

It seems to be luck of the draw, which is why I personally saw LiPo as pointless and never went with it, because with the right diff oil and suspension set-up, dual steering simply isn't at all necessary.

I had a Savox 0236 in my steering and it handled like a house fly.

Oh and you're right about the telemetry, I cut all the wires olut for the telemetry on mine, not worth even bothering with.

Edited by Oh How Original

Wow good work on the shock tower!!!

I have only ever sold one before and that was to a guy (Don't worry Tony I'll not tell anyone who it was lol) who bent it after hitting a metal gate post flat out!!! He straightened it and used it for a year before buying the new one as he happen to notice the straightening had made it slightly crooked!!!! :)

I think you were extremely unlucky to bend yours :(

Nige.

Edited by Freeprawn

I have only ever sold one before and that was to a guy (Don't worry Tony I'll not tell anyone who it was lol) who bent it after hitting a metal gate post flat out!!! He straightened it and used it for a year before buying the new one as he happen to notice the straightening had made it slightly crooked!!!! :)

Nige.

Tony is an excellent driver... I simply can't believe you Nige :tease::lol:

• Like 1

There is a voltage regulator between the lipo and servos

Depends if you like it loud, I do, so I got the unsilenced one, pretty pricey but worth every penny.

any performance hit between the two, would prefer the silenced version hence the mielke pipe?

Was running with the cage, front flip landing directly onto the rear bolt holding the shock onto the tower - just very unlucky :(

Question - is there a brace that fits between the two the shock mount bolts (after the shocks have been mounted) to give extra support?